SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-06, 06:32 AM   #16
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

I do hear them

especialy when they pinged me, I hear the ping getting louder and when it stops I can hear the screws going from left to right when i,m facing the Helms Officer.

and in an convoy when i,m diving under an Cargo I can hear their screws as well so. I have nothing to complain
Old 09-01-06, 10:10 AM   #17
Marriott
Torpedoman

Downloads: 19

I always hear the screws, and its quite nerve racking when you hear them pinging you and then all of a sudden the pinging stops and then the sound of the screws comes over you. You know in a few seconds theres going to be explosions all around.
Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 10:25 AM   #18
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marriott
I always hear the screws, and its quite nerve racking when you hear them pinging you and then all of a sudden the pinging stops and then the sound of the screws comes over you. You know in a few seconds theres going to be explosions all around.
Yes I hear them also ... I was going to say to the OP count your blessings LOL.

Running patched and Grey Wolves
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 10:30 AM   #19
CB..
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

i reduced the volume of the sub-interior-ambient sound files and the creaks so i could hear the DD screw more clearly...it does depend on which way you are facing sometime allso...
this is a great help as you can hear when the DD goes to flank as it drops the DC's so you then know when to evade..etc

http://www.ebort2.co.uk/

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B.Yeats
CB.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 01:15 PM   #20
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Oh I thought of one other thing.

DD's often slow to listen. When they do so they nearly dissapear off the sonar. I assume that if they are "coasting" over you you wont hear them either.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 01:52 PM   #21
Redwine
Sea Lord

Downloads: 9

I changed my files for that... i can hear the DDs and cargo screw from so far.

I use Incognito Sound pack, plus some other sounds collected form other modders and...

I add some SH2 sounds, the matter is... it need to touch the SH3.sdl file, and i have many more modifications on it.

I can host the new sonds here if some body is interesting, but you will need to increase the sound level at SH3.sdl file manually usin TT MiniTweaker.

To have the same as me....

1]
Download Incognito Sound Pack

2]
Add these files (my collection for many modders, there are somo others more than props)

http://rapidshare.de/files/31596348/Reemplazar.zip.html

3]
Open the Sh3.sdl file using TimeTraveller MiniTweaker, and increase Volume and MaXRadius for the lines or ships using the following files :

Aircraft Carrier Propeller.wav
Aircraft Carrier_hyd.wav
Cargo_hyd.wav
Destroyer_hyd.wav
Vapor destroyer propeller.wav
Vapor Propeller 03.wav
Vapor Propeller.wav
Vapor_06.wav

Set MaxRadius about 1200 for cargo ship props, and about 1600/2000 for diferent warships.

Set Volume near to 98/100

PD :

A] do not increase too much Vapor Siaj.wav for any ship, it is the ship wake sound, not the engine or propellers sound. You will nor hear well the props if you increase it, or others souds generated by the ship diferent than the props. Any way if you increase them, they will generate a noisy ambient sound, but not exactly the props sounds.

Just incrase props only at first ant test.

B]
You must to test the changes into your installation, try and try up to you are satisfied, it is so easy and quickly.

If you want... you can use my Sh3.sdl, but it has some modifications as in the delay of depth chatrge explosions, because i use my mod Depth Crage FX Mod, wich make depth crage explosions more big (visually only) and more long in life time, so i need to delay the sound.

You can use mine, but you will need to ad the Depth Charge FX Mod too.

You will have a new "experience of sound" :rotfl:
Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 03:38 PM   #22
enaceo
XO

Downloads: 10

I can hear those screws with no problem both with NYGM and GW .
Those things skare the hell out of me and my crew especially when you hear them right after being pinged...you just know the next sound should be "BOOM!"
Old 09-30-06, 07:50 PM   #23
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

ive still not rectified this. when i get depthcharged i can barely haer in and there are no screw sounds above.

redwine how do my mod my game to have your audio? that download link doesnt work
when i use mini tweaker and click locate altenate game folder the program doesnt seem to see sh3.dsl.

i use nygm mod so if i add your depth charge fx mod will it alter/conflict with any files and if so how?

