SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-12, 12:44 PM   #1
Moldycheese
Swabbie

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 1
Idea for fixing magnetic detonator

I'm new on subsim but i was wondering if anyone could help me. I was wondering how hard it would be to create a mod that fixes the issue with magnetic detonator's not working on GR2 ship files. TheBeast mentioned adding a Damage Zone for the Magnetic Influence Detonator that extended above the torpedo which is then linked to the detonator to detonate the torpedo(sort of a buffer zone). I was wondering if this would be possible and how hard it would be. I'm barely beginning to mod, otherwise I would do it myself.

I absolutely love SH5 but this thing with mag detonators is driving me crazy and robbing me of one of my most favorite features of Silent Hunter.

Last edited by Moldycheese; 03-04-12 at 03:33 PM.
Moldycheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 06:13 PM   #2
Dignan
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 262
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldycheese View Post
I absolutely love SH5 but this thing with mag detonators is driving me crazy and robbing me of one of my most favorite features of Silent Hunter.

...You and most everyone on this forum.

I think its one of those things that isn't fixable by mods. I know some of the best modders on this forum have looked into it.
Old 03-04-12, 07:02 PM   #3
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Rongel made a great discovery that the magnetic detonator works on .dat rendered units. Now it's just figuring out why and what the major differences between .dat and .GR2 units is
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 07:28 AM   #4
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174

The problem with adding invisible zone to magnetic torpedoes is that both magnetic and impact torpedoes use the same actual torpedo. So we can't add new zone only in magnetic torpedo, it will affect the impact-detonator too.

I think the answer is in the DMG_col_-node and it's 3d model. SH 4 ships work just well, something is different in SH 5 damage 3d model. And I believe that dud- and magnetic torpedo issues are related, if we get one working, other will work too.
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 02:41 PM   #5
Moldycheese
Swabbie

I don't mind if it affects both torpedoes. I know it's kind of an ugly fix, but I would just like something that makes the torpedoes able to detonate under the ship 100% of the time. So if someone could create it would be greatly appreciated.

If someone does create it could you do two versions-one the standard height and another 20m high? I like to mod the blast range to 20-30m sometimes.
Old 03-06-12, 02:46 PM   #6
pedrobas
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldycheese View Post
I don't mind if it affects both torpedoes. I know it's kind of an ugly fix, but I would just like something that makes the torpedoes able to detonate under the ship 100% of the time. So if someone could create it would be greatly appreciated.

If someone does create it could you do two versions-one the standard height and another 20m high? I like to mod the blast range to 20-30m sometimes.
Anything else?
pedrobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 08:05 PM   #7
Moldycheese
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobas View Post
Anything else?
No, would you be able to make it? if so...
Old 04-26-12, 11:10 AM   #8
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Today I finally narrowed down the routine that checks for magnetic 'collision' of the torpedoes in shcollision.act. I was able to get the game to detonate the torpedo when using magnetic detonators on GR2 ships There are a few 'problems' I'm working out before I can release a patch for this. One of the problems is that the unit takes no damage from the torpedo (this is because of something that is missing in the GR2 type units) and I'm looking for a way to tell the game that it does exist
Old 04-26-12, 11:14 AM   #9
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Today I finally narrowed down the routine that checks for magnetic 'collision' of the torpedoes in shcollision.act. I was able to get the game to detonate the torpedo when using magnetic detonators on GR2 ships There are a few 'problems' I'm working out before I can release a patch for this. One of the problems is that the unit takes no damage from the torpedo (this is because of something that is missing in the GR2 type units) and I'm looking for a way to tell the game that it does exist
I know the GR2 editor is the most important thing, but it's been so good to see you working on IRAI again - and then I see this! Fantastic news, we'd be lost without you TDW
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 11:39 AM   #10
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I also found the routine that is called when the unit hits the bottom of the ocean...I'll flag this for further looking into so that maybe units will stay sitting on the bottom when they are destroyed

I've also found the routines that are called when debris should be shown, when the damage effects (the explosions, etc.) should be shown, when to add unit destroyed mark to the map, and many other things. Been a very productive day so far!
Old 04-26-12, 11:42 AM   #11
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
I know the GR2 editor is the most important thing, but it's been so good to see you working on IRAI again - and then I see this! Fantastic news, we'd be lost without you TDW
Old 04-26-12, 11:55 AM   #12
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

Quote:
I also found the routine that is called when the unit hits the bottom of the ocean...I'll flag this for further looking into so that maybe units will stay sitting on the bottom when they are destroyed

I've also found the routines that are called when debris should be shown, when the damage effects (the explosions, etc.) should be shown, when to add unit destroyed mark to the map, and many other things. Been a very productive day so far!
Sounds exciting! It would be cool to know that the destroyed ships are still on the bottom. Maybe one day you could make the game export a chart of all the destroyed ships in your campaign, so that all the marks are shown on a map, would be a nice way to study one's progress...
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 12:12 PM   #13
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

My fix works The GR2 unit takes damage from magnetic torpedoes! Of course this needs full testing but I'll put together a patch for it now
Old 04-26-12, 12:13 PM   #14
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartoris View Post
Sounds exciting! It would be cool to know that the destroyed ships are still on the bottom. Maybe one day you could make the game export a chart of all the destroyed ships in your campaign, so that all the marks are shown on a map, would be a nice way to study one's progress...
Would be cool but I suspect it'd end up being a resource hog pretty fast. If it were possible for them to only remain in shallow waters of say 50 metres or less (not much point in them sitting there thousands of feet down at the bottom of the Atlantic after all, you'll never see them), and only for the duration of that patrol, reset upon bunker load maybe, that could work - but would probably be quite difficult to implement!

Edit: woop!

Quote:
My fix works The GR2 unit takes damage from magnetic torpedoes! Of course this needs full testing but I'll put together a patch for it now
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 12:26 PM   #15
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

I see some problems with the GR2 units as far as collision spheres go and magnetic detonators. Since almost all the GR2 units have a sphere in the middle of the ship and nowhere else (on the root node) the magnetic detonator will only detonate near the middle of the ship. We'll have to add collision spheres to all the GR2 units (ships) so that the entire unit is covered