SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-10, 12:09 PM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
...receiving renown for releasing senior officers (a bit of an incentive and reward for sharing your proteges around)
That's a cool idea!

Quote:
including the latest ship names file (if Sailor Steve gives me permission)
Permission???

Seeing that without Commander there wouldn't be any ship names at all, of course you have my permission, blessings and full support!

(but I'll still be doing updates 'til the cows come home)

Quote:
The question is though...would there be interest in this minor update? It would require a d/l of the full 20mb package (ie treated as a full release), so would completely replace the existing d/l.
I'm happy either way, so it's up to everybody else (and yourself) to judge that one.

Quote:
If there is sufficient interest, then given that the current release is now over 15 months old, I'd like to know if there are any other little nuances or annoyances that you'd like "fixed".
Nothing I can think of, other than what you've mentioned. But I still miss the banners from the older version.
Old 05-07-10, 02:50 PM   #2
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11
Default Suggestions

?Make it compatible with SH5?
Old 05-07-10, 02:54 PM   #3
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post

But seriously
Yes do

I dont think is possible with the current campaign system
Give it time though and that may change to something SH4 like

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 03:47 PM   #4
Mustang01
Watch

Downloads: 25
Default Incredible Experience

Gentlemen,
I'm new to the forum and subsims in general, as a friend of mine recommended I get into SH3/GWX 3 since I've been a life-long WWII buff. I don't consider myself to be a "gamer", so I was a little apprehensive at first. All I can now do is express my gratitude for all of those who contributed to the GWX project since I was totally blown away by the depth and feel of the game. In my view, this is an "achievement" in every sense of the word, much more than a “game”, bravo. I can't imagine the man-hours that went into creating and updating these mods but I just wanted you to know how thankful we "non-techies" are that folks like you are out there who share our passion for living history. I paid a visit to the wreck of the U-352 last summer and had family in the US Merchant Marine during WWII, so coupled with my half-German heritage and the fact that the "U-Who" was discovered in what I consider to be my backyard, I feel a personal connection to the Battle Of The Atlantic and the GWX team has built an inspiring tribute to the men from both sides. It's reassuring to see digital technology used for such a noble goal when there are so many negative examples of mindless pop-culture to disappoint. Again, simply amazing work. I'm now trying to get Commander 3.2 to run to liven things up. I've built some "external tools" to aid in manual targeting (KM attack disk and my own long-range torpedo attack range finding tool to work with the nav map and yes, red light bulb for my desk). I've even got my 70 year-old uncle hooked since we used to watch re-runs of “Victory At Sea” together when I was young. I hope to draw on the expertise I see on this board for future questions and wouldn't mind assisting in historical research for future projects if necessary. Thanks again!
Sean
Mustang01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-10, 09:00 PM   #5
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958 View Post
What's this "SH5" of which you speak?
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 08:29 AM   #6
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
What's this "SH5" of which you speak?
mmmmmmm!! I must have misspoken.
Old 05-07-10, 08:57 PM   #7
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
That's a cool idea!
It was Pablo's idea.

Quote:
Permission???

Seeing that without Commander there wouldn't be any ship names at all, of course you have my permission, blessings and full support!
Thank you SS.

Quote:
(but I'll still be doing updates 'til the cows come home)
Wouldn't want it any other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
The ability, when you've retired and you want to turn your boat over to your exec, to be able to select one of your existing officers and turn the boat over to him.
The problem with this approach is that your chosen officer will lose their medals, badges and rank upon "promotion". They will also lose all personal history. In essence they would be the same "person" by name only. No way SH3Cmdr could workaround this.
Old 05-07-10, 09:11 PM   #8
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlechter pfennig View Post
The ability, when you've retired and you want to turn your boat over to your exec, to be able to select one of your existing officers and turn the boat over to him.
Quote:
The problem with this approach is that your chosen officer will lose their medals, badges and rank upon "promotion". They will also lose all personal history. In essence they would be the same "person" by name only. No way SH3Cmdr could workaround this.
Well darn! Well, it didn't hurt to ask, and I appreciate the detailed explanation too!
schlechter pfennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-10, 02:18 AM   #9
shanetrott
Seaman

Downloads: 36

Yes please. Updated version would be great !!!!!
shanetrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 02:19 AM   #10
JScones
Navy Seal

It's doable, certainly. But the key words in my post were "if there are any other little nuances or annoyances that you'd like "fixed"."

That's exclusive.
Old 05-13-10, 07:57 AM   #11
schlechter pfennig
Commander

Quote:
It's doable, certainly. But the key words in my post were "if there are any other little nuances or annoyances that you'd like "fixed"."

That's exclusive.
Well, true. I guess I was just 'wishing' a little, since what you already have is pretty spectacular.
Old 05-13-10, 09:24 AM   #12
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Hello Jaesen !

I've always missed a little thing at the Commander: In the Super-MOD LivingSilentHunter we start our career as the Rank "Oberleutant z.S." (as in Real Life), and the maximum Rank for Players in LSH are "Korvettenkapitän". In other super mods the start Rank are "Leutnant z.S." (no U-Boat-Commander was in Real Life only "Leutnant z.S.") and the maximum Rank is then "Kapitänleutnat". But you can do the same in other Super MODs also to "push" the Start Rank for Players to "Oberleutnant z.S." by editing some Files (the en_Menu.txt for example).

When I play for example LSH (or a another Super-MOD by push the Start Rank by myself to Oberleutnant) with SH3-Commander, I must editing for the correct show my Rank in SH3-Commander the File "SH3Cmdr_de.txt" in the Line 187 - 194. That´s no problem for me and it works in SH3-Commander.

Bur here comes my question or Suggestion for a new Version of SH3-Commander:

Jaesen, is it possible, that the edited Start Rank for Players to "Oberleutnant z.S." shows in SH3-Commander in the "Crew List" near by my Name the "Shoulder Flap" for an Oberleutnant (the Soulder Flap with one star) too or is this Hardcoded ?

I mean, now I start my Career as an Oberleutnant, in SH3-Commander too, but the Shoulder Flap near by my Name in Crew List shows the Soulder Flap only for an "Leutnant z.S." (without an star on the Flap).

I hope, do you know what I mean, and sorry for my bad english !!!

Best regards,
Magic
Old 05-14-10, 03:28 AM   #13
JScones
Navy Seal

Open the "...\SH3 Commander\Personnel Files" folder. Rename rank images accordingly (ie rank11.gif becomes rank10.gif and so on).

But IIRC this will also carry on to your officer crew, meaning your Leutnants will carry Oberleutnant rank images and so on.

Unfortunately, due to the hassle and endless complaints from at least one user that couldn't understand what his problem was, I removed all rank references from SH3Cmdr a few releases ago and in doing so removed support for "rank bumping". More on this under "Troubleshooting" in the User Guide.

Last edited by JScones; 05-14-10 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-14-10, 04:33 AM   #14
Magic1111
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 783

Quote:
Open the "...\SH3 Commander\Personnel Files" folder. Rename rank images accordingly (ie rank11.gif becomes rank10.gif and so on).

But IIRC this will also carry on to your officer crew, meaning your Leutnants will carry Oberleutnant rank images and so on.

Yes, I had thought of that! My Player Rank shows then the right images, but then are the rank images for my crew officers wrong! This is not a good solution!

Best regards,
Magic
Old 05-16-10, 10:44 PM   #15
schlechter pfennig
Commander

OK, this isn't a little nuance or annoyance . . .

Last edited by schlechter pfennig; 05-17-10 at 11:29 AM. Reason: my bad; deleted bulk of post

Tags
sh3 commander