View Single Post
Old 09-10-17, 06:12 PM   #3571
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
to answer your original question, yes, i am referring to the area just West of Ireland, where all the routes converge to / from Ireland / England. talk about a spaghetti bowl of route packages....geeez.

i was browsing through Lant_convoys_44 and saw 37 groups and i swear half them go through that area.

so, let me see if i understand what happens when a convoy meets a player's sub:
convoy is a single entity on a certain course and speed when it meets the player's sub.
it then spawns into the various ships that compose it according the parameters set forth in the DOT.mis file in the Group and Unit sections?
if that is true then only a percentage of the ships defined in the Group section will spawn due to the spawn percentages present?
this seems terribly computer-like computing...why would the app take a dive? i have written more CPU-centric programs and "the spawn" is not very complex when compared to other programs. just thinking.......
You've got the general idea correct. The game doesn't "draw" any 3D artwork until it has to. So, while you're cruising about the ocean, and are outside of what we guess is about a 30k radius circle, the game just tracks the RGG Groups as a whole, as numbers, not as individual ships in those groups. Once you get inside that "drawing" radius, then it will do the necessary calculations as found in the RGG Properties page and the "Define Group Contents" settings in the ME. If you look at the file in a text editor, you can see it all in one place. This "technique" is one of the reasons SH4 runs better than SH3, and even the earlier versions of SH4 (v1.3 and earlier). The game will then draw the vessels as necessary to be seen by the player at the horizon (20k). However, a bad "call" to one vessel in the whole group can and does bring the whole game down. Narrowing down the possibilities is key to finding an issue. If it crashes every time at the same place every time, then you'd look at all of the 80-100% generating ships - OR - something to do with the land, if you're withing 30k of the land mass, say a gun emplacement... but I don't think you're within that range... maybe... What we've found with FotRSU is that the amount of vessels and / or airplanes generated can definitely affect your computer. When Truk was all messed up in earlier versions, there would be 100 plus vessels all congregated in the atoll, from about 4 or 5 groups, and it didn't crash on my computer, but it sure was slow, to the point that one airplane may well have crashed me. I'd say one airplane is worth four ships as far as computer-intensive goes, just my guess. So look for airbases nearby also, that might have a bad plane call or CFG...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote