SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-14, 12:07 PM   #1
Karl Heinrich
Soundman

Downloads: 60
Uploads: 2
Default Project: Printable navigation charts of the SH3 world [WIP]

Some of you may have used real, historical charts before to aid navigation in SH3. It's always a good way to add something more to sims.

However it's not ideal as the SH3 world is of course not the same as the real world, it's bigger and lacks details that you would see on real world maps.

Have you ever wanted to try plotting your course not on the F5 world map but on paper charts? To cut a long story short, I've started working on several nautical charts of the "SH3 world" - a project I first mentioned on here last year. The one I've attached is very, very much work in progress (and are low res previews), so please go easy on me

The ones that I'm printing for myself will be the same size as real charts, so around A0 - A1 on average (this example is between the two - the preview here is shrunk down). However, I will create A2 and possibly A3 versions for anyone that wants to print them at home and give them a try.

Lots of little details need to be tweaked, altered or resized etc. The eventual plan is to add depth soundings taken from in-game, and other details, and redraw the whole landmass etc (i.e. not use the screenshots). The next chart will be a new area and at a scale for coastal nav / pilotage - that will definitely include soundings from in-game.

This one is fictional (and was designed around a hotseat patrol a few mates are playing). However, the others will aim to replicate real, historic Kriegsmarine (or Admiralty) charts in content, look and feel as much as possible - but always taking their data from SH3, and following the main rule: they must be usable . They will not feature fake paper textures as they are designed to actually be printed.

You should be able to use these to navigate as you would in reality. All on the paper chart. (I will do a few tutorials for any interested).

While the attached WIP examples are very rough, they should be just about usable still.

A huge, huge thanks goes out to Kartengruppe (Pino) of the forums, whose help has been absolutely invaluable and has made this project possible. I'm sure most are familiar with his Kriegsmarine chart collection, if not check it out here at www.kartengruppe.it

Any questions at all, please let me know!

Apologies to the Moderators if this is in the wrong location, I wasn't sure if it should be in mods or not as it's not technically a mod...

Last edited by Karl Heinrich; 10-23-16 at 03:54 AM.
Karl Heinrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation chart