Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-21, 10:09 AM   #24
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

That was fantastic. Hopefully it's like that for the entire season. A few random takeaways....

Hass' decision to chase the money and sign Mazepin will haunt them all season. They have both the worst car and the worst driver. A disastrous debut. It has to get better, but choosing drivers for financial rather than sporting reasons doesn't fly in Formula One.

McLaren picked up where they left off and look to be the leaders in the midfield. Good car, good drivers. The midfield seems a bit tighter this season, after just one race mind, with Ferrari looking more competitive.

Alfa Romeo impressed me, and it looked for most of the race like they'd score. It wasn't to be, but they may be the most improved team/car on the grid. Good for Kimi, who deserves to be fighting for points, at least.

Seb is a disaster waiting to happen. The nightmare season has just begun. Plenty of people made excuses for him at the end of his Fez run, but I suspected he is just past it. He seems uninterested, and makes far too many mistakes. Aston Martin made a big mistake here too. They should have kept Perez. When he blamed Ocon for changing lanes in to turn 1 my eyes could not have rolled farther. His fall from grace and self-inflicted wounds will be riveting television this year.

Speaking of Perez.... great drive to claim 5th from the pitlane. Watching the race I couldn't believe that Red Bull could have such a start after so much promise, and I was holding my head in my hands. I'm a little worried that he didn't show better pace through practice and qualifying, but he made it work in the race. Red Bull will be looking for improvement, but this result limited the damage in what could have been a demoralizing race weekend.

I'm a little bent out of shape over the turn 4 track limits issue. Max had to give the spot back, there's no doubt about that. That was an unfair pass. But race control allowed Mercedes to run there almost the entire race, and if each of those wide exits was good for 2 tenths per lap, then they gained a massive amount of time through the race running off-track. I could argue that had they been forced to stay on track, that Max would have not needed to chase Hamilton down from so far back at the end. If he is 3 seconds closer when he came out of the pits he wins the race.

Allowing so much grey when it should be a black and white issue is a problem that shouldn't exist. Either cars can get all four off there, or they cannot. It cannot happen that it is situational and left to the discretion of race control. If I were Horner I'd be livid over this. As a fan of Max I'm instead just ticked off over it haha. Sort it out. It's simple.

Tsunoda impressed. I read the hype, didn't buy it. But he ran a great race, showed poise and race craft. Pulled off some great overtakes. Alpha Tauri had a poor weekend, but if Gasly hadn't lost his wing I think both cars were in the points. The midfield battle is shaping up to be the best in years.

Can't wait for Imola.