Last edited by Laffertytig; 10-01-06 at 10:24 AM.
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-06, 10:53 AM   #24
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

tell me what files i need and il give it a try
Old 10-01-06, 12:08 PM   #25
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

What sound card are you using and do you have 3d sound enabled? I've noticed that my sound card (sound blaster x-fi) has 3d gaming stereo sound as an option to enable. Sometimes if you use 3d sound and you don't have your speakers setup the right way you can lose some sound. For instance, I use headphones but I still barely hear sounds when they are right in front of me. Like when I face the engine room or face aft on the bridge towards the engine room and prop shaft. Yet when I turn my characters head to the left or right I can hear the sound a lot better and when I face away from sounds they appear to be behind me like they should. it's just when facing sounds that I have trouble hearing them. It could be that my headphones aren't as good as they should be for my sound card. Perhaps it's time for me to invest in getting a good pair of 3d surround sound headphones? The headphones I have now state they are 3d headphones but I don't know if they are surround sound compliant!

Anyway, maybe that is your problem too?:hmm:
Old 10-01-06, 01:32 PM   #26
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

i dont think this is the problem. when i rotate around the bridge or the control room the sound changes depending which direction im facing.

redwine offers a "new experience of sound" so i look forward to him replying
Old 10-01-06, 02:29 PM   #27
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig
redwine how do my mod my game to have your audio? that download link doesnt work
The problem is the link is from one month ago....

Quote:
when i use mini tweaker and click locate altenate game folder the program doesnt seem to see sh3.dsl.
Sorry ... no idea about how MiniTweaker works when you have SH3 installed into a non default location.
You can attempt to create a set of empty folders with the default location, and put the sh3.sdl there.

Quote:
i use nygm mod so if i add your depth charge fx mod will it alter/conflict with any files and if so how?
Sorry but dont know what NYGM changes.
You must to edit the sh3.sdl file.

Quote:
i dont think this is the problem. when i rotate around the bridge or the control room the sound changes depending which direction im facing.

redwine offers a "new experience of sound" so i look forward to him replying
Sadly the "new experience of sound" is out, i was using an onboard SoundMax and that was true, but it take too much CPU resources, one week ago i buyed and installed a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic and y have more FPS now but.... this F@##$$$ card kills my "new experience of sound".

I have some new behaviours, in example i can hear only those things wich are in front of me, those at back has a very reduced volume. Good FPS, good 3D positional audio...but ...to the hell with the "new experience of sound".

All at my back has a very low volume, even the crew speech into my control room, and of course the DDs screw sound too. I can hear the screws but only when they are so near and when i am looking to the DDs with my scope.

With the SoundMax i was able to hear the screws even when they was at my back and very far, up to one km o more away.

I need to discover wich cause it.... because i cant back to my onboard SoundMax because it eats my CPU.

Here the link for the collection of sounds to add over Incognito Sound pack.
It contains sounds from many modders, and some proppellers sounds from SH2.

http://rapidshare.de/files/35145391/Reemplazar.zip.html

Last edited by Redwine; 10-01-06 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-01-06, 06:41 PM   #28
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

ive sussed out how to use mini tweaker now. so r u saying that after editing those sh3.dsl files it doesnt make any difference?

also, im using windows sound recorder to increase sound volumes. do u use it as well or is there a better utility out there?
Old 10-01-06, 07:37 PM   #29
Redwine
Sea Lord

Quote:
so r u saying that after editing those sh3.dsl files it doesnt make any difference?
Nop, i recomend to you to edit your present sh3.sdl file. Editing it you will have no problems with you magamod installation.
Dont forget to remove the "back up of XXXX" created for Minitweaker program from the working folder.

Quote:
also, im using windows sound recorder to increase sound volumes. do u use it as well or is there a better utility out there?
Some of the files into the pack has the volume increased using the windoes sound recorder too.

Any way you need to use minitweaker, to edit their audible range.

PD : i discovered the problem with the low volume in objects at my back, i was using 4.1 settings, and into the rear speaker i has pluged in the headphones, if i put the second pair of headphones rear volome is audible, but i remve them to plug in the headphones, i back now to 2.1 stereo and problem is out.

Last edited by Redwine; 10-01-06 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-02-06, 06:13 AM   #30
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

sorry to be a pain but ive modded the sdl file. where are the backup files found that i must delete?