SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-29-23, 11:04 AM   #1
gmetzo
Seaman

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0
Default How does SH3 fare in 2023?

Greetings fellow captains.
I fell in love with Silent Hunter 3 a few years ago , would like to say 2019 , but the quirkiness of the game started to run me down.

Random problems with CTLDs or stuff not working correctly or working for some time then breaking down without warning. Decided to quit and not bother with it anymore.

Now I am getting back into sub sims and was wondering , whether SH3 is in a good state in 2023 , or I should skip it straight for SH5 and be done with it.
What is your experience with the game in 2023? What super mod do you recommend? GWX ? NYGM ? anything else?

Also , is it still as much a pain in the ass as it was , to make the game run in a true 1080p resolution?
Thanks in advance and good hunting.

Last edited by gmetzo; 10-31-23 at 12:39 PM.
gmetzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-23, 08:56 AM   #2
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

I think you'll find SH3 a very playable and satisfying game in 2023.

CTDs are mostly due to common causes such as:

- Incorrect install path (never install to any of the Program Files folders).
- Compatibility mode of SH3.exe not set. Use Windows XP service pack 2. Others report success with Windows 7 compatibility also.
- The 4GB patch is essential when using mods.
- Failure to successfully load saves can be reduced by avoiding other vessels or land at the time of the save. About 50-60km from last known position of any ships is a good number to aim for.

Apart from these common causes other issues can arise from mod conflicts. These can be worked through and corrected with time and patience, as usually it's simply a matter of finding which particular mod is causing the conflict and changing the mod order. Use JSGME for applying mods to help avoid corrupting the installation. Developing your own mod list is a great way to get the game customised to just how you like it, but it can be tedious and frustrating in sorting through the various issues that arise.

For any new or returning SH3 player in 2023, I must recommend Fifi's NYGM Enhanced Hardcore:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=249060

or Onealex GWX:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=248010

These guys have done an amazing job in bringing together many of the best mods available and come beautifully packaged in a very user-friendly install. The Onealex mod is actually a standalone install which has literally everything you need to play it. Both come with a 1920x1080 interface as standard. Give both a try and see what you like. You should find quite a stable SH3 experience.

Best of luck.
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-23, 12:39 PM   #3
gmetzo
Seaman

Downloads: 139

thanks for the reply I appreciate it a lot.
Old 10-31-23, 06:02 PM   #4
Rebel
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 77
Default well

you cannot win the game of silent Hunter three because the Germans lost the war. Playing the game. How you play the game, it's how you play life silent Hunter three with GWX is the smoothest problem free. I was unable to install the game on my PC so I paid a professional to install all the bells and whistles of GW X. I play the game as the navigator first, as an example in the first . Game the destination is BF16. I print all the maps at 50km that takes quite a bit of time. When I leave WILHELMSHAVEN. I follow the directions that are placed on the map by me. My rule in playing the game is, if I get lost and have to look at the game map on the PC I start the game over from WILHELMSHAVEN I purchased the necessary tools for navigation from office's max. I had the money so I spent it on the best they have to offer. I play the game to play .BE IN THE LIGHT