SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-15-13, 02:50 AM   #1
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17
Default Windows 8.1 Release Date

Stop the whining, Win 8.1 will be released October 18th:

Quote:
Microsoft has announced that Windows 8.1 will be coming October 18th via the Windows Store and retail outlets and will be a free update for those who already have Windows 8 installed on their machines.
SOURCE

Notable is the return of the start button, enhancements to the Modern interface, and a bunch more.

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-13, 06:50 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! View Post
Stop the whining
But, but, but . . . there will always be something to moan about, it's what makes us human.
Old 10-21-13, 06:27 AM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Released - and already pulled again. The update bricks some devices. It is said to be a problem that can be solved - but you need some background info for that, the normal user in an exlcusive meaning of "using" it only probably does not know it. If you have no second device available to access the web, you also find it tough to search for answers.

Windows 8. Gotta love it. The new design features in 8.1 already are under fire, too, since they are fakes to some degree, regarding what people really wanted to get. Sales of W8 continue to go hurtingly slow.

I like that! The more it hurts MS, the better. Unfortunately, other fields of MS do well, and so compensate for the debacle, hiding the sting from it.

MS really deliberately refuses to deliver the product customers want, and insists on that customers should humbly want what MS wants them to want. A§§e§.

Maybe we should just pay a mandatory yearly MS tax to them instead, the government could collect it together with the other taxes. At least it would free us from getting annoyed with software like this.
Old 10-21-13, 09:41 AM   #4
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

The update of 8.1 "bricks" as you say all devices not just some although some users may not notice for sometime.
And as you have to buy the full version of 8.1 is it really worth it ?. Well to be honest yes is the simple answer the beta version of 8.1 runs soooo much better than 8.
And beside that some twit decided to remove the fish from 8.1 load screen and place the stupid blue window again.
So to sum up don't upgrade windows 8 to 8.1 at this time unless you want a world of hurt trying to find out why some of your devices have stopped working
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 08:11 AM   #5
DragonRider
Predator of the sea

Downloads: 6

Once again tried to update to 8.1 and this time it seems to have worked Ok
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-13, 07:48 PM   #6
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Has anyone heard what's going on with Windows 9? I was told a while back that they were working on it.... Or maybe it's actually 8.1?

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 09:48 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

W9 Probably not before 2015. And Windows RT and Windows Phone probably will get molten into one OS. Rumour says a W8.2 update will come 2014, and then close the ugly W8 chapter as early as they can.

Rumour also says that from 2017 on, at the earliest, Windows 10 will come and run completely from the cloud.

I hope they get it right with W9. That will be the last Windows version then that I'll maybe buy, winning some years time before switching off Windows over here. Never will there be a time coming when I accept to have my OS being run and launched form a cloud - any "security" then will become a completely meaningless word.
Old 12-20-13, 01:28 PM   #8
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Rumour also says that from 2017 on, at the earliest, Windows 10 will come and run completely from the cloud.
More like a bloody nightmare if they do that!

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 06:28 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Possibly Microsoft conlcudes that it has had it: they seem to u-turn over their pressuring of users to get used to that awful Metro-look in W8.1. A possible "update 1" will have the much-demanded regular Windows desktop as default, and Metro optional only.

They seem to want calming the situation with angry and disgusted users before in Spring next year they throw Windows 9 on the market.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic..._for_Windows_8