SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-10, 05:42 PM   #11
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Makman,

Sorry if I am becoming a PITA with all of my questions lately. Your work on this GUI is simply amazing and reviewing your tutorials you certainly have a deep knowledge of how these tools work.

As a novice to your GUI, I am still going crazy trying to figure some of this out. After several years of using OLC Gold's AOB finder, I pretty much had it mastered and routinely got great solutions. Your GUI looks and feels very similar, but is still a bit of a mystery to me.

With the attack periscope at 12X, I am getting good ranges. However, the trouble I am having now is AOB. I am trying to use the instructions you provided in your tutorial for MaGUI 3.4 but my AOB determinations are wildly wrong.

Sorry I can't screenshot SH3 images in Win 7, but I'll try to explain an example...

I am stationary and determining a solution for attacking a Medium Merchant (length 140.5). My zoom is set at max of the two zoom options for the attack periscope (presumably 12X). I calculated the range at 1,400 meters. (I verified the accuracy of this later by having the Weapon Officer automatically calcualte a solution) I then moved the wheel so that the '14' on the outside of the wheel (1,400 meters) is opposite '140.5' on the outer ring (the length of the vessel). I then center the vertical crosshair on the ship and count horizontl tick marks toward the bow of the ship. With the reticle in MaGUI Widescreen (different scale than the reticle in MaGUI 3.4) I get 12 marks (two ticks beyond the 10-degree mark). Reading the AOB on the inner ring opposite the '12' value on the inside of the wheel, I get an AOB of 15-degrees (which I can tell by eye is very wrong). When I auto-solved the solution immediately afterward to double-check my calculations, SH3 auto-solved the AOB at 147-degrees.

What am I doing wrong here?

I greatly appreciate your help and patience. I am determined to master your GUI yet!