Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-23, 03:03 PM   #1
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Default Do you Panic?

Why do some people panic? I've never understood why some do and some don't. Me? I never panic. Even when I had 3 fingers ripped from my hand? I instructed the people around me on how to handle the situation. Then did my own first aid and instructed them to get me to the Hospital. At a stop light? Had to tell the driver to run the damned thing!
MY quick reactions and calm mind allowed me to keep the fingers and they work perfectly today! Well. Almost perfectly.

On one of my jumps from an aircraft as a ParaTrooper? I ended up entangled with another Trooper. I had to slap him in the face and instruct him on how We would land. We both walked away.

So I've been in some bad situations and those are just 2 out of MANY over the years. I'm immune to the Panic Syndrome I guess.

In every case of an immediate, unexpected situation I have found myself in? My mind goes into a calm, instant reaction phase.
I can, and have, evaluated and reacted with a precision that amazes me! Almost as if I was disconnected from said events and I'm looking from the outside in. Time slows down or my mind speeds up allowing me to handle things in a calm, calculated manner. Even pain is a distant thing that almost does not register as normal people would register said pain.

Had a small thing happen today. I was burning off dead grasses and a couple bushes started up in flames.
Wife and StepSon FREAKED out as I got the hose to put the fire down. The looks on their faces had me nearly rolling on the ground laughing!
Needless to say Wife is NOT to happy with me at the moment!

I'm tempted to put the bushes on fire again just to see their faces again!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 09-16-23 at 03:12 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-23, 03:15 PM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I have never come into a panic situation-not yet that is.

Hope I would stay as calm as you did if it should happen something around me or to me.

It can also be the surroundings that may trigger a panic reaction.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-23, 03:27 PM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Did you run out and buy toilet paper in the lock down?
You paniced. Same with water and so on.

I'm talking about the event that happens in a split second right before your eyes.
Old 09-16-23, 03:33 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Did you run out and buy toilet paper in the lock down?
You paniced. Same with water and so on.
No I did not run out to buy a toilet paper, I had enough and when I had to buy it was enough of it.

It has happened a few times when there wasn't any water available-well then I drank micro wave heated old coffee- And I clean myself when water return and make fresh coffee.

Edit
Reading your last line. No have never come in such situations that would trigger a panic reaction-Not yet.
End edit

Markus

Old 09-16-23, 04:02 PM   #5
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

"Panic" can be a relative term.

When the poop really does hit the fan, you at least want the old Adrenalin to kick in instead of locking up and going to your happy place.

I found out the hard way what good training can do when we had our bad accident on the Barbel. None of us, me included, panicked and shut down.
Instead, we went into @$$holes And Elbows Mode and fought the causality and managed to save the boat (with a three second margin between getting home and becoming a memorial in a park), although we did lose two of our guys.

That was about as close as I want to get to buying the farm.
What was odd for me was that I blacked out the bad stuff right after it happened. I didn't even know I blocked it out until we had the accident investigation. Luckily, no bad dreams or flashbacks since it happened.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-23, 04:25 PM   #6
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Mate.
I'm sorry for your moment and loss on USS Barbel.
But you said some of the truth about training. Best part was A&E.
Training does kick in given the moment and past training.
I still think some people can handle that instance and some can't. Training or not.
Old 09-16-23, 05:19 PM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

One thing I've always wondered about, there's the good "fight or flight" where everything moves in slow motion except you due to the adrenalin rush and then there's "curl up and die panic" and its cousin "screw this, I'm kicking back in peace and enjoying what's left".

Are any of them really that different?

I'm starting to think that in bad situations we go into 100% brain power to fully access just how screwed we are and then act accordingly.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-23, 05:39 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

In a radio broadcast a police officer said that there are three types of people at an accident.

1. The leader- This person take command and gives order.
2. The follower- This person has to take order to function
3. The freezer- This person just freeze and doesn't work at all.

Markus

Old 09-16-23, 07:11 PM   #9
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I’ve been out in some violent environments where my pucker factor was so intense you couldn’t drive a needle up my arse with a mallet. I do stress and my temper gets really short, though I never panicked. I had a great crew, no babysitting required we knew our jobs and each other’s job that helps a lot accomplishing the mission

But we knew our limits. One time we were called out for a SAR mission in a boat that was not even close to being designed to handle the sea state we found ourselves in. Honestly, we all knew what it was going to be like before we left but, as the saying goes our orders demanded we go out, but didn’t saying anything about having to come back . We all had similar thoughts going out but I sure as hell wasn’t going to admit defeat before we left the dock. So there we are in the Gulf Stream it’s pitch black making only about 2-3 knots against monstrous waves and wind action that blotted out the stars with another 50 plus miles to go. About two hours in Tony entered the cox’n flat and sort-a-kinda suggested that maybe RCC should get big a bigger boat out here.

Dude, that’s all I needed to hear and we were RTB baby, I was like fook this shyte. RCC called upon a 110 foot patrol boat to go out but their pussy LT said it was too rough for them. I think a 210 foot boat finally went out.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 09-17-23 at 01:36 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-23, 07:27 PM   #10
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

The closest(not very) I've ever come to a panic situation was when a subordinate accidentally fused a wrench across the terminals of a battery and started to scream my last name(only time a female has ever screamed my name by the way) I reacted in a matter of seconds grabbing a wooden broom and knocking that glowing wrench off like it was a hockey puck. Kind of impressed myself with how fast and accurately I did it. Not sure it would translate into some other panic situation, especially if I was bleeding. Not sure I would react very well to myself being injured.

The only time I couldn't hold on any longer to the strut of an airplane I looked perfect for a few seconds and then my arms started to flail about so not sure about how I'd handle a problem there. I'm glad it was a static line jump. Loved the rest of the ride down though.
Old 09-17-23, 11:48 AM   #11
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

It is not that uncommon for people not to panic when something traumatic happens to them. As others have pointed out, when the adrenalen kicks in, a lot of people gain clarity of thought.

In the military, I saw more people panic when something bad "could" happen to them or when they witnessed something bad happening to someone else.
Old 09-17-23, 11:49 AM   #12
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
In a radio broadcast a police officer said that there are three types of people at an accident.

1. The leader- This person take command and gives order.
2. The follower- This person has to take order to function
3. The freezer- This person just freeze and doesn't work at all.

Markus

Passive panic (not doing anything) is pretty common.
Old 09-17-23, 11:20 PM   #13
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

Panic: Here's panic, I was on an early morning A/C call for no cooling.I had stopped and got a drive thru of biscuits and gravy at a well known local owned franchises.45 min later 5 blocks from the homeowners house i felt a fart.But it was not... and i was on a panic ride to find a portalet in the new construction area.Where my underwear found a new home, and i was lucky there was 2 rolls of paper. I was only 10 min late for my service call. But the experience of that moment and the personal panic of that fart is a moment in time i will never forget. That was my first and last experience of panic.
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-23, 11:32 PM   #14
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

I only panic when Gorpet posts his lunacy in the forum!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-23, 12:00 AM   #15
Gorpet
Still Searching

Downloads: 364

I only panic when Gorpet posts his lunacy in the forum!??

Tks.

Last edited by Gorpet; 09-18-23 at 12:59 AM.
Gorpet is offline   Reply With Quote