SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-15, 06:28 PM   #1
SSI01
Loader

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0
Default When Does Mission Completion Occur?

Guys, this is the first time I've been able to sit down and run this sim in detail since purchasing it. I've got a question about when you are done with the objectives in your patrols, or missions. So far I've been on station either off Dalian, landing an agent, or in the East China Sea chipping away at the Japanese merchant marine. I've been out about 4.5 weeks and all torpedoes, and most of my deck gun ammo, have been expended. It's been about two days since the last of the fish were finally shot off (all hits, BTW) and I've had a pretty spirited deck gun engagement in heavy seas with two large troop transports. That yellow star in the ECS is still there, it's not greyed out despite my reporting two days ago via midnight status report that I'm "Winchester" re: torpedoes. One would think you'd get the "come on home" signal from COMSUBPAC but no soap.

Is there some place where one can find what the objectives are for their patrol before departing port?
SSI01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 06:46 PM   #2
thegrindre
Engineer

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 1

I do believe that info is here somewhere. Meanwhile, drag a circle at 47nm with your compass and stay within it for about 48 hours or so. That's what triggers it. Time within an area.
If you exit that circle, you'll have to start over again with another 48 plus hours.

Intel core 2 duo @ 2.33GHz
nVidia Gforce 8800 GTX 768mb
4 gigs ram w/4 gig virtual memory
Windows XP Pro w/SP 3
on a 32 bit system
At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap!

Last edited by thegrindre; 04-16-15 at 02:54 AM.
thegrindre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 07:22 PM   #3
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

In the stock game, a star with a flag means you need to sink a certain tonnage. Guess what, the game doesn't tell you how much. A star with binoculars means you need to stay within the patrol zone for a certain amount of time. Again, the stock game doesn't tell you the size of the patrol zone and I don't think it tells you for how long. Someone figured out that stock game wants you to stay within 50nm of the center. Follow thegrindre's directions. For now, just head home or refit. You can't do anything without any weapons.
Old 04-12-15, 07:50 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I have the four magic words no one seems to have mentioned:

The.

Game.

Doesn't.

Care.

Head for home whenever you feel like it. That's the bottom line. You won't get punished or penalized in any way.

If you stay within the designated area for the designated time you'll get extra renown. Don't want to sneak into an enemy base to take pictures (photo recon didn't work that way anyway)? Just don't do it. Don't want to drop off spies? Just don't do it. Don't want to do any special missions. Don't bother. The game doesn't care.
Old 04-12-15, 10:12 PM   #5
SSI01
Loader

Thanks, guys.

I was just trying to avoid that problem of carrying out objectives until out of ammo and doing an uncommanded return to Pearl, only to not have the game end and having to refit and head out with another 24 torpedoes - I've had this happen. We'll try the mileage/time restriction and see what happens.

EDIT: That's the ticket for sure.

Last edited by SSI01; 04-13-15 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-13-15, 10:42 AM   #6
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

Yes draw the circle, stay within 50nm of center, I think the time required is 72 hrs. But if you have no torpedoes I would head to the nearest friendly port and resupply as long as you don't end your patrol the mission we still be there when you head out
captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 08:54 AM   #7
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Default Try one of the mods

If you are comfortable/familiar with stock I'd strongly recommend you move on to one of the mods (e.g. Real Fleet Boat, RFB or Trigger Maru Overhauled, TMO).

There are different opinions on each mod but read up on them and decide for yourself. If you have enough HD space you could try a second install and have both!!!

For what it's worth I use TMO and RSRD mods and am quite happy with them.
TMO mods aspects of the game itself (graphics/controls etc) and adds some 'extras' while the RSRD is a campaign 'mod' in that it adjusts locations/types/quantity/routes etc to historically accurate figures. Someone will correct me if I'm off in that quick summary.
RFB is similar to TMO in that it adjusts things within the game. Both are good but again, personal preference is the deciding factor. Both bring new challenges to the game and improve the experience. I can guarantee that it is better than 'stock'.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 11:58 AM   #8
SSI01
Loader

Thanks Tomoose - I'd never thought of that second install but will take a look at the drive as re: available space.

My stock install is currently in F:\Program Files\SH4. I've only got the Optical Correction for 1.4 installed, plus ship pack and a few other things that change little things but nothing that changes basic gameplay.

Where do you recommend putting the second install? Also, if on the same drive - what do you call your two installs?

I've seen it elsewhere in this site that 1.5 essentially gives one U-boat missions but that's about it - otherwise it's similar to 1.4. Correct?
Old 04-18-15, 12:17 AM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
I've seen it elsewhere in this site that 1.5 essentially gives one U-boat missions but that's about it - otherwise it's similar to 1.4. Correct?
Most here use v1.5 because of the bug fixes, and the fact that most of the mods now require it. v1.5 has been out for quite a spell, and while there are still mods for v1.4, most of the recent ones are for v1.5.

There are not any dramatic differences. It isn't like you have to relearn the game.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote