SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-08-16, 10:43 AM   #1
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2
Default Torpedo Stowage

In my research I just found a document that said in the type VIIC that:
  1. G7a can be stored in all places except auxiliary stowage [the two extra stowage slots in the fore], because there the engine chamber would be positioned at the support point.
  2. G7e can not be stored in both deck containers and in aft reserve stowage because access for maintenance is insufficient.

I knew about the deck containers, but not the aft stowage.

Did this go for all Type VII's?
Did this ever change during the war?

Edit: It did change during the war. In March of 1943 a standard load out was issued that called for 2 TIII Fat II's in the aft of type VIIb, c, and d u-boats. Three other sets of load outs were issued at various times that each called for 2 TV Zaukönig's in the aft. So they were certainly allowing eto's in the aft reserve by then. I figure one of three things happened. Either they figured out early in the war it was impractical and just forced the crews to maintain the torpedoes, their maintenance capability became more sophisticated allowing them to service eto's in the aft compartment (I find this unlikely), or the TIII was easier to maintain than the TII and it changed then. The last possibility seems the most likely, but I can't really find any indication that the TIII is anything other than a retrofitted TII with a functioning depth keeping mechanism. Anyway, hopefully someone might have an answer to this. Maybe next time I will check the sources of my own mod before I post.

Were there any conditions like this for the Type IX's?

Please include a source if possible.

Thanx in advance.

Last edited by rudewarrior; 05-08-16 at 06:12 PM. Reason: No need to repost for answering my own question.
rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote