SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-24-10, 06:09 PM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Default AGP Cards

I'm finally running into the problem that my computer not only has trouble with SH4, it's starting to crash due to mod overload in SH3. I'm looking at buying a better card, but my slots are AGP. I've found some 1-Gb ATI 4650s in the $80-90 range.

I'm also thinking of trying to get the financing for a whole new computer, but that's a bit of a stretch at the moment.
Old 05-24-10, 07:35 PM   #2
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Depending on your processor, memory and how you use it, sometimes it is more economical to just keep an old beast running.

I have a working machine that is a 2.8ghz P4, 2 gigs of RAM, and a HIS AGP 4670 1gig card.

Unless I throw something monsterous at it, it does just fine on good old XP Windows.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 08:16 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Cool! I have a 3-Gig P4 and 2 GB RAM. You're making me happy.
Old 05-25-10, 03:11 AM   #4
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead Nuke View Post
Depending on your processor, memory and how you use it, sometimes it is more economical to just keep an old beast running.

latest PC (2yrs old) broken down twice in 2yrs far as i care it can stay like that - played SH5 for about a week before her last death been sitting there in pieces since.

2nd pc (6yrs old) KT600-A motherboard, AthlonXP 2.6ghz, 2.5gig ram (DDR), recently brought a HD4650 1gb - AGP. Runs SH3 and 4 like a dream. Ran SH3 & 4 perfect with the 7600gs card only upgraded cause Battlefield 2 stutters a lot when playing unless i went down to 1024x768 res which was too ugly so upgraded to a 1gb card. Oh and this beast has never broken down on me in the 6yrs its been running. I clean it once a year - dust, fans and reformat the OS etc.,

Only thing i had to replace when adding the 1gb card was the PSU. 450watt to a 750watt. With the 450watt the 1bg card acted strange bsod, one of the hdd refuse to run - wasn't getting enough power. 750w fix that.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 04:18 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Cool! I have a 3-Gig P4 and 2 GB RAM. You're making me happy.
Then I'll make you even happier.

Though repeatedly thinking in the past two years that my system was about to collapse, I am still with the same old system right now, the only things that changed when they had technical failures, are the monitor, the RAM, the PSU once, and the graphics cards. It's a P4, 3 GHz, 2MB RAM, WinXP, Asus P4P800SE, which is AGP. I have repeatedly upgraded the graphic card every 1.5-2 years, and by doing so for around 90-100 bucks per item I have increased the longevity of the overall system by several years so far. In the end it was far more cost-efficient than if I would have bought a new system at some time in the past. But I do not want to buy new games anyway, so I do not need the latest technical tricks and kicks.

I have used nVidia 7800GS (256) and now have reached a 7950 GT with 512 MB. System runs smooth with all my stuff, which is older titles anyway. American Amazon lists such a board for 120 dollars currently.

I have had bad experiences with ATi drivers in the past, and thus I tend to recommend nVidia, always. I do not like Ati, it gave me nothing but troubles both with native and 3rd-party drivers. But that is also a longer time ago, I admit.

AGP has been declared dead since several years now, but good cards for it still appear on the market, though the 7950 range of nVidia boards seem to be the limit for it.

It's like with tape cassettes. They are still there, and tape decks still are on offer.

P.S. keep in mind that if you suffer from mod-overload, you likely will gain something from a new graphics card only when the mods you use are graphics-heavy. If that is not the case, or the sim is CPU-heavy instead of gfx-heavy (telling from FS9-experience), then you probably waste your money when investing into a gfx-card for your old system. However, for me it payed off to upgrade the old system with gfx-cards, with the noted exception of FS9.

Last edited by Skybird; 05-25-10 at 04:31 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-10, 04:31 AM   #6
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Umm I'm saving up to get a new rig sometime next year. It was ArmA 2 that made me realize I need a new rig.

I'm tightening my purse.
Old 05-25-10, 06:02 AM   #7
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Steve, how long has it been since you did a fresh format and reinstall of OS? You computer might need a "shower".

Other than that you can safely buy ATI, I am on my third in a row since switching from nVidia due to (wait for it) ... driver issues. So yeah, buy the card that meets your requirements, you will find people who love/like/dislike/hate both brands.