SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-13, 03:10 PM   #11
RustySubmarine
Engineer

Location: Tamworth UK. Presently,somewhere Below The Atlantic
Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Just finished reading Das Boot. Seen the film hundreds of times, but never actually read the book. The film is pretty much the same as the book, but the book I found spends more time describing what boredom is like in the two chapters, Friggin Around 1 & Friggin Around 2. One thing which made me laugh was the U boat Fly. It had obviously flew into the boat when in dock and decided to make itself at home. It remains on board during all the action and is even still present during the Gibralta incident. The author mentions this fly on quite a few instances and I just thought it quite funny, as though it was part of the crew.

I have now started reading Steel Boat Iron Hearts by Hans Goebler, about his experiences aboard U505. Very good up to press and different, that it is written by an ordinary crew member, instead of a U boat captain as is usually the case for most books about U boat patrols.

Next book I shall read is Thetis Down by Tony Booth. This is the story of what happened to the British T Class submarine, which sank in Liverpool Bay on 1st June 1939, whilst on sea trials, with all hands except, four who managed to escape.

I joined the navy to see the world
What did I see?
I saw the SEA!!!!
RustySubmarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books