Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-08, 10:53 PM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default SHCE Scenario Editor?

I was looking around in the SHCE scenario editor today.

What does the RANDOMIZE option do for a scenario? It is not documented in the editor PDF guide which comes with the game. Nor do I find it mentioned in the release notes for version 1.31.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-08, 04:51 PM   #2
ChristopherT
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
I was looking around in the SHCE scenario editor today.

What does the RANDOMIZE option do for a scenario? It is not documented in the editor PDF guide which comes with the game. Nor do I find it mentioned in the release notes for version 1.31.

Thanks.
That's a good question! With the number of scenarios he created, Jeff Johnson would probably be able to answer that. I'm wondering if it randomizes those variables like ship speeds, time of day, weather, sea state, etc. Just enough to stay within the bounds of the enviroment settings, but enough so every replay of a scenario is not a carbon copy of itself. On mine its already turned on.

Christopher
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-08, 05:08 PM   #3
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I mainly play the campaign mode although I do have 400 custom scenarios for the game.

However, I was bored the other night and was just stepping through it. That was the only feature not covered in the docs. So, it must have been added fairly late.

Actually, it is a nice little scenario editor. I like it. The only thing that is a bit irritating is that the editor tool box is so big that it obscures 50% of the map!
Old 02-02-08, 06:10 PM   #4
ChristopherT
Helmsman

Quote:
I mainly play the campaign mode although I do have 400 custom scenarios for the game.

However, I was bored the other night and was just stepping through it. That was the only feature not covered in the docs. So, it must have been added fairly late.

Actually, it is a nice little scenario editor. I like it. The only thing that is a bit irritating is that the editor tool box is so big that it obscures 50% of the map!
What would have been neat is random start points and multiple paths like Harpoon Classic had. We lost the AN/APR-1A radar detector too. It's mentioned in the docs and the scenario editor but you never get it. As as my research dug up, it was a sub-unit of the SJ radar. It would've been on the radar panel if they finished it.

Christopher
Old 02-04-08, 07:38 PM   #5
bishop
A-ganger

Downloads: 4

Quote:
In the Commanders Edition Data Book, it's on page 21 under Scenario Ending Options:

"Scenarios can be set to end when the submarine breaks contact with all remaining Japanese ships or at a random time. If both these settings are active, breaking contact has precedence, although you are prompted to end or continue the scenario if you wish"
bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 07:49 PM   #6
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Thanks.
Old 02-05-08, 01:46 AM   #7
ChristopherT
Helmsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop

In the Commanders Edition Data Book, it's on page 21 under Scenario Ending Options:
Thanks, Bishop! I'm sure I missed that completely!

Christopher
Old 02-08-08, 08:16 PM   #8
Palindromeria
Planesman

sadly ive never figured out the install procedure.
it gives me a headache just reading it. ..

the editor in this game was wonderful.
i especially like the ram usage meter.
you could really see the ins and outs of what was going to be too much strain.
and since these same "strain" issues show themselves in sh2 dc dw
i considered it wisdom well learned.

the ability to specify torpedo types loaded and reloads remaining also rocked

i recall writing a namkwan mission where i gave barb her precise torp load at time of event. not surprisingly the mission tactics and results were pretty much always in line with reality. was way too cool !
Palindromeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 09:21 PM   #9
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

The WWII subsims play much better than SC/DW scenarios. SC/DW engine is a fine engine, but alas the scenario editors were too powerful for their own good in these games. You can script any type of behavior/objective so it was rarely clear and simple to the player what he was supposed to do. As such SC/DW scenarios often end up being riddles and puzzles. A real shame. The SHCE scenario editor was very easy to use and well done.
Old 08-14-08, 02:24 AM   #10
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

I thought it randomized whether a ship would be in a scenario.