Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-14, 03:55 AM   #1
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0
Default DW Mod question

So. After listening to all the talk on here, I realised I had to have this game I'm still in the learning phase, doing lots of quick missions on as many different platforms as possible and getting killed in a variety of stupid, but entertaining ways.

I installed the LWAMI mod, and the one that gives the seahawk the full 16 sonobuoy channels, but now I have a question. I can't seem to assign trackers to narrowband contacts, and when I'm checking out a contact with the narrowband it's contact number doesn't display in the appropriate field, even if it's been assigned a contact ID elsewhere. I got the impression that Trackers could only be assigned to narrowband targets via the hull/conformal sonar array, but I don't seem to be able to

Anyway I'm going to try deinstalling and reinstalling the game and mods, just to see if that works, but I wanted to check in here with people who know lots more than me. Also - Does the LWAMI mod have its own intro screen as per TMO/RFB supermods? What I guess I'm asking is is there any way I can tell it's installed correctly - The sonobuy mod was easy, since even I can count past 4, but since I installed the mods from scratch I don't know what the stock game really looks like and how LWAMI would differ from that.

Love and hugs

Vino

Edit: As usual I failed to read the instructions thoroughly enough and so first time out I failed to find the install_stuff Batch file - Having found it I can't run it - Apparently it caused a problem with asserts - Don't know what that means, but windows is calling it an incompatible program - I'm guessing it's possible to do the work manually - Can anyone explain what files need to go where? Pretty please?
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke

Last edited by in_vino_vomitus; 06-02-14 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Taking the apostrophe out of "it's own"
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 07:46 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 303

I don't know the details of that mod. But if the game is installed inside the Program Files folder then executing files that modify the files anywhere in these can cause problems because of Windows User Account Control protection.

When possible install the game in a folder that you specifiy yourself. Like c:\games\Dangerous_Waters That avoids Windows being overly protective on these files.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 11:38 AM   #3
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I don't know the details of that mod. But if the game is installed inside the Program Files folder then executing files that modify the files anywhere in these can cause problems because of Windows User Account Control protection.

When possible install the game in a folder that you specifiy yourself. Like c:\games\Dangerous_Waters That avoids Windows being overly protective on these files.

Yeah - I did that and I didn't anticipate any problems The bogey seems to be the utility that the .Bat file uses to copy files into the various directories. Windows doesn't want to run it and refers me to the C++ programming guide for further enlightenment.

As problems go, it's pretty minor right now. I'm still learning the various platforms and stations thereof. It will be a while before realism and tactics start to be a concern. At the moment I consider it a minor success if I manage to spot the thing that kills me
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 06-02-14, 12:00 PM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

How about explicitly running the .bat as an administrator. Just a guess. I can't remember that this was a problem on my Windows 7 system.
Old 06-02-14, 05:31 PM   #5
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Quote:
How about explicitly running the .bat as an administrator. Just a guess. I can't remember that this was a problem on my Windows 7 system.
I didn't try that, although I did try giving the utility admin privileges. I have to say the wording of the error message suggests there's something wrong with the code. I wish I knew more about it.

On the other hand I've been playing with the P3 - It's rather deadly isn't it?
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 06-03-14, 06:24 AM   #6
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Seems to be fixed. adjusted the properties of the cmputil utility to run as admin and in win7 compatibility mode and now the .bat file is running fine.

I thought i'd done that previously, but maybe not in the same way. I think I asked it to run in xp compatibility mode.

Anyway it seems to have worked. Lets see...
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 06-03-14, 10:47 AM   #7
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

P-3 is awesome, I love that thing. To classify a contact on the narrowband, you have to place a tracker on one of the signal's constituent frequencies up in the frequency spectrum plot (Narrowband Waterfall). You can't just assign a tracker to the signal down in the bearing plot (Narrowband Search). This is for American subs, of course.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 03:31 PM   #8
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
P-3 is awesome, I love that thing. To classify a contact on the narrowband, you have to place a tracker on one of the signal's constituent frequencies up in the frequency spectrum plot (Narrowband Waterfall). You can't just assign a tracker to the signal down in the bearing plot (Narrowband Search). This is for American subs, of course.
Nice one - Will check that out forthwith I tell you what though - I could have done with a tutorial on resolving TA ambiguity in the FFG - I had great fun learning that

I like the idea of setting alarms for particular frequencies. I haven't seen any guidance on which are good freq's to monitor though - Is that something you learn from experience or have I missed something fundamental?

Anyway, bit by bit I'm getting there. Give me a week and I might be ready to start a campaign

Thanks for taking the time to make the tutorials btw...
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 06-03-14, 05:22 PM   #9
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_vino_vomitus View Post
Nice one - Will check that out forthwith I tell you what though - I could have done with a tutorial on resolving TA ambiguity in the FFG - I had great fun learning that

I like the idea of setting alarms for particular frequencies. I haven't seen any guidance on which are good freq's to monitor though - Is that something you learn from experience or have I missed something fundamental?

Anyway, bit by bit I'm getting there. Give me a week and I might be ready to start a campaign

Thanks for taking the time to make the tutorials btw...
Well, it depends on what you're looking for! Assuming you're doing a match where it's Americans against another country, only American submarines (submarines that can hurt you, at least) have a first frequency of 60, so it's good to set an alarm for 50. If you know you're up against a Kilo, set an alarm for 340, or 1050 if you can get enough signal strength. If you're expecting an Akula, set an alarm for 320. Akula shares its first three frequencies with several other subs, though, so you're going to want to classify with the fourth frequency and the fifth frequency in the case of an Akula-I.

There's no real clear cut method to it but you're going to want to do what makes sense given the situation and the platforms you expect to be engaging. I would always say have an alarm as 50, though. No American ships have 50 as a first frequency.

Also, anytime regarding the tutorials! I enjoy making them so no biggie

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 05:26 PM   #10
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
Well, it depends on what you're looking for! Assuming you're doing a match where it's Americans against another country, no other country's submarines (submarines that can hurt you, at least) has a first frequency of 50, so that's a good alarm to set. If you're playing Russia and you know you're up against a Kilo, set an alarm for 340 or 1050 if you can get enough signal strength. If you're expecting an Akula, set an alarm for 320.

There's no real clear cut method to it but you're going to want to do what makes sense given the situation and the platforms you expect to be engaging. I would always say have an alarm as 50, though. No American ships have 50 as a first frequency.

Also, anytime regarding the tutorials! I enjoy making them so no biggie
Thanks! Also thanks for telling me how to set the narrowband tracker. I probably wouldn't have worked that out, except maybe by accident.
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 06-04-14, 01:57 PM   #11
Pisces
Silent Hunter

I really like this tool:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3403

It beats flipping through pages of frequencies, like this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3402
Old 06-04-14, 04:19 PM   #12
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Quote:
I really like this tool:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3403

It beats flipping through pages of frequencies, like this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3402

Thanks - I'll check that out.
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO17_19_different_smoke
Old 06-05-14, 02:48 AM   #13
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_vino_vomitus View Post
I like the idea of setting alarms for particular frequencies. I haven't seen any guidance on which are good freq's to monitor though - Is that something you
Hi in_vino_vomitus,
the answer given by FPSchazly is very good info BUT I red in a previous post of yours that you are using (installed) the LWAMI mod.

I assume you red the manual that comes with that mod (if not, I strongly, very strongly, suggest you to do so) and I just want to remeber that in LWAMI the Sound Profile for every platform is changed in the databse, and the narrowband spectrum of each patform is significantly altered.

With the LWAMI mod comes a handful spreadsheet with all the complete Sound Profies of all the platforms, nicely sorted. It is a good idea to print it out or keep the file open for ALT+TABing to it while playing.

Good hunting
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 03:44 AM   #14
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by banryu79 View Post
I assume you red the manual that comes with that mod (if not, I strongly, very strongly, suggest you to do so) and I just want to remeber that in LWAMI the Sound Profile for every platform is changed in the databse, and the narrowband spectrum of each patform is significantly altered.

