SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-14, 10:15 AM   #1
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0
Default Ubisoft - Is It The Most Bugged?

I have Far Cry and Far Cry 2, SH4 - all by Ubisoft and all riddled with bugs.

One of the most frustrating and annoying is when loading a saved game in SH4 (any version) 'Passing Thermal Layer' is repeated every 5-8 seconds. I have to keep opening and closing game until it stops. Just done 3 save loads a moment ago and its still there and every save without pause - 'Weve got damage sir!!' as soon as save loads!

In FC2 a person has to have a charmed life to get through a full game, even falling through the game structure into 'never space'.

Ubisoft must be really bad how come they are still in business??? Brilliant ideas and very bad programming.

edit: ref thermal layer bug - I had to go back to leaving port, the bug is in the save.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 11:52 AM   #2
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
One of the most frustrating and annoying is when loading a saved game in SH4 (any version) 'Passing Thermal Layer' is repeated every 5-8 seconds. I have to keep opening and closing game until it stops. Just done 3 save loads a moment ago and its still there and every save without pause - 'Weve got damage sir!!' as soon as save loads!
Corrupted saves can be an issue for various reasons. What you did not clarify is whether you saved while submerged. NEVER save while submerged as all kinds of weirdness can show up. The instant damage bug is one of them, but this can also occur if you load a save made while using stock and then loading after applying a megamod. As far as Ubi still being in business, they do the same thing EA does; they buy out indie companies with successful products and use executive meddling to flood the market with rushed products and cash in before the public is aware of all the problems. By the time it is discovered, their bottom line is still black.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 12:33 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Answer to the question is "no". That award goes to DW Bradley's "Wizards & Warriors", which beat out Bethesda's "The Elder Scrolls I: Arena" by a narrow margin. SH4 probably comes in about 50 on the all time list of 100 buggiest games, SH3 somewhere around 40. Blame the internet, before the internet was invented the game companies worked harder to remove most of the bugs and didn't post halfassed patches that made the bugs worse since patch distribution was slower and more difficult. SH4 does have less excuse for bugginess than other games since the physics and AI ain't really that complex.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 01:20 PM   #4
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

If you save and reload a game, it will reprocess much of the existing info again. For instance, say you had several things damaged, it will repeat that message back to you for each item damage. Seems it did the same thing with torps fired, ect...

Can get irritating, just got to let it process through and your game should be fine...

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 03:44 PM   #5
neilbyrne
Torpedoman

Downloads: 31

The thing I've always hated about their FPS games is the inevitable scenario that you must get thru and can't because it's almost impossible. This and their gated save system can put you into situations where the only solution is to restart the game from the beginning.
neilbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 08:29 PM   #6
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

They probably spent more time and money on DRM than on physics and AI logic combined. My latest irritation is trying to put together a balanced mission, at one point I had 10 Northhampton heavy cruisers ganged up on a single Furutaka. The Furutaka was dead in the water early on, but with 90 eight inch guns against six that thing just would NOT sink. Instead half of the Northhamptons were DIW and the other half sunk after two hours of hammering. "Hit points"? Seriously? Couldn't have come up with better damage assessment than that?
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 10:40 PM   #7
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I have never had an issue with with any game from any place being buggy. I have only had issues with mods that were added to them afterwards if they were not ordered correctly or compatibel with each other.

I know some play games where they are linked to web sites like steam or what ever. You can easily get corrupt packet transfers when playing that way and get bugs causes by those. I would not play a game I had to be connected to the internt to play with.

Anything could happen along the data transfer to cause the game to become unstable and if for some reason the line goes out for weather, ISP updates or simply a network card malfunction I can still play anything while those web dependent games could not.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-14, 11:23 PM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I don't think highly of Ubisoft either.

While I don't have many CTD's, there are lots of things that are broken, poorly modeled, or unfinished, in the game. To my way of thinking, these constitute "bugs". I'm told some of these things worked better in SH3. This makes it all the more annoying.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 05:00 AM   #9
Red Devil
The Old Man

great replies and my thanks.

Saves have been on the surface, I learnt that 'trick' a long time ago.

merc4 - you should be in the guinness book of records and possibly the only person on the planet who never suffers ' bugs'

>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-03-14, 05:28 PM   #10
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I do not look for games or simulations based on eye candy. I find those with more stable platforms and those who have gracious communities such as subsim and it's wealth of knowledge.

All one must do is read game and mod documentation and previous post and most solutions can be found without asking a single question.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 11:20 AM   #11
Red Devil
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I do not look for games or simulations based on eye candy. I find those with more stable platforms and those who have gracious communities such as subsim and it's wealth of knowledge.

All one must do is read game and mod documentation and previous post and most solutions can be found without asking a single question.
unless its ubisoft
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-06-14, 08:52 PM   #12
TheMercinary60
Nub

Downloads: 15

personally i dont mind Ubisoft so much, i just tend to take things with a grain of salt and realize nothing is perfect anymore. as far as i know they have their own specific set of games that i find hard pressed to find anywhere else and i just developed a take what you can get mentality i suppose.
TheMercinary60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-14, 04:44 AM   #13
Red Devil
The Old Man

Good points ram; but the key phrase in your post was not perfect ANYMORE. For the costs of these, it bloody well should be! Development costs should also dictate that a company turn out well tried and tested products to ensure maximum retails. I agree Ubisoft do turn out a differnt sort of offering than most, but if its not right, people do not like it, fill forums with posts like these, and have a frustrated and angered attitude. And Ubisoft take zero notice.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-10-14, 01:37 AM   #14
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

I guess i'm lucky because I never encounter bugs when I play SH4.(Ok I might get the occasional ship spawning in land but it's never anything worse.)
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 08:36 AM   #15
Red Devil
The Old Man

Admiral, what ssytem specs do you use? I am on win 8.1 on my pc and win 7 on my laptop. SH4 is in both. Last night (lqaptop) SH4 crashed 'stopped working' when I just just completled an infiltration into the inner bays of Japan to drop off an agent - now THATS frustrating. This is not the first time it has 'stopped working' either. I am running RSRDC and SH4 is patched.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk