Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-13, 01:55 AM   #1
kg6eyr
Wheelchairing Weirdo

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default Another Submariner Entering the Flotilla

Ahoy everyone!

I'm Max, but if there's any hams in the midst, you'll have no problem in figuring out my other moniker. Or, if you're like my family that doesn't know anything about amateur radio, my name, or "kegger" would also suffice. I'll leave it to personal discretion.

At any rate, I figure I ought to post here, instead of being my typical semi-anti-social self. In a nutshell, as I don't want to ramble on as if I'd been spending all night pub crawling just prior to deployment, I was born with cerebral palsy nearly 31 years ago, would have been in line with the Navy had it not been for my disability, and I'm no stranger whatsoever to naval simulations. Although, I do think my patience has diminished, along with some of my mathematics and reflexes...

I was introduced to the world of naval simulations by a little gem put out by Microprose in the 90's known as Task Force 1942, and actually before that there was a lovely little game on the NES called Silent Service. (If you haven't heard of it, I'd be really surprised.) Anyhow, I'm currently running SH3-5 (although 5 is quite choppy on this laptop. I've got a desktop, but other people are always using it, so yeah...) via Steam, and so far, I'm liking it far better than let's say Naval Assault on the Xbox 360. (Thank you, time compression!) I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those players that has a hard time waiting on targets, and there are times where I'll decide to do a whole mission restart because of a dud torpedo, or near miss. I've been perusing the mods, but since I'm confusing myself with JSGME and Steam, I might at least try to attempt a vanilla playthrough before modding. I've been known to mod before even trying a game out, so we'll see.

All hatches are secured, and the ship is rigged to dive. If anyone needs me, I'll be at my duty station, happily near the galley and coffee-maker.

73's,

kg6eyr is offline   Reply With Quote