View Single Post
Old 01-27-17, 04:29 PM   #3639
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
After rethinking the suggestions about testing FOTAS Ultimate Beta 0.52 with a sterile version, I did a clean sweep. I uninstalled the game and wiped all references on the computer (game, Docs, etc. , including those in the Registry, and rebooted. Then I loaded a new V1.3 from the CD, applied the patches to bring first to 1.4 and then 1.5, and added only the latest FOTARS Ultimate after reinstalling JSGME in the SH4 base directory.

Starting a new career, I encountered no previously reported anomalies until I received an assignment to Recon Osaka. Now I know that you are trimming down the recon missions, but I wanted to run it anyway as a legitimate assignment in the current release. Here's what I found. As you can see I have a fairly heavy rig, able to handle almost anything SH4 can throw at it without stuttering, but Osaka is not good for me. As soon as I neared the inner bay, passing through the narrow (shore gun-guarded passage), the game slowed my computer to a crawl. The fastest it would run was at 32x tc, and that very herky-jerkily (?). Finally, after being able to crawl to the center of the deep water area, and running at 1x tc, the game CTD'd. The third time it happened I just quit in frustration. The closer you get to Osaka, the worse the performance until it won't run at all.

It may be that there is so much traffic and port detail to handle, but I have been there before under TMO and TMO/RSRDC with no similar experience.

All this is anecdotal, but perhaps there is enough there that another, more formal testing process, can find a bug or ???

Thanks for listening!
Unfortunately, the only real way to test is like this, by actually playing the game. When we run the player in the Mission Editor, it doesn't spawn the individual vessels, only the groups, and there isn't any collision detection. Plus, no player vessel. Not only that, but if a mistake in routing is made, and a ship is routed over dry land, the ME's player doesn't care, and just drives the ship right on over. You won't know there's a problem until actually in the game, and the vessel strikes the land mass, collision detection says a massive collision occurred, and then initiates an explosion, fire, smoke & mayhem...

I'll look even closer at the Osaka area. We are having a good bit of trouble with the harbor areas...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote