SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-23-09, 01:04 AM   #1
Starforce2
Planesman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default noticed something odd today on stock 1.5 Iowa BB

Firstly, ingame it is all black except for the gun turrets. Honestly, I thought this was the case in the museum too (maybe I last gave a darn when I had 1.4) but when I go to the museum it's fully textured.

So what gives? Why is the museum Iowa properly texture, while the one that shows up ingame black?
Old 11-23-09, 01:33 AM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

most of the time when that happens to ships added to the game its because a texture file is missing but i dont think thats the problem here.

anyway it doesnt hurt to know how to fix it if it happens because of a missing file so this is what i was told to do if that happens.

look in the sea folders ship file and make sure there is a second texture file for it with the suffix "_lr"

this is the most common reason this happens

there is a file called "NBB_Iowa_N01" which is the high resolution version and then there is a low resolution version with the "_lr" suffix in the name such as "NBB_Iowa_N01_lr"

the lr stands for "low resolution" and its a smaller sized version of the bigger file so you can create one by making a copy of the file and resizing the bigger file to be the same size as the other low res files then you rename it by adding the "_lr" at the end.
Old 11-23-09, 02:08 PM   #3
Starforce2
Planesman

so you think the game might be using the high res version in the museum mode while trying to use a missing low res version in the game mode? Problem is there seems to be a _lr for each texture already.
Old 11-23-09, 04:34 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starforce2 View Post
so you think the game might be using the high res version in the museum mode while trying to use a missing low res version in the game mode? Problem is there seems to be a _lr for each texture already.
no, thats the reason i said "i dont think thats the problem here"

but im most cases my explanation solves the problem.

i dont think there is a problem with that ship in the game itself because that ship is so very popular and im certain it would have been reported long ago if it was an sh4 issue so look for something in your game, "mod soup" i would guess so try uninstalling all your mods then delete the jsgme "mods" folder and create a new one in case its backup files are corrupted
Old 11-23-09, 07:58 PM   #5
Starforce2
Planesman

Firstly, I'm an idiot. It was the colorado battleship not the iowa that was the problem in the mission and yes the LR wasn't there. It really does help if I look at the right ship folder.

Also the fixes worked on the black swan and flowers. Though oddly enough the flower worked ingame last night when I tried my german mission...yet didn't work in the museum mode lol.
Old 11-23-09, 08:06 PM   #6
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

some are reversed and you have the low res image but not the hi res

often if you fly over you see the ship in black at distance or up close depending on the missing image. the game uses low res at distance and hi res up close so depending on how close you are you may not notice an image is missing untill just the right situation comes up.