Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-09, 05:01 PM   #1
kgsuarez
Planesman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Another CAotD on XP thread.

Hello everyone.

I've recently taken an interest in CAotD again and am curious about fellow members' experiences with running this game on XP.

In the past few years I have had marginal success running this game on XP, perhaps due in part to the fact that I was using a pirated copy of the game that I downloaded from a site I will not mention. For this I apologize to the entire SubSim community. The existence of software piracy is extremely detrimental to the niche market of sub games and my participation in such activity is certainly something to be frowned upon.

If it is of any consolation I will mention that as of this morning I have purchased a legitimate copy of the game from Amazon.com and am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Anyway... For those of you with a legitimate copy of the game, what have your experiences been with running this game on XP? Have you had any trouble installing it?

I am somewhat concerned with how it will install because the pirated version I had would never install properly, but I was able to run it out of one of the sub-directories located in the archive file it came in, some of you might know what I'm talking about. Basically, inside the zip file it came in were some setup files and a directory called "AODCMD," and in that directory were all the game files necessary to run the game. So without successfully running the setup you could still run the game out of that directory. I am assuming that the only thing the setup files would do is transfer the files in the "AODCMD" folder onto your hardrive. But who knows?

As far as actually getting the game to run, all I ever had to do was set all the .EXE files associated with the game to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode with 256 colors. There are about 7 or so of these .EXE files. At times I even got the game to run with only setting one of them up to run in compatibility mode, but I figure it's good measure to set them all up the same way.

The only other problems ever I encountered were sound related, mainly the sound of the diesel engines cutting out unexpectedly or at times continuing after I had submerged the boat and was running on the electrics. I understand that these sound issues are fairly common. Other than that the game ran perfectly. (Okay, I've had a CTD a time or two. I recall it happening while I was trying change some game settings with running the game at some obscenely high TC.)

The other thing I am wondering about is the voice command aspect of the game. Have any of you gotten it to work? Did it even work in Windows 95?

At any rate, I will give you all an update once I receive my copy in the the mail and load it up.
kgsuarez is offline   Reply With Quote