SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-07, 03:14 AM   #1
lms_oid
Swabbie

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Target speed calculation made easy

Hi mates,

I received my deluxe version yesterday and tried it for 3 hours (with 1.1 patch installed) : it's very nice IMO! Then I came to this forum and discovered that many simers were complaining about the speed calculation broken in the TDC... Even if it is a bug as it is written to work in the manual, I believe that it is fairly more realistic that way. I were always asking myself in SHIII who was the guy in my uboat who was calculating the speed estimation while I was pushing "the little button on the chronometer"... So now in SH4 with manual TDC on, we can use the chronometer but the guy who was calculating like crazy in SHIII is gone. Not a big deal IMO. We will just have to work our trigonometry again .

There are several ways to do estimation of speed but I would like to present you the way I use. It's limited because it's only exact at an AOB of 90° and with the sub travelling slow. However, it is a very good estimation between 75° and 105° AOB. The interest of this method is that you do not need a calculator which would kill the immersion and that it is fast (no map drawing). You just need a "target speed estimation Table" that you can find below.

I find it to be immersive and far more realistic than the always accurate magic speed that you obtain in SHIII...

Hope it will helps some simers.

lms_oid

Edited : Table modified - 30 seconds for range from 1750 to 2000 yards.

Last edited by lms_oid; 03-23-07 at 09:52 AM.
lms_oid is offline   Reply With Quote