SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-13, 07:19 AM   #1
Kevin_Rissell
Watch

Downloads: 383
Uploads: 0
Default Was working fine, but then Microsoft stepped in... TEARING my hair out

I could save games and make progress, then Microsoft had an update for something...

Now I can only load the automatic save when I enter port. I still have to save during the game to avoid CTDs, but I can't load them.... Makes it difficult, but not impossible.

What does make it impossible is NOT being able to read the "Urgent Message" from BDU (there's nothing to read, it's blank, like the dragon scroll), so NOW it still thinks I should only end the patrol in Brest, even though it's now an enemy port!!!

So, I can't enter port any more, and my only saved games that will load are the ones that are automatically saved when entering port!!!

It's like the heaven's opened up and I saw the hand of God reaching out to me and giving me the finger.

I've owned the game for three some odd years and have yet to make it to the end because of crashes/bugs/computer crap....
Kevin_Rissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-13, 10:17 AM   #2
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Kevin, that sounds weird. I've never seen any MS update cause problems with with SH5... or any other game. It could be UPlay causing the problem. You can turn off the 'saves online' and have them saved only to you SH5 folder in My Documents. UPlay is a DRM that causes problems, but is neccessary for MP online, and also to update SH5 with the 1.2 patch. Make sure the 1.2 US patch is instalaaled. SH5 is useless without it and mods. UBI was supposed to do away with it or change it somehow, but so far we've seen no changes....as usual.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 02:20 AM   #3
Kevin_Rissell
Watch

Default Thanks for reply..

Thank you for replying with good advice. I am patched to 1.2, and I never save online. I use a good bit of MODS, and TDW's patcher (which works great!), though I never could get TDW's UI working well enough to play the game and enjoy it. I even upgraded my RAM from 4gig to 8gig for SH5 (which helped ctd's when that first torp hit a convoy (not a "task force" gosh darn you #1))

Love OH II full, Sobers Mods, and have all the updates and fixes for smoke etc. And I do read the instructions (and try to understand and follow them, though I am human and make silly mistakes sometimes) and follow threads here for advice. Tried changing settings in Uplay, starting game, quiting, changing back, etc. as per one post. Of course, this is "The final years" last campaign in OH II, and my homer port of Brest was captured while I was on patrol. I got the "Urgent message" from Bdu via talking to the radio operator, but it said nothing (the message block was blank), and I am assuming this is where it should have told me about Brest being overrun and my home port changed to Wilhelmsheaven (sp?) or Kiel, but with the blank message I could do nothing, and had to open the Radio Operators abilities screen from the link in the message box just to get out of the message box (kinda like being stuck talking to the Cook without an "End Conversation" choice)..

Been down the virus/malware road (Norton 360, MBAM, spybot s&d, etc), and the defrag highway. Reinstalled Visual C++, and always have the latest video drivers (dual 1gig ATI 5770's in crossfire mode). System event logs show that the Application ID service doesn't start now since it is missing some file (found this today and will repair tonight after work)...

Only other option seems to be follow Microsoft's advice, and back up all my data, then reformat my hard drive and start from scratch (It's their advice for almost every issue in their social forums). I'd love to do that, but I'm living out of Hotels right now after a drunk driver smashed his car into my apartments front door, took out the wall the door was attached to, and nearly dropped the building on me. Thank God I was playing SH5 at 1:09 A.M. and not in bed, 'cause he took out my bedroom., I'd just walked by the front door 15 sec. earlier and sat at my PC when it happened. Didn't have to get up to call 911. Anyway, they had to build a temporary wall to keep the building from collapsing, and I only had enough room in my car to take work clothes and my PC. SOOO, all of my software I could do a re-install with is now behind that wall, along with my taxes, some blood-work paperwork, etc... Fun, eh?

Anyway, I'm very appreciative for the advice, and I'm trying to keep my frustration in check, since SH5 really did save my life in a way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Kevin, that sounds weird. I've never seen any MS update cause problems with with SH5... or any other game. It could be UPlay causing the problem. You can turn off the 'saves online' and have them saved only to you SH5 folder in My Documents. UPlay is a DRM that causes problems, but is neccessary for MP online, and also to update SH5 with the 1.2 patch. Make sure the 1.2 US patch is instalaaled. SH5 is useless without it and mods. UBI was supposed to do away with it or change it somehow, but so far we've seen no changes....as usual.
Old 03-07-13, 05:43 AM   #4
Kevin_Rissell
Watch

NOW things are REALLY weird

WOW...

Snuck back into home base (Brest) after it fell to the allies..... Couldn't end the patrol anywhere else....

Started the next patrol, and now the Date is January 01, 1601... YEP, 1601 !!!

Graphically, Brest port still exists and must be navigated (that was hard) or you'll hit the concrete channel sides, but on the MAP it is gone, and so are all the other ports, nations, etc........

SPOOKY
Old 03-07-13, 03:34 PM   #5
andy_311
The Old Man

Downloads: 82

1.2 patch? why dont you update to 1.5 that might solve your problem
Old 03-07-13, 04:15 PM   #6
Targor Avelany
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_311 View Post
1.2 patch? why dont you update to 1.5 that might solve your problem
there is no patch 1.5 in SH5
Targor Avelany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 01:17 PM   #7
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Rissell View Post
WOW...

Snuck back into home base (Brest) after it fell to the allies..... Couldn't end the patrol anywhere else....

Started the next patrol, and now the Date is January 01, 1601... YEP, 1601 !!!

Graphically, Brest port still exists and must be navigated (that was hard) or you'll hit the concrete channel sides, but on the MAP it is gone, and so are all the other ports, nations, etc........

SPOOKY
Hi Kevin,
Would you mind posting your mod order and system specs.
With the disappearing map features and message box problems, it really has the sound of either mod list problems or somewhere along the line there is an error that's devoloped in the SH5 exe, which is easy to do when enabling and disabling patches.
When you mentione the UI mod I got interested because although it's a great mod, it can get complex between it, and the patcher ect.
If your game was running before, with some patience, it'll run again.
Old 03-09-13, 07:25 PM   #8
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targor Avelany View Post
there is no patch 1.5 in SH5
Yeah Targor, that threw me for a loop too.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote