SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-24, 04:17 PM   #286
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0

Being an American Indian, I avoid sugar, corn syrup, and all that stuff, and I'm careful about what kind of carbohydrates I eat. Type 2 diabetes is waiting in the wings if I get carried away with what I eat. I try to limit total sugar intake to 100 grams or less per day.

My Dad came down with type 2 diabetes. But he was a stubborn old bear, and he reformed his diet and started getting more exercise and he beat it. He was actually medically confirmed to no longer be diabetic.

So it is possible to turn your health around, even later in life.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-24, 05:01 PM   #287
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oubaas View Post
Being an American Indian, I avoid sugar, corn syrup, and all that stuff, and I'm careful about what kind of carbohydrates I eat. Type 2 diabetes is waiting in the wings if I get carried away with what I eat. I try to limit total sugar intake to 100 grams or less per day.
Carbs are sugars, sugars are carbs. Two names, one thing. There are no good carbs. The less, the better. Best is: none, means: if we have sufficient red meat, fish, animal protein and fat available, (we essentially need both, if we eat only lean meat (inclduing chicken etc), we can suffer from nitrogen intoxication sooner or later, and derail our kidneys seriously, thats why I avoid lean filet and lean meats in general, and if I find the ground beef I bought too lean, I add butter or tallow to the dish). In Germany, ground beef sold over the counter usually isn ver ylean, while pre-packed ground beef you pick from the supermarket fridge usually has more fat since fat is considered to be a cheap filler and meat-replacer, its getting looked down on). I prefer it fattier. I read and hear that in the US you almost get no no-lite milk products anymore, its all fat-reduced. Ignoring for a moment that I avoid unfermented milk products in general, I wonder wjhats wrong with people'S tngue,s for lite milk prooiczts taste - well, bad at best, awful more commonly. This habit of selling only lite products unfortunately gets propagated more and more in German stores, too. Terrible.

Daily intake of 100 gr of hidden of defined white sugar? Wowh, that is 11-14 cubes of refined sugar. Very very much, in my book.

But I understand that life still must be injoyable. I sin myself, too, occasionally. And often regret it afterwards when I derailed my digestion, so I learn the hard way to sin less and lesser. Bread, pasta, pans full of veggies I cannot eat anymore without getting mild cramps or turning "liquid". I am completely problem-free if eating only meats, fat. And the good thing is: I lost my preference for the attse of pasta and the likes. I simply dont like it that much at all anymore, and certainly not as much anyore as I did before.

What I find hard to bypass competely is the taste of certain types of nougat chocolate, (carb-reduced) beer, and coffee with condensed mik and a clear taste of - nevertheless mild - sweetness. I try to follow rules, however: in winter not more than one and in summer not more than two bottles of beer, a limited ammount of nougat not more often than once per week, and for the coffee I use Aspartam, one of the lesser evils in the world of sweeteners. Just one mug of coffee per day, in the late morning. Later the day i dont like the taste of it anymore anyway, its strange, my preference for the taste of it has a clear timetable that came all by itself and has nothing to do with needing caffeine. I dont need caffeine, I do not even feel it. I sometimes use cream in the coffee, but by taste I prefer condensed milk, 10% fat. I dirnk no more malts , and a Bailey only every couple of weeks. The taste for wine I have lost completely. Never no sweet drinks, soft drinks, never.

P.S. I took your self-description as American Indian as a reference to being a native American, but if you meant you are an Asian Indian from India living in the US, then my remark on Indian tribes in the prairie of course was - misleading... Has somebody ever taken revenge on Columbus for creating this mess? LOL

Last edited by Skybird; 05-21-24 at 05:19 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-24, 05:35 PM   #288
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Native American. Northeastern woodland type.

Old 05-23-24, 10:15 AM   #289
Skybird
Soaring

Four Youtube Shorts. Diet and autism.

https://youtube.com/shorts/GbPzLbnHj6M?feature=shared

https://youtube.com/shorts/Et6cgSgieuk?feature=shared

https://youtube.com/shorts/T1FgZVuaGp4?feature=shared

https://youtube.com/shorts/CB7Hw61pL4c?feature=shared
Old 05-23-24, 10:22 AM   #290
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:

You mean - pigmentation like this...?

Old 05-23-24, 10:59 AM   #291
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:

Know any Lakota speakers? Trying figure out what heck gawama means. Saw the name written down as such in several census from the late 1880’s

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-24, 11:10 AM   #292
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You mean - pigmentation like this...?

Only during my military career.
Old 05-23-24, 11:17 AM   #293
Oubaas
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Know any Lakota speakers? Trying figure out what heck gawama means. Saw the name written down as such in several census from the late 1880’s
No, sorry. I know a few words in the Mohawk language, but no Lakota. My family left the reservation the year the Titanic sunk and never looked back. They got jobs, started businesses, and did pretty well. I was raised very mainstream American, and spent my adult life in the military. These days, I'm retired and have a small ranch.

There are quite a few websites on the Lakota language. You might be able to dig around on Google and come up with something.

Old 05-23-24, 09:02 PM   #294
Skybird
Soaring