SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-04-07, 09:10 PM   #1
Ross
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Need help to identify a song in Das Boot.

Hello all,
I recently had the opportunity to see Das Boot Uncut and was simply amazed at this epic. I have seen the different versions of Das Boot over the years but never the 5 hour uncut version. I recomend this great piece of art to anyone who has never seen this.
Now to my question. I am trying to indentify a song in Das Boot that remains a mystery to me. This song appears twice to my knowledge in the movie. The first time I hear it is after the U-Boat is depth-charged by the Destroyer they unsuccessfully tried to attack. The capitan references the song by saying this is "From my private collection" while they are eating some type of custard and cherries deciding when they will surface. The second time is when the capitan gets the "triple-encipherd" orders and finds out about La Spezia. The voice sounds like Rina Ketty who does J'attendrai. I've done google searches and even looked at the credits with no luck. Any ideas?

Last edited by Ross; 07-04-07 at 09:39 PM.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 04:42 AM   #2
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

Welcome to the forum Ross. I have the original soundtrack to the movie but am unsure what piece you are referring. Go here where you can hear samples of each track and see if the one you want is there: http://www.tescodownloads.com/servle...UM&lmid=999691

It may well be that it is not on the movie soundtrack album in which case further research will be required.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF

Last edited by Captain Nemo; 07-05-07 at 05:28 AM.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-07, 09:35 AM   #3
Ross
Swabbie

Thanks for the reply. I do know that it is not on the soundtrack nor the credits. Yet it is played at least twice in the Uncut version and seems to be another favorite of the capitan and he even says while smiling "From my private collection" when referencing the song. The first time it is played is during a great scene after they survive their first depth charge attack and you see Lieutenant Werner sitting in a state of shock whilst the other 3 officers are calmly eating some type of desert with cherries. I am sure it is Rina Ketty but can not locate the song title. :hmm: Google searches have not helped me. I will keep at it unil i find it.
Old 07-05-07, 10:35 AM   #4
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

I'm intrigued, I'll have to dig out the DVD and reference the scene you mention to hear the song myself.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF
Old 07-05-07, 11:12 AM   #5
Ross
Swabbie

That song has been in my head for over a week since I watched the Uncut version.
Old 07-06-07, 11:15 AM   #6
Ross
Swabbie

I have exhausted all of my searches with no luck. Anything related to Rina Ketty and Das Boot only gives J'attendrai as a result with searches. That is no doubt her voice on that track and would be consistent with the capitans admiration and reactions to J'attendrai as her being a favorite vocalist..he had a similar reaction to this song by making a point that it is "from my private collection", as it is very personal and meaningful.

Old 07-06-07, 06:23 PM   #7
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

The song in question is "J'attendrai" by Rina Ketty.

No, I take that back. You're talking about an entirely different song altogether. Hm. You're right, it sounds like Ketty, but I don't know the song.....

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-07, 06:35 PM   #8
Ross
Swabbie

Thanks for checking it out. It will be a tough one to get an answer for unless you are familer with Ketty's work. I think it is safe to say it is her. I will keep hunting though.
Old 09-23-07, 04:53 AM   #9
poor sailor
XO

Downloads: 15

I think that I'm know what is the song you look. It's "La Paloma". I think that I'm heard this song in movie but there isn't on album list.
Look what I found on Wiki

La Paloma is played in these movies:
The Private Life of Don Juan, 1934

La Paloma, Ein Lied der Kameradschaft, 1934
Juarez, 1939

Große Freiheit Nr. 7 (Great Freedom No 7), 1944, with Hans Albers

La Paloma, Germany 1958, with Louis Armstrong starring in the movie but not singing La Paloma

Freddy, die Gitarre und das Meer, 1959, with Freddy Quinn
Freddy und der Millionär, with Freddy Quinn

Adua e le compagne, 1960
Blue Hawaii, 1961, Elvis Presley singing “No More”

Das Boot, 1981

Mortelle Randonnée, 1983, Hans Albers singing a German version

Schtonk!, 1992, with these lyrics: "Hermann Hermann Willié,/ Mit 'nem Akzent auf dem E,/ Du bist die grösste Supernase/ Die ich am Bord hier seh."

The House of the Spirits, 1993

A Moment to Remember (film), 2004
Hable con ella, from Pedro Almodovar, with the text variation "Kukurukuku Paloma".
poor sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-07, 12:43 PM   #10
ALTEN
Watch

Downloads: 136

La Paloma by Rosita Serrano.
ALTEN is offline   Reply With Quote