SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-08, 01:22 PM   #1
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2
Default A Thrift Store Treasure

One thing I like is shopping at thrift stores, whenever I get the chance. You never know what tarnished treasures you might find at better than bargain bin prices!

I especially love combing through the books. I've found many old, out-of-print gems both in hardback and paperback.

Case in point:

I just purchased, for 99 cents, a 1973 reprint of "U-Boat 977" by Heinz Schaeffer, commander of the titular u-boat. It was originally published in 1952.

According to the jacket blurb and flyleaf teaser, it is a true account of Schaeffer's career, from his enlistment into Officer's Training to the four years spent in the Ubootwaffe during World War II. Instead of surrendering his u-boat immediately upon Donitz's last orders as WWII ended, he instead spent 66 days submerged, hunted by the Allies, as he made his way to Argentina to surrender there and live out his life. U-977 became infamous among conspiracy theorists as the "escape boat" that carried Adolf Hitler to exile in Argentina.

It certainly seems like it will be an interesting read but it also looks to be too short, at only 148 pages. I suppose you can't expect a "Das Boot" epic from someone who was more used to writing terse patrol logs.