SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-07, 11:51 AM   #29
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater
There were some plans in place by the IJN to patrol certain sea lanes (about 30km wide swath) between certain ports. I think something similar would work. Radiused waypoints to provide coverage, then looped waypoints to mix up the flight plans.

Looks like by 1944, most ASW squadrons had large numbers of radar equipped planes. They flew some at night as well. About 1/3 to 1/2 had MAD gear as well.

Wonder of a radar could be given the same negative surface factor and turned into a MAD so that the planes could have MAD and visual sensors. We'd want the range so short on the MAD that it would only have a max range of a few hundred meters. Planes would fly waypoints at 50m. and maybe detect to 100-150m depth. Course since their air dropped DCs only had 25m and 45m settings, they can't prosecute the target effectively. They will call in more planes/ships, however.
I was reading about this in T. Roscoe's book yesterday. They needed 80 planes to be able to patrol the corridor effectively. The MAD idea is good. The planes had to fly low and only could detect in a path about 150 meters wide (I think that's what I read). When a MAD contact occurred, a marker would be dropped automatically. After getting 4 "marks" they would attack in the middle of them. I doubt that much detail is doable (or nessecary). Honestly, I think the MAD will be tough to model mainly because the computer won't be working on "best guesstimate" properties like RL pilots had to. It would be nice to add a few radar equipped Emilys to fly night patrol as well (as you mentioned).

Going back to SD Radar for a moment: I was going to check out dat files et al with minitweaker last night but my tweaked files aren't giving me modifiable data at the moment. Would it be possible to put a small up angle on radar so it doesn't detect low flying planes until they're very close? MinHeight=2 perhaps?

I think we should keep in mind that the Japanese were never able to accomplish all these things for the simple reason that the planes were never available. Therefore, maybe there should always be gaps in the coverage.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote