Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-16, 08:49 AM   #1756
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Err... so he dragged another topic/possible problem into this, although there is zero connection?

That was my point.

"Hey, we have a gun problem!"
"BUT CARS KILL PEOPLE TOO!"
"Uhm, OK then, let's ignore both problems then...?"

No one is ignoring either problem. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. I.e, accountability. That's something I'm sure most in society and in this forum exercise responsibly in their lives on a daily basis.
The problem is, it seems problems and issues are taxed out of existence in the absence of an effective solution.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 09:03 AM   #1757
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
No one is ignoring either problem. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. I.e, accountability. That's something I'm sure most in society and in this forum exercise responsibly in their lives on a daily basis.
The problem is, it seems problems and issues are taxed out of existence in the absence of an effective solution.
Explain to me what "self responsibility" has to do with what I complained about?
Someone initiates a debate and coincidentally, those who disagree always bring up other and non-related problems, instead of talking about the actual topic.
Why?
How is this helping anyone, how does that solve problems?

This is just something that I don't understand about people since... forever.
They do it all the time.
"Hey, I think you always put too much salt on the pasta."
"OH YEAH? WELL LAST YEAR YOU PUT TOO MUCH PEPPER ONTO SOMETHING TOO!"
"... "
Old 02-25-16, 09:09 AM   #1758
kobiwaldi
Seaman

Downloads: 118

Quote:

They do it all the time.
"... "
sry of ot..
Realy reminds of my wife
kobiwaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 09:14 AM   #1759
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobiwaldi View Post
sry of ot..
Realy reminds of my wife
It is amazing how they have some kind of internal hard-drive of everything you've done wrong over the past two decades which can be accessed at a moments notice.
I've never worked out how they do it.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 09:16 AM   #1760
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
It is amazing how they have some kind of internal hard-drive of everything you've done wrong over the past two decades which can be accessed at a moments notice (while they forget all the good things one ever did for her like they never happened).
I've never worked out how they do it.
Now, it is complete.
Old 02-25-16, 11:09 AM   #1761
U505995
Planesman

Downloads: 76

One question that comes to my mind is why there are so many people going off the walls crazy these days and going on shooting sprees? It's much more common occurrence than it was 20-30 years ago.
U505995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 11:30 AM   #1762
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
No one is ignoring either problem. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. I.e, accountability.
Answer me this as I'm not really familiar on this.

If a kid grabs his dad's gun (the licensed gun owner) and the kid goes to his school and starts a shooting and then ends his life. Is his dad going to be held accountable for not having his gun locked away safely from others?
Old 02-25-16, 11:52 AM   #1763
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
I don't think Platapus or anyone else was intentionally trying to introduce another problem like alcohol into the debate. I think the point was to draw a comparison between how many people are lost in auto accidents relative to shooting victims and that vehicles are not banned while gun manufacturers are facing legal actions..
Exactly.

Quote:
Err... so he dragged another topic/possible problem into this, although there is zero connection?
There is a very tangible connection, though it might be easy for you to miss.

Quote:
"Hey, we have a gun problem!"
"BUT CARS KILL PEOPLE TOO!"
"Uhm, OK then, let's ignore both problems then...?"
The connection is that there is a large group of people here who consistently claim that the only solution to the gun problem is to ban all guns. By that logic we should also ban all cars, since cars are also involved in large numbers of deaths, many more than guns. They don't see it that way, and I suspect the real reason is that their cars have some value to them whereas guns don't.

Do you see it now?
Old 02-25-16, 12:28 PM   #1764
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Answer me this as I'm not really familiar on this.

If a kid grabs his dad's gun (the licensed gun owner) and the kid goes to his school and starts a shooting and then ends his life. Is his dad going to be held accountable for not having his gun locked away safely from others?
To answer this, If someone makes the choice to have a weapon in their home for protection or sport or any other number of valid reasons, They have an ethical, moral and of course legal responsibility to make sure the weapons in question are secured. If you have a child or children, then the gun owner may want to reevaluate the merits of having a weapon at home or elect to either get rid of the weapons or take increased actions to make sure they are secured. Again, it's a question of accountability and being a responsible gun owner.

Should the parent be held responsible ? In most jurisdictions, sanctions in the form of the filing of criminal charges will most likely be filed for failing to secure the weapon used. It's simple, if you have weapons which are relatively expensive to own, invest the same amount of money to make sure they are secure.

This is a different matter relative to holding a legally authorized gun manufacturer or seller legally responsible for a death or accident once it has left their respective factory or store and beyond their control.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 02-25-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 12:32 PM   #1765
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:

They do it all the time.
"... "
Haha, pretty good analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Demon U-48 View Post
One question that comes to my mind is why there are so many people going off the walls crazy these days and going on shooting sprees? It's much more common occurrence than it was 20-30 years ago.

Simple, very simple. It's Radio Wave Madness™. The human brain operates thought through electrical activity and impulses. Over the last 120 years, human generated radio waves and electromagnetic waves have increased immensely since Heinrich Hertz cranked out the first artificial waves. Now we are bombarded 24/7 by invisible walls of television, cellphone, satellite, military, wifi, and radios waves. Excessive radio waves disrupt the brain's activity. We're at the point now where the waves are cooking our minds, and every so often some poor guy's mental activity goes pop like a kernel of corn.

It's there, we just have not discovered it yet.
Old 02-25-16, 12:36 PM   #1766
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Simple, very simple. It's Radio Wave Madness™. The human brain operates thought through electrical activity and impulses. Over the last 120 years, human generated radio waves and electromagnetic waves have increased immensely since Heinrich Hertz cranked out the first artificial waves. Excessive radio waves disrupt the brain's activity. We're at the point now where the wavs are cooking our minds, and every so often some poor guy's mental activity goes pop like a kernel of corn.
I'd blame the combined effects of media, lack of good parenting, chemicals in food/water (pollution, not that conspiracy crap) and stress.
I've been aroung some kind of radio waves and electroamgnetic radiation my entire life and I've gotten more pacifist as the years went by.
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 12:38 PM   #1767
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
Haha, pretty good analogy.

Simple, very simple. It's Radio Wave Madness™. The human brain operates thought through electrical activity and impulses. Over the last 120 years, human generated radio waves and electromagnetic waves have increased immensely since Heinrich Hertz cranked out the first artificial waves. Now we are bombarded 24/7 by invisible walls of television, cellphone, satellite, military, wifi, and radios waves. Excessive radio waves disrupt the brain's activity. We're at the point now where the waves are cooking our minds, and every so often some poor guy's mental activity goes pop like a kernel of corn.

It's there, we just have not discovered it yet.
Did you know that if you make and wear a helmet made from a armadillo shell, it blocks waves from the Tv and radio so your mind can't be scanned ?

I saw that on the Dukes of Hazzard movie.
Old 02-25-16, 12:44 PM   #1768
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
legal responsibility to make sure the weapons in question are secured.
Does this not vary state to state? In fact I think that Massachusetts is the only state that requires firearms to be in a locked safe or stored with a trigger lock. More states require that licensed dealers sell locking devices with the weapon, although out of those states most of those are for handguns only, and few of them apply the same law to private dealers, and out of those only a few require the locks to be approved or to meet certain standards.

In the UK, the law is that:

Quote:
“The firearms and ammunition [or shotguns] to which the certificate relates must at all times (except in the circumstances set out in paragraph (b) below) be stored securely so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the firearms or ammunition by an unauthorised person.”
and

Quote:
“Where a firearm or ammunition [or shotgun] to which the certificate relates is in use or the holder of the certificate has the firearm with him for the purpose of cleaning, repairing or testing it or for some other purpose connected with its use, transfer or sale, or the firearm or ammunition is in transit to or from a place in connection with its use or any such purpose, reasonable precautions must be taken for the safe custody of the firearm or the ammunition.”
http://basc.org.uk/firearms/firearm-...hat-do-you-do/
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-16, 12:52 PM   #1769
Commander Wallace
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Does this not vary state to state? In fact I think that Massachusetts is the only state that requires firearms to be in a locked safe or stored with a trigger lock. More states require that licensed dealers sell locking devices with the weapon, although out of those states most of those are for handguns only, and few of them apply the same law to private dealers, and out of those only a few require the locks to be approved or to meet certain standards.

In the UK, the law is that:

and

http://basc.org.uk/firearms/firearm-...hat-do-you-do/

I'm not as sure as the legal implications varying from state to state. Maybe someone here can answer that one. Generally speaking, if the weapons were not secured properly, count on law enforcement asking some tough questions. As far as owning weapons, I think there is a fundamental moral question that transcends what is legally required.
Old 02-25-16, 12:53 PM   #1770
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
I'd blame the combined effects of media, lack of good parenting, chemicals in food/water (pollution, not that conspiracy crap) and stress.
I've been aroung some kind of radio waves and electroamgnetic radiation my entire life and I've gotten more pacifist as the years went by.

It affects some people differently. Those with a Y chromosome are apt to go aggressively violent.

j/k

Quote:
Did you know that if you make and wear a helmet made from a armadillo shell, it blocks waves from the Tv and radio so your mind can't be scanned ?

I saw that on the Dukes of Hazzard movie.
I just use a Collander from Wal-Mart. The tin from China has superior deflecting properties.

Tags
gun control, guns, radio wave madness