SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-15, 01:08 AM   #1
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19
Default Here's a new one, shallow draft carriers

I play with duds off, so generally set the fish near the max draft in the book. SHOKAKU draws 21 feet, so set for 20 and fire away. Miss, Whiskey Tango Fox. Fire two more, both passed so far under the keel they didn't even activate the magnetic exploder. So I took a closer look at the target;

Don't see any hydrofoils, how did they get it that far up out of the water?!

Anyone seen anything like that before?
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-15, 03:22 AM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I'm not sure you can go by the paint scheme. Is it really that far up in the water?

You should check the level of the bottom and the screws.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-15, 07:53 AM   #3
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Fire a spread with varying depths from 5 to 20 feet, and see which miss. Often rough seas will lift a ship over a torpedo (I set them several feet shallower in storms). Also, it could be a mod issue; I saw some crazy stuff when I added Natural Sinking to 1.5.
Old 05-22-15, 01:49 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

I guess the answer is no.

"I'm not sure you can go by the paint scheme"

I am.

"You should check the level of the bottom and the screws"

I did.

"Often rough seas will lift a ship over a torpedo"

Almost a flat calm.

"Also, it could be a mod issue"

GFO and Gone Asiatic, neither of which mess with the draft.

You often see this on the 10,000 ton tanker, if it's loaded the freeboard is almost gone, if it's in ballast (empty) there's several feet of red lead showing below the plimsoll line. Never saw it with a warship before.

That's another shot of the Shokaku in better light;

That's a different one with the correct draft in Manila Bay. Some kind of glitch with that task force, north west coast of Luzon in March 42, affects only the two SHOKAKU carriers. The MOGAMI and MAYA heavy cruisers and the battlewagon all have the correct draft.
Old 05-22-15, 07:14 PM   #5
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

You didn't say what year. Mk14s were notorious for running deep, among the many other problems.
Old 05-22-15, 08:19 PM   #6
Sniper297
The Old Man

1942. Duds off. With duds off the torpedoes run at the exact depth set.

Did you try looking at the pictures?

If SHOKAKU normally draws 21 feet you can offload fuel, munitions, airplanes, and make the crew walk the plank it STILL won't rise to a 10 foot draft. This particular glitch made the carriers draw only 10 feet of water (again, LOOK AT THE PICTURES) which is impossible and has zip point diddly squat to do with torpedo problems or wave action. Again LOOK AT THE PICTURES it's a flat calm and the blasted thing is riding high out of the water. Can anyone see the pictures?
Old 05-22-15, 10:24 PM   #7
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Ok, I can see a big difference between the last two pictured. As you say, the seas are calm. How far apart in your game did you take these shots?

I wasn't aware anything in the game changed the draft of a ship, once it was set in the *.sim file. (I mean apart from damage sustained after it is rendered.)

Old 05-22-15, 10:52 PM   #8
Sniper297
The Old Man

A few months, December 41 and March 42. Again those are two different SHOKAKUs from two completely different task forces, in fact different patrols. The second task force with the two carriers is obviously screwed up somehow, since I reloaded a save and tried the same contact a second time, same effect - two carriers sitting way up high, all the rest of the ships at their normal drafts. Can't figure what in the .mis file would cause that, there's no depth setting in the mission editor.

Main reason I asked is because it's the first time I've seen this particular glitch, wondered if anyone else had ever seen it.
Old 05-23-15, 12:52 AM   #9
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Well, I don't recall seeing anything like that, but then, if the deviation happened to be more subtle, I might not notice.

There is a entry in some of the ship's *.cfg files that set a value for "displacement variation". I tried to make use of it, but it didn't seem to have any effect in my tests. I concluded it was another broken/not used part of the files. IIRC, only a small number of the ships had it.

It seems like the game goes off the rails, now and then, for no particular reason.