SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-10, 06:21 AM   #1
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

Default So which is better value?

Intel Core i7-930 2.80Ghz
Intel P55 or X58 Chipset (Depends on CPU)
Video Card 1GB ATI 5750 2D/3D PCI-E
Memory 8GB DDR3 1333 Memory (Intel Approved)
Hard Disk 2TB SATA 2
ATX CASE SHAW TITAN G9 Medium Tower Case
Monitor 24” BENQ G2420HD 2ms HDMI HD
Keyboard + Mouse
Sound Card High Definition Audio CODEC 6 Channel Sound Integrated) High Definition
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Network Card (Integrated)
DVD RW ASUS Dual Layer DVD-+RW Burner
Speaker Teac MMS51 5.1Speakers System
Operating Sys Windows 7 PRO 64bit
Price: AU$2030

AMD x4 Core Quad 965 3.40Ghz
AMD 890GX Chipset
Video Card 1GB ATI 5750 2D/3D PCI-E
Memory 8GB DDR3 1333 Memory (AMD Approved)
Hard Disk 2TB SATA 2 k
ATX CASE SHAW TITAN G9 Medium Tower Case SHAW TITAN G9 Medium Tower Case
Monitor 24” BENQ G2420HD 2ms HDMI HD 24” BENQ G2420HD 2ms HDMI HD
Keyboard/Mouse
Sound Card High Definition Audio CODEC 6 Channel Sound (Integrated)
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Network Card (Integrated)
DVD RW ASUS Dual Layer DVD-+RW Burner
Speaker Teac MMS51 5.1Speakers System
Operating Sys Windows 7 PRO 64bit
Price: AU$1780

Looking for a new gaming rig and these two are on offer from MSY here in oz. So which would you buy? Is the i7 worth the extra bucks?
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 08:37 AM   #2
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Mate, for $250 Aussie more I would go with the Intel i7-930 socket 1366 system. Obviously the RAM spec will then be different because the i7-9xx series use the X58 motherboards with triple channel memory. And in that case you won't have 8GB of memory but rather either a 3GB configuration (3 x 1 GB sticks) or a 6GB configuration (3 x 2GB sticks). Forget 12GB memory setup as that is just crazy.

The other cheaper option with Intel is to go with a socket 1156 based P55 board with either an i5-750 or an i7-860 with dual channel memory. And if you go down this route I wouldn't even bother with 8GB of memory as what are you going to use 8GB for? Better off with 4GB (2 x 2GB sticks in dual channel). Same goes with the AMD option.

8GB memory is overkill and money that could be spent elsewhere if you ask me even with Windows 7 64bit version. Bottom line is that you will find next to zero benefit in games or indeed in every day computing with 8GB over 4GB memory. Your wallet will only be lighter for it.

Indeed here is an article at Tom's Hardware which talks about how much system memory is required.

Who is MSY? Can't say I have heard of them back home though it has been 8 years that I have been living now in the UK. Certainly can't remember them in Sydney. Have you considered building your own machine? What are you going to use it for? Hopefully the guys here at Subsim can help you out.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Konovalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 08:54 AM   #3
wetgoat
Loader

Downloads: 101

Was in this same prediciment 2 months ago. Key here being ''mostly for gaming''. I went the amd route. I felt (and still do) it is more bang for the buck in this situation.I am non-bias when it comes to intel vs amd. My only concern is preformance/cost. Take the money you save and put it back in your pocket, or bump your graphics card up a notch or two. That being said, it truly boils down to a matter of individual taste. The amd cpu I went with is not even as fast as the one you have listed, and it screams! Whichever of the two systems you decide on should last a long time into the future with nothing more than a possible graphics card update somewhere down the road. Hope you enjoy your new system as much as I enjoy mine.
wetgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 04:41 PM   #4
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Identical systems other than mainboard and processor.

The key here as WetGoat stated is usage. You said its a game machine. The I7 and Phenom II's are REALLY close on gaming performance. The I7 shines when you start doing stuff like audio/video editing.

Also - since your going with an ATI card - AMD owns ATI - so your going to get that extra microgram of performance by matching manufacturers.

Save the $250 mate - go AMD.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 05:33 PM   #5
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the info fella's it's always good to hear other opinions before forking our this kind of money.

In terms of usage I do quite a bit of video, audio and graphics editing so maybe the i7 could be the way to go there. I have a digital A/V editing suite that requires a bit of grunt to get renders from AV inputs down to reasonable times.

My current core duo with 4GB of RAM takes about an hour and a half to render about 15-20 mins of HD video with sound.

I recently got a HD video camera and really noticed the difference in rendering times when I started working in 1080p format over the old SD.

I also do a lot of RAW image processing from my camera's to final format which normally takes about 1-3 minutes for a 15M image to .gif or .jpg depending on what I'm doing to it.

I'm looking for something that I can the times down quite a bit get at least 4-5 years out of before doing any upgrades other than maybe a video card.

@Konovalov, thanks for the intel on the RAM. Good tip and nice info from Toms. Always a good source of intel. I wasn't sure whether there would be an advantage to having the 8GB with the HD rendering but I assume a lot depends on the processor as well.

MSY are one of the cheapest parts guys around and are in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and now Perth. They are mostly no frills and no fuss and have the most basic website on the internet. http://www.msy.com.au/
Effectively just a bunch of regularly updated PDF's.

I buy most of my parts and upgrades there and do most of these myself, but TBH I couldn't be ar$ed building my own, when I can get someone else to put it together for me. Particularly when I'd be buying most of the bits from the same guys anyway and the labour component of the price is next to nothing anyway.
Old 03-24-10, 05:48 PM   #6
stabiz
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 14

Tarjak, I render a lot of HD as well, and looked at some tests (toms hardware I believe). The i7 920 outperforms my E8500 by 300-400% (40 minute rendering with core 2 duo was 10 minutes on the i7, etc, etc) in video rendering. Haha, thats insane, I am getting one.
Old 03-24-10, 06:44 PM   #7
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Tarjak, Looking at your used of your system then definately go with the i7-920 and 6GB tri-channel RAM. You should find you really cut down your time with post-processing of RAW images and even more so the 920 should blitz your HD video work in quicktime. Good luck with your new system. It sounds great.
"In a Christian context, sexuality is traditionally seen as a consequence of the Fall, but for Muslims, it is an anticipation of paradise. So I can say, I think, that I was validly converted to Islam by a teenage French Jewish nudist." Sheikh Abdul-Hakim Murad (Timothy Winter)
Old 03-24-10, 08:49 PM   #8
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
With the additional info - I second (third or whatever number it is) the change to the I7 chip.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-10, 09:39 PM   #9
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Cheers sounds like it might be worth the extra then. Thanks for your help guys. Now I just have to convice the Minister for War and Finance that the upgrade needs doing.
Old 03-25-10, 07:49 AM   #10
Konovalov
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak View Post
Cheers sounds like it might be worth the extra then. Thanks for your help guys. Now I just have to convice the Minister for War and Finance that the upgrade needs doing.
That's easy. Just take her shopping. It works for me.