SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-17, 12:54 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Perfect Torpedoes Mod

Little "what if " mod where the magnetic and contact detonator scandal never happened. A perfect world where BuOrd properly tested and built torpedoes before the war. Mrk 14 works well, very small chance of premature detonations(left slight chance, to throw off once in a while and lets face it, magnetic influence was a tricky thing) , duds rarely happen. Torpedoes do not run deeper than set(mostly). Basically, from start of war Mark 14 is a very reliable weapon.

Other torpedo models now have magnetic detonators as well, since in theory the magnetic exploders would have remained in use and improve since were successful in Mark 14.

Using Mark 18 with mag detonator is interesting. Testing I was able to take down large merchants with non volatile cargo (ammo or fuel) with one Mark 18 placed amidships under keel.

One error I left in addition to small chance of premature detonatoion is possibility of circle runs. I had one during surface attack on a convoy testing this in late 1943. I was busy firing at ships and third torpedo circled back(wish your crew would warn) we couldnt get out of the way in time, detonated under stern, ruined my sub. (USS Pollack surfaced this in real life, but the Mark 14 ran deep, while it damaged her, knocked her power out etc in middle of attack, did not sink her)

Anyway, great bonus of this is you can leave the "dud" torpedoes option on, but not loose renown for disabling it and having functional torpedoes in early war.

May use this mod freely , just give me credit.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=5208
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 03:22 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hmmmmm. The problem with the magnetic detonator wasn't so much in the detonator itself. It sensed when a magnetic field line was interfered with by a large metal mass above the torpedo and with the torpedo between the center of earth and the large metal mass.

That worked fine at or above Latitude 45, where the magnetic field lines were pretty vertical or at least 45 degrees to the surface of the water. But in the South Pacific, the field lines were nearly parallel to the surface of the water. There was no field line interrupted when the torpedo passed below the keel! The torpedo did not explode, even if the magnetic exploder was working perfectly.

You see, BUORD simply never thought to test their top secret device at low latitudes. If they had they would know that a perfectly working device wouldn't work.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 04:21 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Hmmmmm. The problem with the magnetic detonator wasn't so much in the detonator itself. It sensed when a magnetic field line was interfered with by a large metal mass above the torpedo and with the torpedo between the center of earth and the large metal mass.

That worked fine at or above Latitude 45, where the magnetic field lines were pretty vertical or at least 45 degrees to the surface of the water. But in the South Pacific, the field lines were nearly parallel to the surface of the water. There was no field line interrupted when the torpedo passed below the keel! The torpedo did not explode, even if the magnetic exploder was working perfectly.

You see, BUORD simply never thought to test their top secret device at low latitudes. If they had they would know that a perfectly working device wouldn't work.

Yep. Little what if mod like I said. I get bored using it but figured others may like it.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 05:41 PM   #4
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

Magnetic exploder main flaw was in the theory itself - a ship traveling north/south versus a ship traveling east/west will have different shaped magnetic fields, which is why the same setting would pass a foot under a target on one course and premature 100 yards from the beam of a target on a different course. Also the magnetic mine was developed before the magnetic exploder in torpedoes, which is why the early German torpedoes didn't work - the British were degaussing their ships to defeat the magnetic mine, and unknowingly protecting their ships from the torpedoes at the same time. There's also the problem with earth's magnetic field not being consistent - there's nothing supernatural about the Bermuda triangle, it's just an area with large iron deposits close to the surface which makes compasses go crazy. I used airborne magnetic anomaly detectors back in the 70s, and those had to be calibrated every time you flew.

In my opinion Ralph Christie should have been court martialed, keelhauled, then forced to walk the plank, that bozo was insisting the magnetic exploders were fine 3 years after the Germans found out they didn't work.
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote