SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > SUBSIM World at War
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-11, 04:58 AM   #1
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0
Default Getting the game

This game looks great, you think, and you'd be right! It is great.

Unfortunately it's sold out now, and the only way to buy it is from ebay or some other second hand vendor.

However, the publisher, GMT games, has a list of proposed games called P500. A second print run of World At War is on that list. You can agree to purchase a game on this list at a substantial discount from the intended retail price, and once 500 people have subscribed to the game in question, GMT games will start the printing and publishing process. You are only charged once the game is ready for shipping.

GMT games have many interesting other games, including the well-known WW1 strategy game, Paths of Glory and the new game Labyrinth on the theme of terrorism and power politics in recent years.

You may subscribe to the P500 list at GMT Games, here: http://www.gmtgames.com/

The World At War website is here:

http://www.aworldatwar.org/

you will need the latest ruleset, which is at that website. it comes in online, pdf and windows helpfile versions. i recommend the windows helpfile.

finally the warplanner program used for playing this game by email is to be found here:

http://www.warplanner.com/

you will need to register to get this, but it is required for our game
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
Old 01-31-11, 05:15 AM   #2
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

It's up for a reprint? Interesting, might get it when it goes through, though I don't know if I'll be able to find any players...
Old 01-31-11, 05:30 AM   #3
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

well, that is always a problem, which is why i play online. But it is still important to support the business, and besides you never know who else likes these games in your neighbourhood.

A new version of warplanner is being designed too. it's using silverlight, but i have no idea when its release is due
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill

Last edited by joegrundman; 01-31-11 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-26-11, 09:06 AM   #4
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

well i can tell you that wp3, the next version of warplanner, doesn't use silverlight. it is all Html5, javascript and c#.

and the units are just gorgeous - i should know, i made 'em!

Last edited by joegrundman; 08-27-11 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-26-11, 02:04 PM   #5
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316

Nice, Joe!
Old 09-01-11, 09:15 AM   #6
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

the whole thing just runs in your browser too! even on ipads