SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-10, 09:11 PM   #1
Kitzbuell
Mate

Location: Birthplace of the American Navy and Marine Aviation
Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0
Default GWX3 Installation Question

Installing SH3 on a new computer after last one bricked. I was at the Gray Wolves web-page to download GWX3 and noticed that the support page suggests loading the SH3 files on a clean install to:

1. Re-install Silent Hunter 3.
    We recommend you install it outside of the "\Program Files" folder
Is this a typo or is it suggested that the SH3 installation be saved to an Ubisoft folder above the hierarchical level of the "\Program Files" on the "\C : " drive and, if so, what is to be gained or prevented by doing so?
Kitzbuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 03:43 AM   #2
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

This is no typo.

If you're using Windows XP then you can install the game in the traditional C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SH3 folder.

If you are using Windows Vista/7 you are recommended to install the game outside the Program Files folder (i.e. C:\Ubisoft\SH3)

I hope this clears it up for you
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 04:39 AM   #3
flakmonkey
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 78

Yep, no typo there, installing into the program files folder is not a good idea if you use vista/7. By default, folder permissions will cause all sorts of havok with your programs, preventing programs from altering files within their own directories etc...
In sh3s case it will prevent use of jsgme to enable mods and it will screw up sh3 commander too.
Old 06-19-10, 07:20 AM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

I'm unaware of your OS but melnibonian and flakmonkey are quite correct.

You have scrolled down the GWX website support page to the Vista OS section (possibly in error or because you do have Vista).

There is no such instruction in the XP section above because the normal default location for that OS is usually C\ProgramFiles.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 09:22 AM   #5
Kitzbuell
Mate

Thanks to one and all for your responses. I should have checked for replies to my query sooner and could have saved hours loading and reloading software in my attempts to get this to run. I am using Windows 7 (64 bit) [My first experience using this OS] and am admittedly ignorant to the technological nuances when compared to my years of working with Windows XP.

I will reload as you have advised and will give that a go. It would be a shame (crushing) to not be able to experience my favorite game on this upgraded PC after all the angst that went into this purchase.

Thanks to all for the assist. This is another confirmation of why this is the best Forum of which I have ever been a member, ... its the community.

Good Hunting
Old 06-19-10, 11:06 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitzbuell View Post
Thanks to one and all for your responses. I should have checked for replies to my query sooner and could have saved hours loading and reloading software in my attempts to get this to run. I am using Windows 7 (64 bit) [My first experience using this OS] and am admittedly ignorant to the technological nuances when compared to my years of working with Windows XP.

I will reload as you have advised and will give that a go. It would be a shame (crushing) to not be able to experience my favorite game on this upgraded PC after all the angst that went into this purchase.

Thanks to all for the assist. This is another confirmation of why this is the best Forum of which I have ever been a member, ... its the community.

Good Hunting
SINK EM ALL!!

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 12:49 PM   #7
melnibonian
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 90

Glad you're sorted. If you need any more help just give us a shout
melnibonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 01:34 PM   #8
Kitzbuell
Mate

Default One Final (I hope) Note on My Installation Problem

I am usually in such a hurry and rarely believe its my equipment or software (ha ha ha ha) so I don't as a matter of SOP include my hardware and software listings when I post. I probably should have on this matter. First, I was running at ultra-high resolution when I began loading SHIII (instead of 1024 X 768) which, after vast amounts of research, was suggested as a potential problem issue when initially loading the software.

I am not yet sure, but I believe the disk security may have also been an issue (though StarForce software was not found on the new computer after several attempts to reload the software from scratch) as I continued to repeatedly receive the same error message at each attempt to load. After overwriting the files with those included in the "no DVD" patch ("rld-sh14.rar), I was able to get SHIII to boot up perfectly (including the GWX3 MOD).

Once I ran SHIII initially with the 1024 X 768 resolution, I was then able to return to the higher default resolution and things loaded normally.

This was a critical juncture as, now that I know I can get it to run, I am about to format the drives and change the partitions to make better and faster use of this computers potential. Thanks again for your assistance and I hope this may help others though the thread would have been more accurately titled "SHIII Installation Question".

Again, Many Thanks