With the LWAMI mod comes a handful spreadsheet with all the complete Sound Profies of all the platforms, nicely sorted. It is a good idea to print it out or keep the file open for ALT+TABing to it while playing.

Good hunting
Good point. I am not sure how well the utility by Heinrich Liebe compares to LWAMI, as I think it pre dates it. I used it, but it is too long ago to remember if there were discrepancies.
Old 06-05-14, 04:44 AM   #15
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Good point. I am not sure how well the utility by Heinrich Liebe compares to LWAMI, as I think it pre dates it. I used it, but it is too long ago to remember if there were discrepancies.
I do not know what it is that utility or what it does.

But if one of its aims is to help the user in the "sound profile identification process" based on the comparison between the detected narrowband frequencies of a contact against the "sound profile ingame database" well... chances are in_vino_vomitus does not really need it as he is using LWAMI.

Why it is so? Becuase the mod, as already said, changes all the patforms sound profiles and it changes them in a (imo) "more logical" way. Partial sound profiles in LWAMI are "less generic" than in vanilla DW, and you can actually uniquelly id a contact with only 3 frequencies detected or even with 2 (with a good, educated guess).
For example, consider that the 2nd frequency value depends on the contact plower plant characteristics and the 3rd frequency value is determined by the contact displacement. So with just the 2nd/3rd line and a bit of intel data you can guessestimate who is who. Even without intel to hep you make an educated guess, the LWAMI platforms sound profiles are "more unique" than in vanilla DW and you usually have less matching sound profiles to check over.

I invite once again the OP to read the first pages of the LWAMI mod, and the specific section in that manual about Sound Profiles and their logic. The LWAMI authors have done a great job, I really appreciate it VERY much.

--- EDIT
From the LWAMI manual:

1.1.4 Sonar Profiles
Starting in version 3.11, every narrowband signature has been revised. This was done because the large number of platforms we added meant that users would have to go through a very large number of possible profiles when attempting to classify at narrowband. This problem was made worse by the existing convention of having very different ships having similar profiles, which meant that the possible profiles would not even help the player guess what the contact was.
In LWAMI, each of the first 3 frequency lines give the player information about the contact. This information is useful for classification even without the filter. When used with the filter, the player can be confident that the profiles shown have concrete similarities with the actual contact.
As before, the first line remains an indication of the electrical system used. Many of the assignments have changed, however. Ships originally built for Western Europe, Canada, South Korea, Taiwan, Brazil, Colombia, and Saudi Arabia have switched to 60hz. Note that this is not necessarily the same as the country they were built in or currently serve for.
The second line now represents the power plant. Knowing the power plant narrows down the classification significantly. For example, nuclear or diesel-electric almost always mean submarine, gas turbine almost always means fast warship, gasoline means small craft, and steam turbines tend to be older vessels. The frequencies are:
100hz: Steam Turbine
125hz: Nuclear
140hz: Gas Turbine
160hz: (Diesel-)Electric
175hz: Diesel
190hz: Gasoline
215hz: Rocket Torpedo
225hz: Electric Torpedo
240hz: Chemical (“Otto”) Torpedo
275hz: Peroxide Torpedo
These frequencies are adjusted -5 for a shrouded prop or pumpjet (single shaft only), and are adjusted +5 for two shafts and +10 for three or more shafts. In the case of combined propulsion types (not including diesel-electric subs, which are treated as electric only), there are two “second” lines. For example, a CODAG (combined diesel and gas) ship with two shafts has lines at 145 and 180.

The third line represents the size (displacement) of the ship, and can be thought of as flow noise. The frequencies are:
600hz: <25 tons:
575hz: 50 tons
550hz: 100 tons
525hz: 500 tons
500hz: 1000 tons
450hz: 2500 tons
425hz: 5000 tons
400hz: 10000 tons
375hz: 15000 tons
350hz: 25000 tons
325hz: 50000 tons
300hz: 100000 tons

The last two lines (or line, if it has two “second” lines) in many cases are unchanged, but some have been adjusted to give hints about nationality.

Last edited by banryu79; 06-05-14 at 05:05 AM.
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote