SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-01-16, 08:24 AM   #1
Georgemeister
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What's the best browser for a Mac?

Hello Fellow Submarine Lovers

I hope this is not off-topic, I was just wondering what is the best browser to use for a Mac? Have been using internet explorer and it's just so slow.

Thanks,
Georgemeister
Georgemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 08:27 AM   #2
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

I think Mac-Users usually use Safari? It should even be pre-installed with any of Apple's OS

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 08:33 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

https://tiptopsecurity.com/what-is-t...e-web-browser/

"Features" and "speed", and "safety and protection", unfortunately do not play the same ball game.

If you do not care for privacy protection and being profiled from head to toe, Chrome, due to its speed. If you care for defending your privacy and making profiling you more difficult, Firefox and according Addons.

Keep in mind that some companies like Chrome, Microsoft,Apple, unscrupulously lie about their "respect" LOL for privacy and do their best to deceive people and keep them in imagined, false safety, while leaving them vulnerable to spying on them. Candy-sweet words are to be heard aplenty. DO NOT BELIEVE THEM. Assume the opposite - and prepare for something even worse.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-01-16 at 08:50 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 09:04 AM   #4
Georgemeister
Watch

Thanks for the advice guys. You'e right Safari did come pre-installed however I had been so used to Internet Explorer from before that I just used that. It's time for a change I think. I was checking out your link and yea I really do need to evaluate to what extent I value privacy and convenience.

I was actually doing some reading and I came upon this page : https://www.1and1.com/digitalguide/h...ndows-and-mac/ . Basically for MAC, Safari really is the best browser to use. Thanks
Old 11-01-16, 09:47 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Just be aware of that "privcacy" and "safety" are two different things. In the link I posted, for example Chrome rates best in "security", still I condemn it. Why? It is because Chrome gets patched incredibly fast if they find a security threat due to malware and zero day exploits, stuff being done by hackers, that is. No other of the browsers in that table gets patched as fast and as often as Chrome. This does not change that Chrome nevertheless is by design, wanted and intentionally, very vulnerable to privacy breaches established by Google itself, since Chrome logs and reports all and evertyhing and profiles you from A to Z. WEhatever you do with your rig, Google, also Microsoft, know it, want to know it, claim right to know it. In Google's understanding, that is a "service". In mine, it is a serious security breach. Microsoft'S Windows 10 profiles you as excessively, and putting that technology into Windows 7 by Windows Updates, they call an "experience enhancement for the user", while I call it a deliberate malware attack and a complete compromising of my system security. People still updating their Windows 7 today, could as well have installed Windows 10 by now, they are already lost and just did not notice that they got sold away. They run Windows 10 with a W7 logo written on top of it.

Many switches and options in the past in Chrome and Windows 10 were known and got revealed as being dummy-switches, the user considered himself to be safe form something, but indeed the switch did nothing and Google and Microsoft continued to play their wicked ways on him.

I cannot comment on to what degree Google may have toned that deception down. Toning it down would violate their busines interests and models - keep that in mind. What company likes to damage its own business model?

That is why Firefox must be rated as much more safe and secure, than Chrome.

How the difference between patching speed to tackle hacker attacks, and privacy security is regarding Safari, I do not know.

P.S. My short time memory just fooled me, I thought the two ratings in that tabel were Security and Speed, while in fact they reflect what I said and are Security and Privacy. My fault.

I used Opera before they made the cnnages with it some yxears ago that are mentioned in the text, and I hated them, the browser was a pain to be used then - where before it was my first choice. I have not chekced it out since long time, however, and so do not know if and how they improved. It has a small market share, which is a great advantage, and lowers its attractiveness, and it used to be very safe for privacy in the old days. How that now is with new engine chromium, I do not know.

If I ever become unsatisfied with Firefox, I first will check Opera again, I think.

Firefox is the browser that comes installed by default with Linux Mint. My internet activity all is Linux based by now, not Windows.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-01-16 at 10:05 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 10:42 AM   #6
Georgemeister
Watch

That's interesting, thanks for the thoughtful response. I do value privacy a lot and so I know I won't be using Chrome for sure, even though they are the market leaders. I might check out Opera if I become dissatisfied with Safari
Old 11-01-16, 11:35 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'd tend to agree with Skybird.

Chrome is fastest and Firefox is potentially safer.

Safari I have tried but never particularly been impressed by.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 03:06 PM   #8
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

I use firefox as my browser and IXQuick as my search engine.

I did not care for Safari.
Old 11-01-16, 09:24 PM   #9
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
What's the best browser for a Mac?
Throw the Mac away, buy a PC, and use Firefox!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-16, 09:36 PM   #10
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I'm no MAC lover but I don't really care about being tracked either. If you really want privacy, don't use a computer with internet connection, live under a rock, use only cash and never show an ID, otherwise you can spend your whole life fighting the losing battle and getting all butt hurt about it.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 03:19 AM   #11
Georgemeister
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I'm no MAC lover but I don't really care about being tracked either. If you really want privacy, don't use a computer with internet connection, live under a rock, use only cash and never show an ID, otherwise you can spend your whole life fighting the losing battle and getting all butt hurt about it.
Haha that's well said man.
Old 11-02-16, 04:51 AM   #12
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ "Personal advertising" my donkey! I really wonder WHY companies like Fakebook, Google, Apple, MS and all those silicone valley idiots are so fixated on trying to create and implement always the worst of what we see in SciFi films, and sell this to us as "service".

You want a credit?
Let me see.. Facebook.. you drive a 6-year-old car (ordering spare parts on the 'net), and have not been to works maintenance since 2 years (BMW seller client information).. you needed the full interval to pay the last two Amazon bills (Amazon, PayPal).. you have not fully paid back your house (bank disclosure), oh, you do not have this house anymore because of your divorce (Facebook).. changed your job two times in the last year (LinkedIn, Stepstone).. other banks tell me you asked them for credit already (internal bank disclosure).. over 45 yars old??
Forget it!
Then giving the information to your boss, who will probably fire you because someone on FB said you did not like him (does not need to be the truth, rumours are enough) and so on.

Idiots:
a) Them silicone valley s..ckers only see as far as their next profit, and f.. people and ethics. But boasting with how modern and hip they are.
b) We buy things enabling them to exploit us.

Question is, is living without this crap really like living under a rock?
I guess not.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-16, 06:45 AM   #13
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Pearls of wisdom

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 09:31 AM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

If you guys want to do something really stupid and risky, browse under Android. All major browsers that are there, are total and complete security and privacy failures, even Firefox (not to mention that Firefox is slower than a snail on Android, its practically unusable). And when I say total and complete security and privay desasters, than you better take me by my word.

Its so FUBAR that I have banned comfortably browsing via my WLAN-tab completely. Several tests that I read over the past 12-18 months, time and again have confirmed that. Compared to any browser under Android, Chrome and Explorer 9 on Windows are high tech security zones. Under Android, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, all are insane to use. And the most fearsome news is that all these browsers under Android are especially vulnerable to Phishing attacks, which currently is the main attack scheme out there. Only Firefox caught at least 1 such attack in a recent test (and failed on four others) - all others failed totally, did not catch even one attack. None. Rien. Zero. Nill. Nada.

Zero Day Exploits: now we talk about really desperate things. We debate it later, I have to cry a while before I can carry on.

Browse under Android, if you think you must. But intelligent it is not.

Banking via banking app on Android? That is Russian roulette in the digital age!
Old 11-06-16, 12:43 PM   #15
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15

This is a really good guide for browser choice
http://66.media.tumblr.com/7a4c88e4a...2tfo1_1280.jpg

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote