SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-08, 07:31 PM   #1
Steeltrap
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
NYGM + Aircraft

OK, so I got NYGM 3.0 running.

First patrol, set sail 6th Sept 1939 in a new VIIB, bound for AM18.

Followed usual course NW along deep water off Norway, skirting the continental shelf of the North Sea.

Eventually that leads to a westerly course, well north of Scapa etc.

Now, weather 13m/s, no clouds, no precip, light 'sea-mist'. Running at 7kts - no point in bashing into these seas and wasting fuel.

I figure the war has been running only a week or so - was 9th Sept. by the time I was north of the Orkneys. Likelihood of aircraft should be low, and their chances of seeing me at this speed in these seas should be lower still.

Well.....

Watch crew calls out about an aircraft spotted. 2 Hurricanes, closing fast. Crash dive!

Cannon shells etc all over the place, reports of damage.
Levelled off at 80m then took stock:
- minimal damage.
- several crew wounded.
- hull integrity 79% - WTF???

So I figure I was unlucky. Wait several hours then surface.

Within 28 minutes EXACTLY the same thing happens.

Wait until dusk. Surface.
Within 24 minutes, EXACTLY the same thing happens.

Right....wait until dark. Surface and run until dawn.

Sure enough, within about 30 minutes of light - EXACTLY the same thing happens.
Now my hull integrity is down to 39%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My questions are:
1. is this now 'normal'? This seems to me to be entirely over the top for that part of the sea in that weather at that date.

2. Does the fact that aircraft appeared within 25 minutes (+/- 3 minutes) from the time of my surfacing (or there being enough light to rate as 'day') indicate a problem? Smells pretty fishy to me. Bear in mind I had barely enough time to recharge batteries before the next attack. This is even when I remain submerged for hours after the previous attack.

3. Surely reaching 39% hull integrity without anything other than 20mm cannon shells hitting me is getting a bit absurd??

I understand aircraft are a thing to be feared, but if this is how it is on 9th Spetember 1939 I think it has gone waaaaaaaaaaaay too far. Have things got to the point that, if travelling ANYWHERE that might have air coverage, irrespective of date, you need to remain submerged during daylight?

Would like to hear from others about their experiences under 3.0.

Don't get me wrong - I really love NYGM (and was enjoying GWX until I got sick of the instability problems my machine seemed to be having, which is entirely possibly due to an error on my part in installation). Just want to see what others are experiencing.

Cheers
Old 09-17-08, 04:47 AM   #2
nirwana
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 17

nm still sleepy...
Old 09-17-08, 05:02 AM   #3
kranz
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

I've encountered the same. I mean-many planes near minefield area. I have hull integrity status turned off so dunno how much damaged I sustained but it is really wierd that you got so badly hurt by 20mm. But I think that the amount of planes is quite OK in comparison to clean sh3. You should also improve your watch station. I am able to avoid circa 80% of such attacks at 10 kn.
Old 09-17-08, 07:08 AM   #4
NGT
Lieutenant

Downloads: 289
Uploads: 3
Default Hull integrity is down to 39%......

Hello Steeltrap,

Sorry for the question, but you are close to the continent: are you sure not to hit the bottom during the crash dive? The sea is not too deep, even less than 80 m, depending of area.

Regards
Old 09-17-08, 05:33 PM   #5
Steeltrap
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Few points in reply:

RE: Improving watch station.
It's my first patrol. I have a watch-qualified officer, 2 watch qualified Petty Officers, and 2 of the highest level seaman. i.e. for the first patrol, it is the best qualified watch that is possible.

RE: closeness to continent.
I was on the edge of where the water changes from deep channel (1000+ meters) to the continental shelf. Depth not an issue.

RE: Near minefield.
No, I was north of British Isles, west of Norway - no minefields there.
Old 09-18-08, 06:51 AM   #6
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

No need to have two threads about the same thing opened by the same user in two different forums

Go here to continue the discussion: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=142191

I'm closing this one to prevent cross-posting etc,