SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-11, 08:00 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Free versus payware security software - don't be cheap!

I have learned my lesson.

I already posted this as a reply in another thread, but since it is a new theme in itself and may be of interest for many people here using freeware security solutions, I post it again as a separate thread.

--------------------
I run XP on a PC.

I also do maintenance for the notebook of my Mom (Vista), and have just installed a new one for a friend of my parents (W7), checking out his old one first (XP). On all these, and my system as well, Avira Free AntiVir was installed plus free firewalls by Zonealarm or Comodo. No scanning results. I learned the lesson to switch all systems, including mine, to payware Avira Premium Security Suite after learning that Tahoe free scanners for example to not guard email traffic (didn't know that before). And immediately on all systems malware was detected, and critical internet traffic was blocked and reported.

The difference between the free versions of Virus-Scanners and Firewalls, and payware suites, obviously has been underestimated by me. I would recommend now to everybody to walk on the safe side of the road and always run full versions of according security software, not just free solutions.

I also learned that the Comodo firewall, which once was rated as very good, in the recent 12 months or so has found to be extremely leaky (German PC magazine reporting this in a test, I think it was c't). The Comodo firewall, and their scanner as well, was found to be sensationally unsafe.

--------------------

I add this:
until end of February, Avira is combining its suite with a free copy of TuneUp2010, it costs you nothing and is the full version. Running it many modules helped tremendously to clean all systems, the including registry cleaner and defragger found hundreds of entries that CCleaner for example never found, and the included harddrive defragger software in quality mode does a tremendously better job than the Microsoft tool that communes with XP, Vista or W7. You can also launch basic cleanup operations in a row with just one click. Very nice and recommended program! It offer many other easy-to-use and reliably working system optimization tools, too.
Old 02-16-11, 09:41 AM   #2
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

I use Microsoft security essentials
works quite well
when i download files off the internet, i almost always scan it with an online scanner like http://vscan.novirusthanks.org/

Host based firewalls and IDSes are quite unnecessary in my opinion
Your NAT is your best firewall, because if your hiding behind an overloaded NAT, it is impossible for hackers to connect to your computer. also if possible, use network firewalls and network IDSs
Old 02-16-11, 10:41 AM   #3
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I use Avast and Windows Defender. Never had a problem.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 10:55 AM   #4
Respenus
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

I've used Kaspersky for many years now and since then, not a problem in site. Right now I'm using Kaspersky PURE and even though it is a tad on the expensive side, and Kaspersky is well known for using up system resources like crazy, the additional tools and protection sure come in handy. You would newer guess how many legit, everyday sites have bugs hidden in them.

Respenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 11:42 AM   #5
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

Avast FTW.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 12:54 PM   #6
Kaleun
Chief

Downloads: 266

hi,

If (like me!) you're in a Barclays ibank customer (internet banking) they are now offering a 3 machine commercial Licence of Kaspersky Internet security 2011 valid for one year for FREE per customer!

Works a treat!
Kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 01:06 PM   #7
kiwi_2005
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 1

Atm i use Avast and Windows 7's firewall.

Those who can't laugh at themselves leave the job to others.

kiwi_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 03:08 PM   #8
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

McAfee Internet Security here. I really have no complaints about the overall performance, but I renewed by subscription today. What followed was an hour-long ordeal of downloading, rebooting and a blue screen of death followed by disk checking and finally settings adjustments. What a freaking hassle that was. I think the problem was that Windows Defender decided to turn itself back on when McAfee rebooted, and those two just don't get along.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 04:36 PM   #9
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Defraggler, MS Essentials, and CCCleaner for me. Have yet to see a reason* to switch to paid software.

( *= But surely, I hear you cry, once there is a reason it will be too late! )

Don't call me Shirley.
Old 02-16-11, 05:11 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

I decided on basis of general feedback from various sources, own experience with Avira service over the past years, and a recent test of security suite by c't, a leading German PC quality magazine. What stayed on my mind from all this:

Norton is causing less technmcial problems than in earlier years, but still is a system hog. It has top rank recognition and malware stopping rates, though.

Kaspersky was found to have gone down in quality recently, with no longer top rank recognition performance, still quite some system damand, and a no longer top class firewall.

Comodo was found to be the worst firewall of all, with very huge security leaks.

Panda seems to be a secret tip amongst people, at least eiother the virusscanner or the firewall, but I forgot which one exactly. It is also cheap.

Avast is a good allrounder.

Avira is a top rate antivirus scanner and a good allrounder firewall. It is a package with one of the lowest system demands around. It'S only problem is that at higher settings it tends to create more false positives, but that is better than missing correct alarms.

@Tchocky,

you are living dangerous. I thought the way you did until recently, and thought spending money on complete suites is unneeded, but my story from three different systems should tell you how wrong I was. All three systems were infested, with the free versions of softwares not recognising it, but the payware suite immediately did. I am also pretty sure that you have no email protection with free scanners.

CCleaner is no security software, but an optimiser. You can take from my story that it does no complete job on registry cleaning. I use it myself, but now add TuneUp to it.

I used to use Spyware S&D in poast years,m but deinstalled it longer time ago, the immunisation function caused a lot of trouble and system slowings (a problem shared by many, I learned), and at least it was incompatible for some time with Avira in the past. Then there was A-squared, which also started to cause delaxys and problems longer time ago, so I abandoned it, same is true for Ad-Aware. I used all these also on the Vista-system of my mother, but there they were CREEPINGLY slow. VBista seems to hate these.
Currently, none of these often-referred programs is used on any of the three systems I maintain.

A good alternative re-scan-option in case of a find by your regular software when actively scanning, is Malware's Anti-Malware. The scanner is free, and it does the job. When my Avira finds something, I clean it via Avira, run a re-scan by Avira, and just then do a third scan via Anti-Malware.

Bit-Defender offers a free online scanning service.
Old 02-16-11, 07:06 PM   #11
the_tyrant
Admiral

Downloads: 58

you know, I once used a firewall that says "attacks blocked"
the number stayed at 0 for years
Did anyone of you ever had a firewall that blocked an attack?
Old 02-16-11, 11:43 PM   #12
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Ouch I'm still using COMODO.

But I think I've found the source of my PC hacking or rootkits. Shady or charged software install. I may owe certain party an apology for pointing my finger at them but then again experience has taught me those people have lost every credibility in my eyes.
Old 02-17-11, 01:06 AM   #13
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_2005 View Post
Atm i use Avast and Windows 7's firewall.
Same, never need anything more.

Used Comodo firewall+ in the past though, with Avast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
you know, I once used a firewall that says "attacks blocked"
the number stayed at 0 for years
Did anyone of you ever had a firewall that blocked an attack?
Have a look at your router's security log, if it keeps one (and if you have one, obviously).

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 01:23 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Sticking with pay/premium anti-virus software here. I cannot imagine some free AV group has the same resources as Norton or McAfee. If they're not brining in real $$ to pay employees and stay on top of emerging threats, how secure can it be? You get what you pay for.
Old 02-17-11, 02:22 AM   #15
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Fair enough, but it depends on the user I think. If you don't stick your nose in the wrong places, you don't need the very best in security.

Simply forcing a scan on a file you just downloaded, particularly executables, can save you trouble as well. It's really about what you do and how conscious you are of possible threats.

Pretty sure I could just shut down my AV and firewall and only rely on my router's firewall and still never get an infection. The 2nd PC here that's running as a Minecraft server is only firewalled, didn't bother with AV.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote