SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-11, 12:00 PM   #1
analogoldguy
Watch

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default I'd like to get quicker into battles

Hello.

I have been playing SH3 and 4 occasionly for a couple of months,.. I'd would say that I'm not likely to be playing at realistic levels any time soon.

What I'd like to do is to get more quickly into action situations. (not needing to travel great distances). I have searched the downloads, and once saw the words "quick battles" somewhere, I should have bookmarked it.

Also, things get confusing when I read that certain mods are needed to run many other downloads. I also really haven't found what would be described as small battles or quick battles.

I'm using right now stock SH3 and SH4 updated to the newest for both, but not to 1.5. I'd say that my SH4 is running graphically close to its' maximum right now, at roughly 25 frames most of the time. SH3 is very comfortably above that.

Could anyone give me some good advice on quicker battles please?
Thanks, Bob P.
analogoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 12:11 PM   #2
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Use can always use the mission editor to make your own singles. Not that hard to do, takes maybe a few hours to study how if you don't know.

A guy named Tambor has made several, so I'll check on those, but not sure if they would work with 1.4
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 12:12 PM   #3
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 806
Uploads: 4

There's a single mission (quick mission) section on the main (first) page, that allows you select a few 'quickies'.
These missions usually place you just over the horizon from the enemy.
If you're getting 25fps at maximum settings, that is good!
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 01:22 PM   #4
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Yup, Single Missions (in your Main Menu) is the way to go. It'll put you in the thick of things straight off.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 02:18 PM   #5
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Another thing, stock 1.4 has a few sucky single missions. If you load RSRD mod for 1.4, it includes many better designed single missions.
Old 03-16-11, 04:48 PM   #6
analogoldguy
Watch

Oh man,I went into Missions Downloads, and here's what I am faced with, (unless I went to the wrong section)....

tambor198's stock v1.5 missions pack.... (probably only for 1.5)

tambor198's TMO+RSRDC missions pack ....possibly for 1.4, but I must also have these two...

Trigger Maru Overhauled ver 2.0 552.71 MB!! (on dial-up)!!! arghhhh I must go to the public library for this!

“Run Silent, Run Deep, the Campaign” (RSRDC) 85.83 MB!! .... Arrrgh!!! (Ditto)
--------------------------------
Rockin Robbins' Convoy from Hell (1.5 KB) .... I downloaded this...
SH4_Single Missions Series (32.6 KB)
It contains: Sh4Sms.exe program and "TestMission", single mission series,
with only two sub missions, Start and SanFran. Also a "StartPic.jpg"

Sh4Sms.exe??...I must put an .exe program into my SH4 ? Hmmm.
also,
SINGLE MISSION VERSION: Convoy SC-42, Sydney, NS to UK Uboats Deployed
NOTE: You need to have the map installed ... What map? (I am saying to myself)...Visit subsim.com for the latest multiplayer maps .... multiplayer??
I have read so many "you'll have to reinstall your SH4 (or whatever else)" posts here that I am in (totally understandable) fear of installing this stuff.

One more question to you fellows. Are TMO and RSRDC considered mostly "safe" mods?? (Armistead's advice that I might have to make them myself is sounding good at this point)

Thanks much.
Old 03-16-11, 05:23 PM   #7
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Trigger Maru Overhauled 2.0 works with SH4 1.5 only. You have to use older version of TMO with SH4 1.4 version.

Also check that other mods you download are compatible with that older version of TMO instead of TMO 2.0.
Old 03-16-11, 08:32 PM   #8
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Yes, TMO and RSRD are both great mods. TMO is more of a gameplay mod, fixes probably 100's of issues, 100% improved graphics. Really makes the game a new game.

RSRD is a campaign mod, simply it scripts the traffic to almost historical perfection, convoys and TF much larger, etc. You'll see less randomly spawned traffic where it doesn't belong. It includes all large battles and many others. If you know your history, you can find some great stuff.

If you load either, make sure you load the correct version for 1.4. Both are still decent mods for 1.4,
Old 03-17-11, 06:39 PM   #9
analogoldguy
Watch

Default Thank you fellas!

Armistead, you mentioned mission editor. that's what I was hoping for, that lots of people had used the editors to make a new bunch of missions for stock SH3 and 4!

1.4's built-in missions are not that bad for me. If TMO fixes gameplay ,and gets 100% better graphics, that seems like something I might like (unless it brings down my frame rates).

RSRD pushes it more to realism, (which right now, I'm probably not ready for). And I must remember to get the correct version for 1.4.
-----------------------------------------------------
Vanjast- Thanks for pointing me to the single mission (quick mission) section. Not many for stock 1.4 though.. I was very surprised. I thought there would be many!

WernherVonTrapp-- Yes, single missions are the way to go. The single missions in SH4 are actually what I have enjoyed the most so far...

Kraznyi, (or just Tim) I hear you.Trigger Maru Overhauled 2.0 works with SH4 1.5 only. I must get the older version to work with 1.4 And make sure that other mods will work with that. So, no TMO 2.0 at all!
-----------------------------------------
Jan Kyster...ver. 1.5 from Amazon.. I went and looked, some there. I actually started signing up again, and right away I am getting a long history of everything I've looked at (even on other websites)! (I hate it, they are too pushy for me)! I quit them before because of that, so I stopped signing up.

And thanks for the offer about the collections you offered to ship me, I'll probably send a PM to you on that. Thanks again everybody! Bob P.
Old 03-18-11, 03:47 AM   #10
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I'm just arrived to SH4, so please excuse me if this has been already answered before. I tried the search but didn't get any results.

Has anybody ported SH1 or SHCE missions to SH4?. There were quite a bunch of them.