SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-05, 07:25 AM   #1
Teemu
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

It seems one can keep electric torpedoes in the external stores. This was not sensible, because sea water would ruin the batteries. Only steam powered ones were kept in the external stores.
Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 08:22 AM   #2
Paul Roberts
Helmsman

Downloads: 83

Quick question:

Is the torpedo speed setting bug still in effect? That is, can you set the speed on torp #1, then go to torp #2 with a different speed, and then discover that torp #1 has reverted?

Sorry if that's not clear. It's an old bug.
Paul Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 11:08 AM   #3
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Roberts
Quick question:

Is the torpedo speed setting bug still in effect? That is, can you set the speed on torp #1, then go to torp #2 with a different speed, and then discover that torp #1 has reverted?

IIRC this was adressed in patch 1.4b, please correct me if I am wrong.
Drebbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 12:52 PM   #4
jasonb885
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBClark
Here's an oldie but a goodie. I never experienced this one before the 1.4 patch but I read other people say that they did. I just got a CTD on clicking a crew management shortcut button. In this case I clicked on "submerged cruise mode" in a lazy effort to empty out my torpedo rooms. Before the patch, I could do this at will and never got a CTD.
Oddly enough I have been using those buttons with reckless abandon in v1.4b and have never had a crash. In 1.0 -> 1.2 it always crashed for me eventually. It could be I'm just very fortunate.
jasonb885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 01:04 PM   #5
jasonb885
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus
Here's one:

But the sinking wasn't registered! I looked at Captain's Log; only shows 1 Coastal Merchant and 1 C3 sunk. Sent Status Report, looked at messages log - same thing. After returning to Wilhelmshafen, Patrol Report again showed only one Coastal Merchant and one C3 sunk.
Yes, I just had that happen to me after spending a real life hour deck gunning a T2 to death after a torpedo hit with RuB1.42.

Never got credit. Before that day I thought the credit-bug was an urban legend. Sadly I was wrong.
jasonb885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 01:34 PM   #6
Strelich
Swabbie

Downloads: 31
Default possible solution to rare Typ9x series int blinking lights

Hello,

To my recollection, there have been only two threads about this since the game's release, neither of which had any solutions to them. (Actually, most of the replies were of people confused as to what was actually being described, though if I remember one person posted an animated GIF showing what was going on.) In a nutshell, the interior lights (the caged lights on the ceiling and on the walls in the sonar room) would blink on and off in the Type 9 submarines at regular intervals, around once every three seconds.

For a while, I had this problem, then it disappeared until last week. After believing it to be a mod, I reinstalled SH3 with just the 1.4b patch, and it still happened. It occurred to me that I hadn't deleted the SH3 directory where the save games and preferences are.

After lots of trial and error, I finally found out that, strangely enough, it was the 'particle density' setting in the video settings which was causing it. I had set it to 85 a few weeks ago and had continued another career in other sub types. Only this week did I realize the odd behavior was back.

Interestingly enough, if I set the slider to 0 (and restarting the game), the lights in the control room don't come on at all, and the lights elsewhere stay on. The ambient light remains.

Anyhow, I'm hoping to get a few screenshots and perhaps a Fraps movie that better explains what's visually going on. It is likely a rare problem (given only two people in my memory has posted about it, not to mention it only happens in one submarine type) and I can't remember the key search phrase as to make it easily findable on the website.

So, I guess it's a bug that can be replicated, but also can be solved by leaving the particle slider bar at 100. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 and am running windows XP on an Athlon XP 2200. My Catalyst version is 5.6, but this problem has happened back using 1.2, using the Catalyst 5.3 drivers in early April, I'd assume. I've also tested it on an Athlon XP 3400 with a Radeon 9600XT with the same results, using Catalyst 5.4.

Even though the bug (or rather, odd graphical glitch) can be avoided, this is an answer to the two other people who ran into it months ago, assuming they're still around and/or experiencing it.

I suppose it's not that annoying, though at night it's like the boat is on 'red alert' with the blinking.
Strelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-05, 02:43 PM   #7
GrayWolf3rdXO
Watch

Downloads: 35

I acualy think the only bugs I got are the crew not going to wher they are suposed to along with the comander plus the saved bug.

Agin they came up with the 1.3 and still continue. Cept now not only does the comander stay in bed my enegin crew do not go in to the coraspwnding enegins on dive/surface

meaning lesss I do it my self my sub wont go. Nore if my game crashes and I saved befor it happend my carear is over having to start all over agin
Old 07-08-05, 03:36 PM   #8
Taurondin
Swabbie

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebbel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Roberts
Quick question:

IIRC this was adressed in patch 1.4b, please correct me if I am wrong.
Drebbel, yes they`ve fixed the running speed & range for T2 electrics to 3000m @ 30kts - but I think this is a different old quirk.

If you switch from say a T1 Steamers in Tube 1 to a T2 Electric in Tube 2 - you have to click on the speed selector switch in F6 before firing (even though only `Slow` is available for electrics) - otherwide the TDC uses the wrong speed leading to a miss.

You can see the predicted torpedo path move, even though the switch itself doesn`t. Silly niggle. Mind you, so is having default settings of 4metre depth and magnetic which is an odd combination
Old 07-08-05, 03:51 PM   #9
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

You really sure this bug is still there. Test in the past (including me), and comments by people who should know, seem to indicate the bug has been fixed.
Old 07-08-05, 10:38 PM   #10
Jungman
Samurai Navy

Working with testing for Elainba (dev) the T-2 is actually 28 knots @ 3km. Not 30 knots @ 3km.

Tested in game. Only the better T-3 go at 30 knots.

Your T-2 may come up short, it is to similate the old crappy early cold battery powered models of the electric eel.
Jungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-05, 09:02 AM   #11
Engineer

Downloads: 2

Here is a bug that did smash me this game forever.
after so much patches it's still there.
well done ubi

It's about saved games.
i'll tell you this story cos that better for me to explain.

So i re-installed the game after smashing it for the first time.
with this new shiny 1.4b patch. and this real sub mod. I hope it will be all nice and cool.
I start a carreer and buy stuff for my sub and leave port with 700 re-own points.
Along the way i get bombed by aircrafts, and had to repair everything.
all right i'm pretty heavy demaged but i can submerge to pretty deep.
Well after playing for a while i had to quiet so i SAVE while being at 30 meters depth :hmm:

Next day i load it up from this point and i see my ship going creazy and see everyone dying onboard. I sink. WTF???
This made me really frustrating. almost ready to smash this game.

Okey so then i load up my very first save which is the begin of my career in the harbor.
Cool my re-own is 700 and my stuff is lost. WTF?

SMASH!!!!

I can't beliefe that this bug isn't fixed.

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-05, 09:10 AM   #12
Drebbel
Dutch Sea Lord

Never leave you sub submerged or while underattack.

Stay on your post !

Old 07-10-05, 11:05 AM   #13
Engineer

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drebbel
Never leave you sub submerged or while underattack.

Stay on your post !

:rotfl: :rotfl:
good one

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-05, 12:15 PM   #14
GrayWolf3rdXO
Watch

Downloads: 35

Only prob I got with the save thing is I cant contuine after I leave. I have to start the mission all over agin dam saved game thing.
Old 07-14-05, 10:30 AM   #15
cappy70
Ensign

Downloads: 5
Default CTD 1.4b

Hi..

First things first: I have no mods at all installed.

77.72 drivers on my 6800 Ultra and 2 gig PQI 3200 ram mem, AMD 64 bit 3400.(I have a very "clean system", no icons hanging around, my Startup is clean from background programs, only NVcpl 'on' there.
In Services besides Microsoft services I have only Nvidia display driver running )

I play a lot of games and the only game during these last months of playing SH3 + a lot of other games , SH3 is the only one that produces a CTD, very randomly I should say.

Now, after I installed the 1.4b patch I suddenly get, instead of a CTD, a reset of the whole system. I've played SH3 about 7 days straight now and this ROS ( Reset of System :rotfl: ) has happened 2 times out of maybe 10 hours+ playtime. It's not much, but it does happen and it's only, I say again, with SH3 I get this.

I've tried to nail down in what enviroment/gameplay this crash happens, but I've haven't got that far (yet). Well,,the last ROS happened during cruise back to base at time-compression, that I remember
I've checked my graphic card temps., card running at 56 - 60 C just after playing, CPU at 32 C and mobo at 28, so no major overheating there.
Intel I7-4790K 4 Ghz
16 Gig Trident Claw DDR 3
2 x 760 GTX 2048 mem in SLI.
WD 1T Hd Ultra/WD Black 640
Corsair 850W PSU
cappy70 is offline   Reply With Quote