SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-20-13, 11:15 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default {REL} REALSCOPES and EARLYWARSCOPES for TMO

I love the attack scope in TMO but never liked the observation scope, felt it is too much help, esp in early war with green crosshairs all that.

These mods change the scopes. The attack scope, which was smaller, more difficult to detect and had the stadimeter in it, works well in daytime and into the evening but once it's dark, difficult to use.The obs scope(as in real life) is slightly better as it transmitted light better since it was larger.There is a noticeable difference in the optics but it's not night vision.Can always use a color filter mod, if you do, use the RFB version as the obs scope is from RFB.

Now, for older boats such as porpoise, S boats, sargo/salmon the scopes were the same, both had stadimeters(game even models them , notice one scope in tambor/gar/gato/balao has no stadimeter dial on the bottom but both scopes in the conning tower and control room in the Porpoise/Sargo/Salmon and both scopes in S boats have stadimeters and were the same attack type scopes(some boats upgraded in later war may have had obs scope put in) Captain Ken Ruiz remarked in his book "The Luck of the Draw" they never used the scope in the control room because they had to stay at around 50 feet to use it, boat tended to broach at that depth, so they always used scope in conning tower.

The point of this is mainly to for more realistic abilities to shoot with the scopes and help distinguish between the different classes of boats.

EARLYWARSCOPES:http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4164

REALSCOPES: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4165

This mod basically took the obs scope from RFB to replace the TMO.The attack scopes are TMO's excellent attack scope. I made this for myself but decided to share.

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 08-20-13 at 11:40 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 09:12 PM   #2
c13Garrison
Ensign

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

So if I'm in an Sboat, would I notice a difference? It sounds like you're saying the S' s scopes are fine.
c13Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 11:21 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by c13Garrison View Post
So if I'm in an Sboat, would I notice a difference? It sounds like you're saying the S' s scopes are fine.

Yes you would see a difference esp in low light conditions, both would be the "attack" scope instead of one attack scope and one night scope as standard in TMO.No green crosshairs, no night optics when you use the "night scope " by hitting the "O" key. S boat never had such a thing, had two scopes, both had stadimeters and both transmitted light the same.
Old 08-22-13, 05:43 AM   #4
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0

Thanks! I'm using 1.5 optical targeting correction for RSRD and TMO and also 1.5 OTC realistic scopes.
They probably will not run together, right?
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-13, 11:59 AM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
Thanks! I'm using 1.5 optical targeting correction for RSRD and TMO and also 1.5 OTC realistic scopes.
They probably will not run together, right?
Probably not with OTC as OTC messes with scope resolutions etc and its different than TMO