SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-13-07, 03:29 PM   #16
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default just a little tid bit of information

The changes I made to the scene file for weather and wind changes and how often they happen in game.

First of all it full kicks in once you hit port then leave on a new patrol. Second if you do not go any faster than 256 Time Compression the weather and wind changes periodicly. Anything more than that and the weather wind and waves change very slowly. Why I do not know but I have tested this in game very very often.

In a given day and travling to a patrol point or mission point the wind changes in direction and speed several time's a day. And at least every 2 day's a storm happens and usualy end's in no more than a 24 hour period.

So try this out in your game and see the difference from high time compressions to no more than 256.
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 06:30 PM   #17
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

I think that the weather system and the stock values is the same of sh3. !

Fog=0
FogRand=0
Clouds=0
CloudsRand=0
Precip=0
PrecipRand=0
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=5.000000
WindRand=0
WeatherRndInterval=5

change the values to another for example like this but you can try anothers for your taste.

Fog=0
FogRand=1
Clouds=0
CloudsRand=1
Precip=0
PrecipRand=1
WindHeading=0
WindSpeed=5.000000
WindRand=1
WeatherRndInterval=2

in sh3 there are only 3 campaign files bun there are a lot more in sh4, so probably you have to change the values in every file.
For testing porpouses you can use some training mission.

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 04:45 AM   #18
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

to leovampire, im using your mod but i dont want to be stuck at 256x to get weather changes.

to hartmanm, yeah i remember cb doin some cool weather stuff for SH3 using those files but i couldnt find the same files in SH4. in SH3 the campaign folder contains them, what folder contains the relevant files to change?

also someone mentioned using mini tweaker to improve the weather, anyone got any info on that?

wonder why there are so many files to change in that folder?

Last edited by Laffertytig; 11-14-07 at 01:01 PM.
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 07:28 PM   #19
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

ok ...in the data/campaigns/campaign/ every .mis file have the weather section at the start. the same with patrolobjectives folder, every file.... the same.

Sh4 uses a different system for the campaign files, in separate files depending of zones and dates.... a lot of work

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 07:47 PM   #20
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default the weather and changes to it normaly in the SHIV game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig
to leovampire, im using your mod but i dont want to be stuck at 256x to get weather changes.

to hartmanm, yeah i remember cb doin some cool weather stuff for SH3 using those files but i couldnt find the same files in SH4. in SH3 the campaign folder contains them, what folder contains the relevant files to change?

also someone mentioned using mini tweaker to improve the weather, anyone got any info on that?

Is controled by the Scene file just inside of the Data file for the game.

It can only be adjusted using mini tweeker right now as S3D dosn't suport it yet.

There are several node's that control the weather but the higher the time compression used the less the game read's and uses the base setting's.

Wind:

windheadingchangespeed= 0.01 0.03
windspeedchangespeed= 0.01 0.03

Random Wind and rain:

Changetimemin= 3 2 this is the key to weather changes
Changetimemax= 5 5 this is the key to weather changes
Randomwindspeedmax= 0.01 0.05
Randomwindspeedvariationspeed= 0.005 0.009
randomwindheadingspeedvariation= 0.005 0.009
rainintensitychangespeed= 0.01 0.009 I did this because the rain was changing too often.

Original value's are in white and my changes are in Green.

As you can see I changed everything but the max main time. When I did the weather started to change every few hour's not day's so I left that alone.

You can go through every single mission file for the game and manualy make the game use differn't weather conditions but you maybe stuck with that condition until you start a new mission so do that at your own risk. Again not all of these change's are accepted right away by the game. They come into full effect when you are in port and leave on a new patrol.

This work represent's day's of testing and not in game day's real time day's of testing.

Last edited by leovampire; 11-14-07 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-14-07, 10:05 PM   #21
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Default BTW I didn't make the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig

I am just reporting finding's on what work's best with the way the game's inner work's operate.

All I can do is tell you what I find and it is your choice to do and run your game how ever you want. You asked for more weather changes I am explaining how to get them.
Old 11-15-07, 05:27 AM   #22
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

yeah no probs leo thats exactly the kind of info i was lookin for. thanks for your help
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-07, 10:16 AM   #23
captiandon
Soundman

I used to Use the storms to sneek up on DD,s on the surface. I would Close the distance then when he starts to flash his morse code I would back off so I could still see that light flashing and I would fire the deck gun at the flashing light. I could sink one easy by doing that.