SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-17-14, 04:55 PM   #1
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246
Uploads: 0
Default Any good links for NYGM manual shooting??

I see so many videos on youtube for manual shooting 100% realism, yet they all have maps with ships on them, and the distance readings around their uboat. Its far from 100% realism IMO.

While I do have map contacts on, I don't always see them on the map, and I don't really have a big circle around my uboat showing me distance.

Is there any guide out there to help with this? I'd really like to shoot manually and actually get hits without just guessing

thanks
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 06:19 PM   #2
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed View Post
I see so many videos on youtube for manual shooting 100% realism, yet they all have maps with ships on them, and the distance readings around their uboat. Its far from 100% realism IMO.

While I do have map contacts on, I don't always see them on the map, and I don't really have a big circle around my uboat showing me distance.

Is there any guide out there to help with this? I'd really like to shoot manually and actually get hits without just guessing

thanks
fastfed, unless you have changed from the last mod list you showed me, you do have the bearing circles on your nav chart and attack plot. They only appear at the 3 highest zoom levels (as in zoom IN) on the nav chart and the 4 highest on the attack plot. But they are there. Think of them as a plastic compass circle which your plot party keeps placed over your sub's position and aligned with its current heading. RL, U-boat crews would certainly have used such a tool.

I confess that I remove them in my setup. Not because the compass tool is unrealistic, but because the only way I can get it is to also have those little boat-shapes for contacts at the same scale. And I don't want my crew wasting their time drawing pictures when a simple square or diamond will suffice. There is a work-around, but it involves renaming 200+ files.

This tutorial seems pretty good http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88961. It starts from a radio contact with course and speed given, which is not what you could get from the RDF on your own boat. But you do sometimes get radio contacts relayed by B-dienst, which give estimated course and speed. (Often, they are half an ocean away.) In my installation, I get no nifty little data block next to a contact. So when I get an RDF contact, I just have to take a SWAG at where it is headed and move out to try and intercept it. Exactly the guessing you mentioned. But AFAIK, that is what they had to work with RL.

Wazoo's tutorial might be helpful, too. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=206381

Once you get a visual contact, the approach can proceed pretty much along the lines of the tutorials.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 07:56 PM   #3
fastfed
Grey Wolf

argg.. It took me a few times with SH4, but once I got it, I GOT IT! You're right I do have the range thingy

Where is the Stadimeter at???

Also where is my Ship Registry book at?
Old 08-17-14, 08:24 PM   #4
fastfed
Grey Wolf

I do have the circle around my boat, but not the distance, it just shows me bearing readings and such.

when i measure with a ruler from the middle of my boat, it says .9
so its not even at 1000m

lol

where is the Ship Registry book? I have one but it seems to be all warships and no merchants. Where is the stedimeter
Old 08-17-14, 08:52 PM   #5
fastfed
Grey Wolf

LMFAO!! I just realized, this is almost impossible without a real stopwatch IN GAME!

what are we supposed to do? Even using one in real life, then you can't pause or TC .

argggggg
Old 08-17-14, 09:33 PM   #6
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed View Post
LMFAO!! I just realized, this is almost impossible without a real stopwatch IN GAME!

what are we supposed to do? Even using one in real life, then you can't pause or TC .

argggggg
Oh, yeah! There ain't no stadimeter. This is Hitman's optics. Hitman did research on the German documentation and actually looked through the surviving periscopes in museums. Ain't no stadimeters after about 39. Read the documentation with Hitman's GUI about how you gotta use the graticle in the scope to figure range. Welcome to 100% realism PLUS! Seriously, I've been doing it for a while now. get better results than with the stadimeter and faster. And you don't have to make an ID before you can get the range. Gotta practice a little though. But it works. And when that fish hits, boy do you feel good!

Yeah! You do want to put that fixed menu_1024_768.ini in soon. Didn't think about the time sync. I fixed mine right away, before I tried to use the mod.

Ship ID: You click through the nationalities. It's Handelshiffe, before Albania.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-14, 10:27 PM   #7
fastfed
Grey Wolf

ok

I'll do without the stedimeter, but the ship book only shows warships I can't find one with merchants.

Why do I care about the menu? just curious? does it fix in game stuff
thanks
Old 08-18-14, 10:40 PM   #8
fastfed
Grey Wolf

now that I can actually see the contacts on the map(didn't notice before) I can measure distance pretty easily, just drag my ruler from my boat to the contacts.
I can also measure speed,I mark the front of the contact, time for 3.15 and then mark again. measure the distance between the two marks and boom.. so now I have speed and distance.

now for AOB. this is the one I ALWAYS!!! mess up on.. what I was taught was to take my protracter and draw a line into the contact, through it to the rear, then go directly to my boats front.