Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-30-10, 02:53 AM   #1
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Has SH5 kept your interest?

A question for those THAT OWN AND HAVE PLAYED THE GAME...Do you find yourself playing the game as much, or more, now than when you first bought it? Or less? In either case, why? What is it that has a) kept you interested or b) made you lose interest?

I've decided not to make this a poll because the stats don't interest me, only the reasons one way or the other - I've read more than a handful of "I've stopped playing the game for now" posts recently, and when some are from guys who only two months ago were criticising anyone who had a negative comment about SH5, it makes me curious about the game's replayability.

No ulterior motive here, just curious for your opinion, one way or the other.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 02:58 AM   #2
Ablemaster
An able master

Downloads: 121
Uploads: 5

Dont play it now, removed from hd and using arma2 im afraid, had enough of all the problems with it, may check it out in the future, after a couple of patches, but not caring right now.
Old 04-30-10, 02:59 AM   #3
Gotmilk
Planesman

Downloads: 35

Played only one week and then got frustrated. Have not played after that.
Gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 03:21 AM   #4
captainprid
Watch Officer

Downloads: 23

Played it and loved it at first. Clocked the game and immediately started again but despite all the excellent mods, I have lost patience with it now and stopped playing it mainly because of the bugs.

I really have been willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt but I have just got a bit sick of it. I will certainly give it another go when the patch comes out but until then, i'm not touching it.

I would be very interested to see the DRM figures for log on's and how they differ week to week

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
captainprid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 03:52 AM   #5
Rip
Commodore

Downloads: 39

Haven't played in a couple weeks because I spend all my playing time wishing it worked properly. DRM has become a non-issue because I won't play until patched if it had NO copy protection at all.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 03:57 AM   #6
severniae
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've got to say I'm playing it more and more at the moment. The mods are really bringing the game more to life already for me. TheDarkWraith's UI mod definately makes a huge contribution to the game, and even better that he's been updating and has pretty much released a new version each day recently! ddrgn's feared hunters and elite campaign mods make the DD's a real challenge - I just installed them last night, went out on patrol, and came back with only half a ship!

I think SH5 is continually evolving, and that is what I like about it, to be honest, the mods are so good that I've stopped worrying about when the patch is coming out. (plus it worries me a little, I dont want all my mods to suddenly become incompatible!!!)

I think all those that have given up should perhaps wait a few months then come back. The modders are doing an excellent job, and 1.2 is only just around the corner and I truly believe that in 6 months to a year SH5 will almost certianly outclass SH3, and become the best subsim we've ever seen. It just needs us to have the patience to wait for the dev's to sort out the game engine (It does use wayyy to much GPU time as far as I'm concerned) and other little bugs, and wait for the modders to release some truly special mod pack! I think that in 5 years time, when/if ubi bring out, say, Silent Hunter 7, we'll all sit in here and moan and complain saying 'AAAAGH! Its nowhere as good as SH5!!!!!!!!!'
Old 04-30-10, 03:59 AM   #7
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

I play it no more, waiting for patch. Until then I'm back to WoW.

Too much bugs and most of all, the AI is completely retarded. Campaign is boring based on "fire &refit" and even if there are mods that improve the AI behaviour, is not enough. I reistalled it yesterday again, but quited after an hour. The only reason that makes me to play it now and then is the graphics, is the only thing in SH5 that I really love.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 04:01 AM   #8
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

I haven't played it for about a month. It is in large part because the game still needs fixing IMO. Don't care about the DRM, hasn't bothered me a bit when I did play.

To be fair though I have been playing alot of rFactor because of a new 1972 Bathurst mod That has made it pretty easy to put SHV on the shelf until it is improved. I do see the potential, but it isn't there yet for me.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 04:03 AM   #9
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
To be fair though I have been playing alot of rFactor because of a new 972 Bathurst mod
Oh yeah, you mentioned that before...I forgot about that. Must check it out...must check it out...
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 05:32 AM   #10
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1

When I first bought the game the only upset I had was the AI. Coming from SH4 with TMO I'm used to needing an extra change of underwear when I attack convoys. With this game I could sail into Scapa (I literally did this 3 times..) and get all the tonnage I want and then slink away..

This AI feeling, plus the having to start a campaign always from 39 and not from say 41 or 42 let me to just play on and off. However, after downloading Feared Hunters and Uboat Killer AI Mod, the AI is back up to par. Merchies even evade after one has been hit!

You can really see the potential in this with Mods attached. As for bugs I haven't really seen any other then the crew on deck (when submerged) and kamikaze merchies in Kiel. DRM for me is a non issue as my firewall and Norton are up to date and my connection is a good one.

All in all, I've found myself playing it more and more with Mods. Excellent game and I look forward to its latest Mods and Patches
Old 04-30-10, 06:14 AM   #11
smilinicon
Bosun

Downloads: 69

I enjoy it and am playing it alot, though I will probably lose interest before the patch comes out.

Major buzz kill for me was getting rammed by a Tribal Class DD at full speed and sustaining only 1% damage to my flak gun. It rolled my sub over but inside there was no change at all and all was fine. I called my sub dead and started another campaign.
smilinicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 06:34 AM   #12
fw66
Torpedoman

Downloads: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
plus the having to start a campaign always from 39 and not from say 41 or 42 let me to just play on and off.
I don't own SH5 but I believe you can start at a different date once you've completed the different operations in your first campaign:

from this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...41#post1342641

Post #78 "Have you returned to the start campaign menu after completing a number of campaigns ?" in response to post #76 "You cant load up the game and think screw 1939 its a cakewalk I fancy starting in 1940 or 41"
fw66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 06:44 AM   #13
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Short answer... yup.

Long answer...

The only major gripe I have with it is the way damage to AI ships is not carried over after a Save Game.

So I went on a numer of forums and complained and started several diferent threads and got into a number of e-duels with people. I also suggested that other people organize a boycott and suggested that other people hire a lawyer and start a class action suit. Then I quit those forums in a dramatic, public manner so that the President of Ubisoft would know he had made a serious mistake.

Just kidding. Actually I just adjusted my gameplay approach so now I never attack unless I have time to finish 'em off.

Other than that I find it enjoyable (with several Mods, of course). And as I get farther into the campaign, very challenging.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 06:49 AM   #14
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

I stopped playing it and my interest in it slowly dies. They have handled this game like amateurs. They released it in the worst state i've seen in a very long time and they delay patch because they want to add some extra modtools or possibility to add more ships from SH4. That's cool of course but i don't appreciate being told to wait an extra month to play a game i bought almost 2 months ago, which is more or less unplayable out of the box. They could have released the patch now with 1st priority fixes and released a new patch later on with the rest.
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Ragtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-10, 06:57 AM   #15
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default It's the mods

The game itself doesn't hold my loyalty. If it weren't for the mods and the anticipation of what the game 'could' be, I'd not play it.

My experience with SH3 & 4 is that the game is vastly improved once the mods are in place.

(I'm not a modder.)