View Single Post
Old 06-19-17, 06:41 AM   #4761
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
The more I learn the less I know. 😜 My system was set to 24-bit, 41,100 KHz. In looking deeper into the individual .wav files I see quite a mix of numbers of channels, bit rates, and KHz numbers. There are mono 16-bit, 41,000kHz, stereo 16, 24, and 32 bit (some of the latter are "floating, whatever that means), and at 41,000 and 44000 (or so). The only ones playable by my particular setup were those recorded as stereo. None of the game or sound card setting affected that playability.

In doing my little conversion project, I chose the middle road because they match the defaults in my Creative Spundblaster Z card. That is, I am converting all mono .wav files currently found in the ...data/sound folder to Stereo, 24-bit, at 41,100 KHz. It is actually a fun project. I'm working the .wav files alphabetically and am currently just through the "H" see, the Hurricane_airplane file. That's right, I'm doing every one, whether they are used or not. I may leave the ones marked as "Sample" files alone, though.

When finished, there will be a JSGME-ready file suitable for use at least by those with Soundblaster Z or compatible cards. If it turns out that 16-bit is an absolute maximum for some others, I will make a second file for that too. I hope this is not going to step on any toes. My effort, besides allowing me to hear the appropriate sounds in the game, is directed at standardizing all the visible .wav files. That cannot be a bad thing.
You may have found an issue there with the game... You could continue with your project if you want, but I'd like to go through the files currently in the game, and set them all to the same sample rate and bit-depth, and see if that makes a difference for you. That was part of the original games problem, in having "mixed" audio rates and bit-depths. Old XP did fine with that, as mentioned earlier, but from Vista onwards, Windows is very persnickety about those things due to the DRM layers in the OS... I'll PM you a link for a download "Test" file of some form or other...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote