SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-24, 08:09 AM   #1
LinzaBFB
Nub

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Bug with no mentions on net(?)

Just decided to hop on SH3 again after a rig change. I'm running some up to date hardware with windows 11 and right after start I ran into a major problem.

I first thought that I'll get a usual black screen on launch, which I countered before, but no. Game launches perfectly, main menu looks good with resolution fix on 2k monitor, but when I start a mission and load into a submarine, the game turns black.

I still see the interface buttons on the left of the screen, some controls and the phrase "Game paused" in the middle of the screen, but after that - all black. Pressing any buttons basically does nothing, but pointing the mouse to where the crew should be highlightes the cursor. Pressing unpause does nothing, but the phrase in the middle does flash for a second and basic commands show up in the log.

Tested with all the settings turned on/off, tried reinstalling and deleting the resolution fix, googling the problem is impossible due to usual black screen bug. The drivers seem up to date, but I do think that RTX 3080 simply does not support the game.

Did anyone encounter this before? Any possible fixes? Thx in advance for all the help!
LinzaBFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-24, 02:38 PM   #2
Hooston
Medic

Downloads: 15
Default You are not alone... but almost.

There's a user with similar problems here

I suggested a few things to try, but he didn't come back. Maybe send him a PM?
I'm sure there are lots of people running new Nvidia cards without issues. There's usually loads of compatibility settings on the Nvidia control panel application to play with. I will probably be getting a new Nvidia powered Windows 11 rig in the next few weeks and I will be trying Fifi's enhanced hardcore NYGM on it. My default these days is to run Linux as it allows me to use 10-15 year old hardware with very few issues. Using the Wine compatibility layer on Linux is not straightforward but it seems to do a better job than Windows with SH3. Windows is financed by people buying new hardware.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-24, 11:58 PM   #3
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

Its been a long time since has come up but, if I remember right, there is a section missing from the main.cfg in the SH3 folder located in your My Documents on your C drive. The fix is simple, just locate the main.cfg in the game folder/data/cfg, find the missing section and copy it and paste it in the main cfg in your My Documents folder. If I am right, that should fix it.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote