Thread: [TEC] Modding SH3
View Single Post
Old 12-24-17, 07:38 AM   #104
Tycho
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 264
Uploads: 1

Not much time for SH3 lately, but here I made something to enhance my game.
I sail hardcore way. Without my boat on map, I use dead reckoning and coastal navigation. Deep in the sea, except dead reckoning, two or three time per day I make fixes by ctrl+left click, if the sky objects are visible.
First, look over this thread by Sjizzle:Long / lat.

So, if debug is activated in EnvSim controller, we will have this thing on screen.
It will be on every external camera directly over the scene, under the Gui. The whole looks:

I decide to make use of this.
Well, I need only Long/Lat information, now let's dig, from where this come. Probably from the EnvSim.act file, and yes I found it there.
First, I don't need this red compass thing, it show the camera orientation with respect to the world directions. Found some bool and switch it off.
Next are these color index/ratio informations, also not needed. Just changed its color to transparent, now this part is invisible.
Now, where to put Long/Lat? First, I thought about upper right corner of the screen.
Ops, setback. There is only one byte for vertical coordinate, I can't move it more than FF.
For horizontal coordinate it is the whole word, so no problem there.

And here a idea come in my mind. I moved the Long/Lat information in the lower left part of the screen and cut a hole in my interface.
Then I took the Stiebler's Weather meter graphic element, moved and changed it, to cover the Long/Lat. Made "none fog" and "light fog" with some transparency, medium and havy fog without transparency.
So in bad weather Long/Lat is covered and not visible. Screens:

Yes, there have weather conditions, that spoil the impression, like: light fog and overcast clouds.
But, I have enough self control, to not use it in these cases.
If it is possible for Stiebler to make the weather meter to count also the clouds state, not only fog state....?
Screen:

Now, what to do with this? Calculate and plot on map. Let's do it.

What we have here, Long: -8,19221 and Lat: 43,42171
Obviously, we are at 8° and a something West of the Greenwich, 43° and a something North of the Equator.
In SH3 world, 1° is 120 km. So we take the number after decimal, like whole and multiply it by 1.2
We get the distance in meters. Plot it on map after appropriate degree.
We can use a calculator, or by hand on paper, but I like to do it directly in game, so I use sliderule, and it come to this.
We multiply 19 and 1/4 by 1.2 and the result is 23km and 50m, and plot this on map:

Then, multiply 42 and a little by 1.2 and the result is 50km and 500m, and plot this on map:

Now, the tricky part, take the horizontal (Long) line, grab the zero side and move it straight up and make it vertical.
The same with vertical (Lat) line, grab the zero side and make it horizontal. The two line must cross, and where they cross is our position.
Screens:

If we do it with calculator, the results are:
19220x1.2=23064
42171x1.2=50605

If we check the exact position, it is on mark 1.
Screen:

So, with calculator it will be absolutely correct.
But, when you sail without boat on map, you get used to that your exact position is not so important and needed.
In fact, the real U-boat almost all of the time are not on exact position, but on assumed position.
Even for a few hours after fix they have accumulated several miles of incorrectness.
You can see this in most of U-boat KTB's. And probably, their Celestial fixes were also not so accurate, a few hundred meters are not a problem, there.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all.