SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-23-22, 05:51 PM   #1
LowDiveBird
Swabbie

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default Rookie Submariner, SH3 vanilla or modded?

I'm starting a new playthrough of sh3 and wanted to know if I should get used to vanilla with qol mods or jump into a overhaul pack. I have the very basics down so there's that. The mods I have is CM and a wide screen mod. I've looked in GWX and thought between vanilla or that starting out.
LowDiveBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-22, 10:46 PM   #2
Verarch
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 14

tbh, i've only briefly poked at vanilla SH3 and wasn't really that impressed. Downloading Onealex's pack for SH3 was perfect. Has GWX tuned right out of the box and SH3Commander, which I couldn't play without, but if you'd rather not reinstall SH3 then I'd look into individually downloading those two mods. They add quite a lot and I couldn't really imagine going back to vanilla.
Verarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 03:43 AM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Verarch!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 04:51 AM   #4
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Depends on the experience.

SH3 is a nice game vanilla, but there are many great mods that will help make it even better.

I prefer NYGM as it is more realistic in terms of enemy aggression.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 12:11 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

If you're pretty comfortable with stock SH3, then would say it's time to amp it up a bit.

There is LSH3 2015, which is still good... though there have been 2 recent reworx done, LSH3 2020 & LSH3 2022

Then there are the following which are predicated on your already having unfettered access to having SH3, BUT... do NOT require you to use that stock copy to run them, as the mod maker for them, have already laid out the grunt work for the player.

OneAlex's GWX Reworx... latest is, v1.52 (there was word of an update being done, but... owing to whats going on over in the Ukraine, well.... *throws up a prayer for OneAlex as well as all over there in that country*) that may, or may not get released.

Ok, moving on...

Fifi's hardcore enhanced NYGM. With this one Fifi's (like with OneAlex) has done most of the grunt work here for the player... though, there is still a wee bit that you will have to do. Unlike OneAlex's, this does call for you to use a copy of stock SH3 to set up.

Next up, is ToyotaGT86's GWX reworx... Screenies & such that I've seen, look great... on this 1, I'm still in the process of seeing of getting this up & going.

After that, is GWR, by Anvar1061... believe this 1, calls for using a copy of your stock SH3... tried setting it up a bit ago & ran into difficulty getting it set up. Though, not to discourage any from going for it... that was just Me. Am still considering giving it another shot, here sometime.

Last up, but certainly not all of the choices, just gonna focus on the ones I know of... that are still undergoing updating that I'm aware of... is:

WAC (think the latest is v5.x *x being unknown on the exact designator here...* ) Any who.... screenies & such, that I've seen.... look great, as with Anvar1061's GWR, this is another that I tried a bit back... & may see of retrying again, at some time. Soon as I can see of having a bit better rig than what I'm on now.

That's all those that as I know of, are still being updated... currently, as mentioned... there are others but those are oldies but still goodies...

as is, the 2 out of those that I have set up & using are Fifi's enhanced NYGM & OneAlex's GWX reworx.

As always, is hoped that this info, is found to be of help...

Gute jagd, ihr Himmelhunde.!

M. M.
Old 08-24-22, 12:13 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar Re: Welcome aboard...

Verarch!
Old 08-24-22, 12:42 PM   #7
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

I'd be reluctant to just 'Throw in ALL UbiSoft files' for any mod making purchise
of the Game not necessary. And here is why.

UbiSoft IS for sale. So ALL rights, source code, and Licenses would be obtained in the Sale!
SHOULD someone buy UbiSoft? They would have every legal right to go after VIOLATERS who provided full Game installs as PIRATES!

Personnaly? If one can not build a Mod WITHOUT Pirateing the basic software? Then something is VERY wrong.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-22, 03:36 PM   #8
LowDiveBird
Swabbie

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
If you're pretty comfortable with stock SH3, then would say it's time to amp it up a bit.

There is LSH3 2015, which is still good... though there have been 2 recent reworx done, LSH3 2020 & LSH3 2022

Then there are the following which are predicated on your already having unfettered access to having SH3, BUT... do NOT require you to use that stock copy to run them, as the mod maker for them, have already laid out the grunt work for the player.

OneAlex's GWX Reworx... latest is, v1.52 (there was word of an update being done, but... owing to whats going on over in the Ukraine, well.... *throws up a prayer for OneAlex as well as all over there in that country*) that may, or may not get released.

Ok, moving on...

Fifi's hardcore enhanced NYGM. With this one Fifi's (like with OneAlex) has done most of the grunt work here for the player... though, there is still a wee bit that you will have to do. Unlike OneAlex's, this does call for you to use a copy of stock SH3 to set up.

Next up, is ToyotaGT86's GWX reworx... Screenies & such that I've seen, look great... on this 1, I'm still in the process of seeing of getting this up & going.

After that, is GWR, by Anvar1061... believe this 1, calls for using a copy of your stock SH3... tried setting it up a bit ago & ran into difficulty getting it set up. Though, not to discourage any from going for it... that was just Me. Am still considering giving it another shot, here sometime.

Last up, but certainly not all of the choices, just gonna focus on the ones I know of... that are still undergoing updating that I'm aware of... is:

WAC (think the latest is v5.x *x being unknown on the exact designator here...* ) Any who.... screenies & such, that I've seen.... look great, as with Anvar1061's GWR, this is another that I tried a bit back... & may see of retrying again, at some time. Soon as I can see of having a bit better rig than what I'm on now.

That's all those that as I know of, are still being updated... currently, as mentioned... there are others but those are oldies but still goodies...

as is, the 2 out of those that I have set up & using are Fifi's enhanced NYGM & OneAlex's GWX reworx.

As always, is hoped that this info, is found to be of help...

Gute jagd, ihr Himmelhunde.!

M. M.
Thanks for the detailed list, looks like OneAlex's GWX might be my choice to go with! Now time to learn manual torpedo targeting...
LowDiveBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-22, 12:03 AM   #9
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96

Welcome to the community!

There's a bunch of old salts around here that will be glad to steer you in the right direction, and as for your question, I'll add my own two cents...

I played vanilla SHIII for a long time. It's quite the experience without mods, but the wide variety of options available only improve the game. I've personally always been a fan of GWX, which, while not as realistic as, say, NYGM, or (by itself) not as pretty as LSHIII can be, is an outstanding supermod adding a lot of content in its own right.

Pick and choose your own SHIII experience, and remember that the old breed of Kaleuns are always willing to help! Good hunting!

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 12:15 PM   #10
Shadowblade
Frogman

Downloads: 12

I have tried both vanilla and GWX and I can recommend GWX

Kapitänleutnant Vlad von Carstein - U-Flotilla Saltzwedel - U-123, Type IXB

SH3 GWX 3.0
Shadowblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-22, 04:19 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I'd be reluctant to just 'Throw in ALL UbiSoft files' for any mod making purchise
of the Game not necessary. And here is why.

UbiSoft IS for sale. So ALL rights, source code, and Licenses would be obtained in the Sale!
SHOULD someone buy UbiSoft? They would have every legal right to go after VIOLATERS who provided full Game installs as PIRATES!

Personnaly? If one can not build a Mod WITHOUT Pirateing the basic software? Then something is VERY wrong.

Ahoy, Jeff...

If you reread this part in My break down of the different mod sets...

That is in no way, is condoning piracy... just to be clear. *nod*

Hope that, clears the air, there on that...

M. M.