SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-19-07, 08:46 AM   #61
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
None of you torpedo gurus commented further on this, is this true? TDC overestimates Mk14 speed on high setting?
We didn't think it was necessary as that was fixed in the 1.2 patch long ago
Old 05-19-07, 11:05 AM   #62
OlegM
Engineer

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
Quote:
None of you torpedo gurus commented further on this, is this true? TDC overestimates Mk14 speed on high setting?
We didn't think it was necessary as that was fixed in the 1.2 patch long ago
Ah OK thanks. I do still get weird results with manual targeting sometimes - I don't know if it's due to me being an idiot, some game mechanics that I do not understand, a bug, or historic faulty gyroscopic guidance on torpedos (simulated by the game).
OlegM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-07, 02:29 PM   #63
NefariousKoel
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 43

Mr. Mastruko-
The gyros have a little bit of play in the Mk14s in-game. I believe the depth keeping has a small variable to it also. Not to mention the extremely small chance that one will circle around back at you.

Also, if you're using the Imperial system, a couple things are still calculated in Metric such as the Stadimeter and torpedo depth. This is the biggest problem maker for me.
Old 02-29-08, 11:54 AM   #64
RedHammer
Loader

Downloads: 38

Hi all

After the new release of the SH4 Addon Uboat Missions. I believe I am experiencing what I hope to be just a nightmare in my sleep: Target speed again rendered useless...

and even if it did work.. its not like normal sh4 after it was fixed.. anybody got a clue on how to get it working?

Sincerely Yours

RH
RedHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:06 PM   #65
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Oh No!!!!!

I'm afraid you're not in Kansas any more.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 02:04 PM   #66
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

...that screen shot looks vaguely familiar.....

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 02:34 PM   #67
DevilThorn
Watch

Downloads: 7

It does not work like it did in sh3. But it works just like in the american subs. Get two range calculations and then hit the get speed button.
DevilThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 09:51 PM   #68
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilThorn
It does not work like it did in sh3. But it works just like in the american subs. Get two range calculations and then hit the get speed button.
And then you have to enter in the AOB.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 12:21 PM   #69
RedHammer
Loader

Downloads: 38

Yeah I figured it out, the settings of the TDC was different, so that`s why I messed up, one look in my SHIII manual cleared it all up for me

Thanks!

Sincerely Yours

RH
RedHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 07:53 AM   #70
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132

could you be kind enough to make one for the metric system. And please explain what is bearing change.
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 10:52 AM   #71
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandosolo2009 View Post
could you be kind enough to make one for the metric system. And please explain what is bearing change.
Yards are about 1/10th shorter than a meter. So take the metric distance in meters and add 10% to find the line in the table.

A bearing change is the difference in the viewing direction through the periscope (or TBT, hydrophone sensor, etc.) of 2 moments you point it at the target.

Imagine standing alongside a road with a car approaching from your left. As it comes closer, the direction to it(=bearing) slowly starts to drift to one side of you. Once it passes you, the direction moves at it's quickest. (Be careful not to strain you neck ) As it has passed you, the changing of the view direction slows down again until it is at the horizon. The table assumes you measure this view-direction change while he is passing the moment when the AOB is 90 degrees.
Old 06-09-11, 02:17 PM   #72
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

1ft/sec = 0.592kt works for me.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 02:46 PM   #73
Daniel Prates
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Yards are about 1/10th shorter than a meter. So take the metric distance in meters and add 10% to find the line in the table.
Interesting issue since few people in this forum are used to metric system. I just happen to live in a country were metric system applies to everything, so it's feet and miles and knots that makes things weird. But you get used to it.

So what's a yard? It is legally defined as beint exactely 0.9144 metre. That is the weird translation to it, since it is so much uneven. But it is also legally defined as being 3 FEET, or 36 INCHES. So it is a unit that belongs to the anglo-american system.
Daniel Prates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 03:28 PM   #74
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Perhaps one of these decades the US will go metric.

If it were not for the drug trade, our kids would never learn the metric system.
Old 06-10-11, 08:28 AM   #75
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

The sizes of metric measurements just don't fit the world, people or the things in it very well. When designing environments for humans, using measurements derived from basic human characteristics is appropriate. That is why the metric system will never be adopted in the US.

However, for dimensions having nothing to do with human beings, astronomical measurements, microscopic measurements, atomic physical properties, etc, there is some justification for using the metric system. In any event there is no decent excuse for any one not having a decent understanding of the metric system.

That doesn't mean that measuring my height in centimeters or weight in kilograms or the size of a room in meters isn't utterly ridiculous. Dimensions for tools and environments for use by man should be based on measurements and proportions of man. Base 10 is inappropriate, as physical properties are based on multiples of small prime numbers. Hence the common 12 units, 6 units, three units and other non decimal ratios in the English measurement system. You thought they were arbitrary? Think again. They are natural.

I know! Let's decree that the ratio between the diameter and circumference of a circle must be 10 for ease of calculation! Since when is ease of calculation justification for the destruction of natural truth?
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote