SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-17-15, 07:14 AM   #1
theoffizier
Seaman

Downloads: 133
Uploads: 0
Default 100% Realism Help

Hey guys, i just started playing on 100% realism after reading a few tutorials, but i had to go down to 95% realism due to one option: This is the no god's eye mod map update. In my career, i found out that the new contacts were not visible at the map with that option enabled.
So my question is to those who play at 100% realism, how are you able to intercept the target? Do you use the hydrophone? If yes do you have any tips on how to use it or do you know any thread that contains a useful tutorial on that subject?

Thanks in advance!

I am using the LSHIII V5.1, so if there are any tips regarding this particular mod on that particular subject, please let me know.
theoffizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-15, 10:15 AM   #2
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43

By "intercept" do you mean target or find?
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-15, 10:34 AM   #3
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

If you still see your u-boat on the map you can mark the target on the map yourself using the range and bearing. Google wazoo targeting tutorial for step by step instructions.

If you don't see your u-boat on the map google hitman gui. That mod has in its documents a rundown on what the u-boats actually did. Alternatively learn maneuvering board techniques and you won't need the map anymore - you use a maneuvering board instead of the map. The US coast guard has a nice video tutorial on the basics on Vimeo.
Old 01-17-15, 11:54 AM   #4
theoffizier
Seaman

Bob, by intercept I mean find

sublynx, thanks for the information, I will search about wazoo because I can see my uboat on the map.
But, I will check also the hitman GUI, and the coastal guard tutorial because not being able to see even your own uboat sounds really interesting (is there a mod that does that?).

Thanks for the replys guys!

Last edited by theoffizier; 01-17-15 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 02:18 PM   #5
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope

I thought you meant estimating target info and intercepting at full difficulty, sorry...

One can edit the tga picture that represents the u-boat on the map. If one makes it transparent one does not know exactly where it is.
Old 01-17-15, 05:21 PM   #6
theoffizier
Seaman

English is not my mother tongue, so there might have been some misuderstandments with the vocabulary i used (sorry about that).
You will understand my question if you visit this link (from the SHIII Community manual).
http://web.archive.org/web/200710151...epting_Targets
Go to Claren's Easy Course-to-Target Plotting Method.
At the pictures you will see that at his map he has a contact, and based on that contact he makes his whole intercepting solution. The question is if you have not that contact on map (no god's eye map update), how one will be able to come close enough to the target so that his watch crew spots the target?
Old 01-18-15, 01:24 AM   #7
sublynx
Sea Lord

Ok. You use the hydrophone, or in short range visibility the radar - if it's safe to use the radar. Maneuvering board techniques can be used with both the hydrophone and the radar. Here's one way of determining range, speed and course:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...earings&page=6

Kuikueg's four bearing method.
Old 01-18-15, 01:43 AM   #8
theoffizier
Seaman

Thanks for your time sublynx, that is what I wanted!
Old 01-18-15, 05:03 AM   #9
sublynx
Sea Lord

That's good to hear! If you have problems with any of the methods I'm sure someone can help. Pisces and makman94 and many more of the frequent SH3 forum regulars are really good in understanding and explaining the geometrical problems that can arise - if they happen to have the time of course.