SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-03-10, 06:27 AM   #166
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119
Uploads: 0

but this means the boat has subs on rails again when removing the sub folder?

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 06:54 AM   #167
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Well yes, when you delete that folder it'll be back to stock unless you use UHS...
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 08:50 AM   #168
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

Yes but i removed the sub folder from UHS. Isnt the sub behavure on the waves supposed to be in there? I,m a little confused now. Should i remove the submarine folder from UHS or The invirement mod 2.X? I removed it from UHS and the sub doesnt lie low anymore should i put back the submarine folder for UHS and remove the Submarine folder from the Inviremental mod 2.x insted then?

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 09:26 AM   #169
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
Yes but i removed the sub folder from UHS. Isnt the sub behavure on the waves supposed to be in there? I,m a little confused now. Should i remove the submarine folder from UHS or The invirement mod 2.X? I removed it from UHS and the sub doesnt lie low anymore should i put back the submarine folder for UHS and remove the Submarine folder from the Inviremental mod 2.x insted then?
Remove the sub folder from Env 2.2 of course. Env 2.2 is a weather and sea mod, there's really no reason it should have had a submarine movement part to it. UHS is all about sub movement, so removing its submarine folder would critically break the mod.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 01:12 PM   #170
MattDizzle
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ddrgn, or whoever is managing this mod now: Would you consent to this being put into part of a larger Compilation mod, as i said in another thread on this forum?

I'm looking to assemble several mods in a large easy for new people to install "Community Mod pack", and full, prominent credit would be given to you and the other mod authors involved. Would you be willing to help the community by allowing your mod to be used?
Old 06-03-10, 01:53 PM   #171
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDizzle View Post
Ddrgn, or whoever is managing this mod now: Would you consent to this being put into part of a larger Compilation mod, as i said in another thread on this forum?

I'm looking to assemble several mods in a large easy for new people to install "Community Mod pack", and full, prominent credit would be given to you and the other mod authors involved. Would you be willing to help the community by allowing your mod to be used?
Sure. You can use it.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 09:26 PM   #172
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

I noticed some of the variables being adjusted, so i thought id toss a couple words of warning, though i don't know if the subject has come up before or not.

CG height. Be careful not adjust it too much for two reasons. One, if for whatever reason the users sub is rammed, or somehow turned over, they might end up staying that way. If anyone has any memory of seeing screenshots of upside down uboats from SH3, this, to my memory, is why. Two, pitch and roll is nice, but there is a point where it becomes excessive, rendering the binocular and UZO views an execercise in frustration. Unless of course you feel that is realistic, in which case ignore this second point.

Front back CG. I forget the exact variable name, but id advise against using large numbers here. ( 0.5 being the default variable if memory serves correctly). The reason is, if the users sub becomes damaged and flooding occurs, a minor amount of flooding could have adverse effects on the boats trim. An increment of 1 whole number on this variable can exponential effects on the trim if damaged/ flooded underwater. Minor to moderate flooding in one end of the boat or another could result in a 70 to 80 degree incline or something along those lines. In any event, if set the front/back CG too far off center, the end user will notice over time that they're boat always sinks by either the bow or stern when damaged, and never the other.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-10, 09:38 PM   #173
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
I noticed some of the variables being adjusted, so i thought id toss a couple words of warning, though i don't know if the subject has come up before or not.

CG height. Be careful not adjust it too much for two reasons. One, if for whatever reason the users sub is rammed, or somehow turned over, they might end up staying that way. If anyone has any memory of seeing screenshots of upside down uboats from SH3, this, to my memory, is why. Two, pitch and roll is nice, but there is a point where it becomes excessive, rendering the binocular and UZO views an execercise in frustration. Unless of course you feel that is realistic, in which case ignore this second point.

Front back CG. I forget the exact variable name, but id advise against using large numbers here. ( 0.5 being the default variable if memory serves correctly). The reason is, if the users sub becomes damaged and flooding occurs, a minor amount of flooding could have adverse effects on the boats trim. An increment of 1 whole number on this variable can exponential effects on the trim if damaged/ flooded underwater. Minor to moderate flooding in one end of the boat or another could result in a 70 to 80 degree incline or something along those lines. In any event, if set the front/back CG too far off center, the end user will notice over time that they're boat always sinks by either the bow or stern when damaged, and never the other.
Hi Ducimus, thanks for your input. These variables have been tested with hundreds of hours of gameplay among many players in both multiplayer, single player and campaign environments.

I for one have been rammed many times, I have never flipped over etc. I encourage people to let me know of any issues they have when using this mod.
Old 06-03-10, 10:50 PM   #174
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67

Hmm, Ok i read what your telling me there. I wont offer any more unwanted input/info however well intentioned it may be.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 03:23 AM   #175
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

nice and very important mod, thanks for that !

...a pity that dive dept is set to a reachable dept, because what should i do if i am below this dept and want to dive deeper using the "D" key ?

even vanilla sounds say "deeper" or "deeper damn it"...

come on, i mean i also want to control my sub without any UI visible using the keyboard only, and if i command dive, the sub have to dive, even if we dive to deep then

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 11:47 AM   #176
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184

I fixed my problem with the low periscope by editing and restoring the default values on scope depth like this: PeriscopeDepth=12;meters 12.5

ddrgn, what was the reason to lower the scope depth at 14m? I searched the uboat.net and found no evidence that the attack scope was bellow 3m+ above sea level...
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 06:39 PM   #177
Stormfly
Serial Port Protector

Downloads: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I fixed my problem with the low periscope by editing and restoring the default values on scope depth like this: PeriscopeDepth=12;meters 12.5

ddrgn, what was the reason to lower the scope depth at 14m? I searched the uboat.net and found no evidence that the attack scope was bellow 3m+ above sea level...
yap the dept and this is all fixed on my side long ago, but what is the reason for this entrys ?

Stormfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 02:14 PM   #178
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post

Personal preference.

IN stock ordering peri depth is 11/12 meters, personally I don't like the scope sticking out to high when I go peri depth, I lowered it so I can manually adjust my depth. In different sea conditions in stock as well, 11/12 meters will have your boats bow and stern popping out in swells, which is quite lame.

In real life periscope depth wasn't a set control, it was a command, a captain could alter to whatever he felt should be periscope depth, and I am quite certain he would adjust his depth to get the best view w/o his scope poking out 3 meters in the air.

This setting gives you more control especially under TC, you order peri depth and your scope will breach slightly and if you want up more, manually adjust it. In different sea conditions its position varies, and from boat to boat of course.

Also most sites/reports/logs report periscope depth to "around" 15 meters ;]

Another thing would be I like my boat lower in the water. During convoy attacks its easy to forget about the DD's buzzing around when focusing on target freighters. The deeper your boat is the less chance of being split in two after being rammed.

Last edited by ddrgn; 06-05-10 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 05:45 PM   #179
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
Another thing would be I like my boat lower in the water. During convoy attacks its easy to forget about the DD's buzzing around when focusing on target freighters. The deeper your boat is the less chance of being split in two after being rammed.
Makes sense, but did any boats actually ride like that? I can kinda picture it if they just left port all loaded to the gills with supplies and torpedoes, but it seems to me that if you wanted that low of a draft mid-patrol you'd either have to flood all your trim tanks to compensate for lost weight or partially flood the ballast tanks, which I imagine might be tricky...
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-10, 05:56 PM   #180
M4XDmG
Helmsman

Downloads: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Makes sense, but did any boats actually ride like that? I can kinda picture it if they just left port all loaded to the gills with supplies and torpedoes, but it seems to me that if you wanted that low of a draft mid-patrol you'd either have to flood all your trim tanks to compensate for lost weight or partially flood the ballast tanks, which I imagine might be tricky...
Are we talking about "Decks awash" here?
M4XDmG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
favorite