Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-27-24, 10:08 AM   #1
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Default Memorial day 2024

For many, this day serves as a backdrop for the beginning of Summer and all that goes with it. Memorial day is in fact a day to remember those that have made the ultimate sacrifice in the very freedoms we all enjoy. This solemn day was unofficially created three years after the Civil War ended May 5, 1868 to place flags on the graves of honored dead.

In 1966, Congress and President Lyndon Johnson declared Waterloo, N.Y., the
“birthplace” of Memorial Day.

https://www.va.gov/opa/publications/...ate/memday.pdf

While this is a traditional American Holiday, I also think of our vets from England, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, France and other countries whom the United States fought alongside and whose citizens in their respective countries military arms died in the preservation of life, Liberty and Freedom.

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-24, 10:35 AM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

This is my dad just before the end of his tour in Vietnam. Little did we know he already had been exposed to enough Agent Orange to kill him. Rest in Peace pop.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-24, 03:07 AM   #3
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

My dad in Korea. He often told us about how he had a great friendship with US and Aussie soldiers
Old 05-28-24, 10:04 AM   #4
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
This is my dad just before the end of his tour in Vietnam. Little did we know he already had been exposed to enough Agent Orange to kill him. Rest in Peace pop.

Great picture of your dad. Our Vietnam era veterans were treated terribly during their Military Service in Vietnam. Although these Vets are now recognized, nothing will make up for the horrible treatment they received upon returning home. The lingering health Issues they had from Agent Orange, mental problems and other Issues were treated as an afterthought, much as a hateful person would treat a stray dog. These guys didn't want to be in Vietnam to begin with but did so as they thought it was their duty. They also had faith that their Government knew best. We know now our Government didn't have a clue.

We have a few older guys in Church who wouldn't wear their “ Colors “ of their time in Vietnam. Thankfully, Our Pastor spoke with them and had a long conversation with them and now these Gentlemen wear the respective patches of the Military branches they served in with pride, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Army and Coast Guard. It's as it should be. Much respect to your “ Pop ” and also your Military service.
At our Annual Blessings of the Bikes, to kick off the riding season, there is a heavy Military presence to honor all of our vets, living and deceased and their respective families. Our Pastor is adamant about showing that respect. A number of the Motorcycle Riders at Church are Military, former Military, Police Officers and also former Police Officers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
My dad in Korea. He often told us about how he had a great friendship with US and Aussie soldiers

You always mention your Dad and always with pride. Again, It's as it should be. Your respect was enough that you followed him into the Military and I believe your brother as well. It was the same in our family with regards to Military Service and a great many saw intense action in a number of U.S wars including in WW2. From the European Theaters to the Pacific Action in fighting the Japanese, a number of them lost their lives and or badly injured too.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-24, 10:17 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
...that's 'cause he made the coffee! IE: my own dad, a 1st Lt. WWII nav/engineer on B-29s was slated for recall in Korea where Migs were destroying outdated B-29s. But his work as a Pratt Engineering graduate chemical engineer at National Foods developing coffee and teas for GI-rations earned him a deferment from Korean service....and I thus came along in '51. I still keep his deferment documents in my mancave filecabinet! It is likely that his work was was served up by Brit-barristas on the Korean front. He then moved his growing family to frigid Minnesota in '52 to spend 17 years making instant-coffee blends for most of the nation's major supermarket chains. His scotchaholic/tobacco(4-packs-a-day) afflicted tastebuds determind which blends of expensive Arabica beans, Brazilian, and cheaper African filler beans combination were the right flavor. A great 4' diameter circular sampling table in his manager's office with white teacups of differing combos still sticks in my mind! I grind my own French-roast beans everyday for an enjoyable black(no creme or sugar added) cup I'm sipping as I post...instant-coffee is beneath my caffeinated dignity!??

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote